Supreme Court on Player Compensation

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: Supreme Court on Player Compensation

Post by Quann » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:22 am

KahunaK wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:34 pm So now it is official- athletes can be paid....oh I mean they can pursue endorsements. So now boosters who own a car dealership/restaurant or really any business can now say-Come to State U and we'll pay you $200K for endorsing us. This is the true professionalism of college sports. I don't think that UMASS has the deep-pocketed alums that the power 5 schools have.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ness-deals
I guess this is what the Luke Bonner types that have been fighting for this wanted? Pretty depressing to me, seems like the end of college athletics. Hopefully that's hyperbole.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 am

A very "glass half full" article by Matt V. on this subject re: UMass.
https://www.masslive.com/umass/2021/07/ ... rsday.html

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Just a random thought on a lazy evening...
I would not expect the golf team to solicit an endorsement from Antonio's.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 am

In this morning Charlotte paper there was an article where high school athletes want compensation.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am

^^^^^^
It'll seep into every sport. I guess it's just depressing that this is going to make all sports about the almighty dollar even moreso than before.

BullmooseGEO
Sophomore

Post by BullmooseGEO » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:31 pm

^This is called "capitalism."

I see some parallels between what's happening in NCAA now to what happened in baseball when the reserve clause was abolished in baseball. Lots of folks fearing that it was going to change the game, and, well, it did -- but baseball still exists, and people watch it. I, for one, will continue watching and supporting the student-athlete on my Big Green, Minutemen, and Wildcats teams (the latter at least while I work at the University of Arizona).

One can argue the merits of capitalism, but, to function properly, it requires the talent to be paid, period. It is actually quite perplexing to me that I can pay an undergraduate lab assistant but the basketball coach can't pay his point guard for essentially doing the same thing -- representing the institution (the former in scientific papers, the latter on television)! Just doesn't seem right to me...

Now, I wonder if the long-term consequence of student-athlete compensation is that schools will re-focus their effort on foreign recruiting (again, somewhat like MLB did after reserve clause was abolished).

Finally, I realize that one can pull apart my comparison of what's happening in college sports to what was happening in baseball in the 70's. I only know about that period from history books (and a wonderful documentary by Ken Burns). Of course, I realize the two situation aren't the same. They are just similar to me. I see them both as talent (finally) getting paid what they deserve...
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:30 am

"Money... so they say... is the root of all evil today"
Time to Win

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Well, this is the end of any parity in college sports. Where would you like to go to school? Oh, where I can get $1Million in endorsement money. Mr. College Coach- what can you offer me???? The professionalism of college sports-sad to see. Not sure what the future for UMASS sports will be but it doesn't look so good.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... nick-saban

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 pm

The only way to keep this as a level playing field is to put a cap on endorsement deals. Pick a reasonable number, whatever that may be, and do it per semester or school year.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 am

Berkman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 am In this morning Charlotte paper there was an article where high school athletes want compensation.
Already happening!

https://www.espn.com/high-school/story/ ... tball-star