COVID- 19 VACCINE SHOT

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: COVID- 19 VACCINE SHOT

Post by Quann » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:21 pm

Thank god we have Scoopy's hot political takes to set Insider and myself straight or we'd all be lost on here at UMassHoops. Thank you for your service sir :D

Back to the COVID jab. Can someone explain Uncle Joe's assertion that this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated as he keeps stating day after day? I'm pretty sure there have been thousands of vaccinated folks that have come down as COVID positive over the last few weeks. His rhetoric doesn't really jive with reality but maybe one of his few supporters left on here can explain what he is talking about besides just purposely being a divisive a-hole.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:49 pm

I believe he is speaking about hospitalizations and deaths. Although we never actually get that data. Omicron has thrown all the covid Karens for a loop. Now that the unspeakable has happened and they got it, it is no longer about case counts. You know what many have been saying for over a year.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:35 pm

The CDC posts data comparing hospitalizations for the vaccinated vs unvaccinated: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... accination

Additionally, this CDC graphic shows the rate of positivity was 5x higher in the unvaccinated, and the rate of death was 14x higher, and 20x higher than vaccinated + booster shot. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ine-status

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:47 pm

^^^^
Thank you! Great info, you're a much better messenger than our senile POTUS.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:55 am

Good find Juice.. Honestly thats all they need to show.. numbers don't lie. Thats why I got the booster.. Even if it lessens my chance by 10%.. worth it to me

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am

No problem guys, happy to post it. It was this thread that actually encouraged me to find the data. It took less than 5 minutes, well maybe a few more because I didn't find the CDC site to be totally user friendly.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:16 am

It's so simple: Get vaccinated (and boosted), wear a mask if you want/are required, and generally be smart about your health.

I do wish more people took this seriously when it became apparent this was serious. We'd be in much better shape now if so. If more people had gotten vaccinated earlier on, we'd not be dealing with this hospitalization/death issue now with the newer variants (Delta and Omicron specifically).

Alas, handle your business and we'll get through this.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:48 am

^^^^^
It's not that simple and the younger you are the less of a need for this therapeutic for healthy people. I'm sorry but if you are vaccinating your healthy five year old with this experimental therapeutic, I think you are insane but that is my opinion and people are free to do what they choose. Again, you want to get vaccinated go right ahead but these government mandates for a shot that does not stop the spread are absolute madness.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:07 pm

Where is all the outrage for government mandate shots for diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, rubella and chickenpox, and mumps? I assume at your age you have children, and if so, you gave them mandated shots before the age of 5. Practice what you preach little man.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:27 pm

I think the "outrage" for this particular vaccine (maybe it's more like hesitancy?) when compared to the vaccines listed above is that those have been developed and tried and true over decades. This is brand new and, while I support vaccination (two shots and a booster over here), I understand why some would be hesitant to shoot their 5 yr olds up with it.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:17 pm

Do the skeptics think they have time to be hesitant?

Even if the polio vaccine was "tried and true". Which honestly are we really going with the notion that 1955 testing/medicine was more refined than 2021? It killed nobody compared to covid. 3k a year? COVID killed 800k+ Americans so far. In terms of deadliness, the world hasn't seen something like this since HIV/AIDs. Idk how many UMassHoops.com folks were around back then, but my grandparents got the shots as kids. No questions asked. Maybe folks were a little less paranoid back then.

Idk how you can look out at the world over the last two years and think this is something you can fuck around with. And similarly, how do you think that we're ever going to return to a normal way of life if you don't take the necessary precautions and treatments. We have the means to drastically reduce the odds of hospitalization and death. If you buy into alt-media scare tactics over favorable odds. Idk what to tell ya.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:26 pm

All about vaccines here, but I can't speak to outrage about vaccines that were created in 1923, 1890, 1926, 1950, 1963, 1969, 1995 (I was 13 - I don't recall an outrage but who knows), and 1948. Maybe there were some people at those times against it? Maybe not? I don't think many here on this message board can speak to any outrage against them.

What I do suspect, though, is that the general populous trusts those mentioned because they are as old as they are and have proven tried and true.

The Covid Vaccine has so far proven to mitigate serious symptoms in anyone that does contract the virus. That in and of itself makes it worth taking this. Hopefully, after a bit of time, this is like the Flu and you can choose to get the vaccine or not without it being a problem for the rest of humanity.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:35 pm

Exactly what Juice Stand said comparing this to other vaccines that have been tried and tested and around for decades is such a terrible comparison but I’m not shocked Scoopy made it. This disease poses almost zero risk to kids under 18 that are healthy so there isn’t a very compelling argument to giving them the experimental shots. Comparing it to polio which ravaged the young is another foolish argument. If you are overweight, immuno compromised or older it definitely makes sense. A healthy kid of 20 in great shape, I don’t see the real need to get the shot given the statistics in that age group. I’m also skeptical of constantly boosting your body every few months introducing these spike proteins. You think 4 of these shots like they are doing in Israel in less than 12 months is good for people? People should be skeptical, Pfizer is on pace for over 100 billion in revenue in 2022. They are getting filthy rich off this pandemic and they have a history of being a horrible, morally bankrupt company that will do anything to make a quick buck, like the majority of the pharmaceutical industry.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 pm

I'm a healthy 20-something. I can assure you I regularly put more harmful substances in my body than whatever the booster shots do. 🍻 :D
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-fvyGw-cc
Here is a no BS data driven analysis of what is currently going on. Not the alarmist BS thats on TV
From this am out of NY.. 37% of hospital admissions with covid have no symptoms. 50% of covid hospital admissions went there for something else and tested positive in the hospital. Also, almost no boosted patients. This doesn't lessen the strain on the hospital because of staffing and quarantine issues. Numbers like these should be very encouraging.