Supreme Court on Player Compensation

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
KahunaK
Senior

Supreme Court on Player Compensation

Post by KahunaK » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:37 pm

This thread could be in both the football and bball sections. The SC is looking into whether there can be any caps on what college players can be paid (by schools, for endorsements etc.). If the SC rules in favor of the players (which it probably should) then there will be a fundamental shift in D1 sports.

Imagine a booster saying to a prospect- Come to State U and my business will have you endorse my company for $$$$$$$. Top players will go to a handful of schools with wealthy donors. In my mind it will be a mess. Pro football and bball should really have minor leagues like baseball and hockey.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory ... dlines_hed

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Supreme Court on Player Compensation

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Well, we still have the Nathan Agencies, right? :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:13 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:05 pm Well, we still have the Nathan Agencies, right? :lol:
The Hanger will have to come up bigtime (they're still in business, right?)
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Five College Movers is our big supporter on twitter. They could have the guys working on the trucks. Keep 'em all in shape. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:47 am

Supreme Court 9-0 against the NCAA! Bottom line: Is this a day to be remembered because we will start losing our better recruits to D1 schools that can offer more? The decision is on a narrower scope than many will interpret it to be.

NBC News @NBCNews · 1h
US Supreme Court says the NCAA violated antitrust laws when it limited the amount students could receive for musical instruments, scientific equipment, postgraduate scholarships, tutoring, academic awards and paid internships.

Discuss. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Anything mentioned about phone jack fees being reimbursed? Asking for a friend....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:39 pm

This is the end of the current structure of college athletics. It may mean lots of schools move away from scholarship programs as it will be very expensive in the long run. This ruling is just the tip of the iceberg (see below)-see the last sentence.

Justice Kavanaugh wrote a concurring opinion, closing with:

To be sure, the NCAA and its member colleges maintain important traditions that have become part of the fabric of America—game days in Tuscaloosa and South Bend; the packed gyms in Storrs and Durham; the women’s and men’s lacrosse championships on Memorial Day weekend; track and field meets in Eugene; the spring softball and baseball World Series in Oklahoma City and Omaha; the list goes on. But those traditions alone cannot justify the NCAA’s decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated. Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:31 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 pm Anything mentioned about phone jack fees being reimbursed? Asking for a friend....
Your "friend" is a serial tweeter this afternoon! Good stuff.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:31 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 pm Anything mentioned about phone jack fees being reimbursed? Asking for a friend....
Your "friend" is a serial tweeter this afternoon! Good stuff.
She's fantastic... love following her and the cause she is fighting for.

Another old friend, Mr. Luke Bonner, is also worth a follow for any of you interested in this cause.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:35 pm

A couple of posts back mentions Justice Kavanaugh saying that the athletes are not being fairly compensated. Personally, if I had anywhere near the talent to play four years of a varsity sport, I would have considered four years tuition free (throw in whatever stipends there are) to be pretty decent compensation.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:15 pm

harbo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:35 pm A couple of posts back mentions Justice Kavanaugh saying that the athletes are not being fairly compensated. Personally, if I had anywhere near the talent to play four years of a varsity sport, I would have considered four years tuition free (throw in whatever stipends there are) to be pretty decent compensation.
While I agree with your premise in general(since I paid for 6 years of college), the amount the top athletes get pale in comparison to what everyone else makes (coaches, ADs, NCAA suits). In the power 5, these guys are making tons of dough off of their players. The highest paid state employees in almost all states are the football or bball coaches. So many of the players also never really get to choose what courses to take and if they graduate, they get a less than stellar degree. I personally think that the NFL and NBA should have minor leagues like hockey and baseball so we can eliminate the fallacy of the "student-athlete".

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:50 pm

I also am surprised with the lack of success for football and basketball minor leagues. About four decades ago, Bridgeport CT had a semi-pro team (Hi-Ho Daddario Jets if I recall correctly). Don't recall how many other teams were in the league, whether they had an affiliation with an NFL team or if current college players were allowed to play. I don't recall how long that experiment lasted. I could not tell you how many minor-league football leagues there have been since that time. But now, there apparently is an NFL developmental league coming in 2023 https://nflsummerleague.com/. Something tells me that the NCAA will get far better tv ratings.
How many people here watched any games in this year's semi-pro league? I watched the second half (and OT!) of one game and all I can remember is their experimental overtime (one coach gets to pick the yard line to place the ball at the start of OT then the other coach decides whether to play offense or defense). Oh yeah, there was the kicker who is probably no longer a semi-pro kicker.

I keep waiting for the NBA DLeague to take off. I believe they are now aiming for HS grads to go through a development program. The problem is that they will will be going up against 22+-year-olds and they will be missing out on the exposure that the NCAA provides. There is just not an overwhelming hunger for fans to show up at DLeague games and probably less interest in watching on tv or online. I imagine some uncooked stars would excel in a DLeague environment, but many more would flounder.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:35 pm

Once you go to the D League and start getting paid tho, you burn any college eligibility no? Theres only so many spots, and how many actually make it?
Pretty big risk
Time to Win

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:34 pm

So now it is official- athletes can be paid....oh I mean they can pursue endorsements. So now boosters who own a car dealership/restaurant or really any business can now say-Come to State U and we'll pay you $200K for endorsing us. This is the true professionalism of college sports. I don't think that UMASS has the deep-pocketed alums that the power 5 schools have.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ness-deals

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:38 am

I can envision endorsement patches all over uniforms for various businesses like the european teams. "Dave's Dumpster Service" or "Paul's Pizza Palace" across the back of jerseys :shock:
Time to Win