Upton Bell artifacts arrive

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Upton Bell artifacts arrive

Post by Old Cage » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:14 pm

Back in April I posted that we were going to receive a large collection from Upton Bell. I'll let you research him and his dad. It has arrived:

https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/articl ... e-historic

“The Upton Bell Collection looks at artifacts from college and professional football along with their history through the eyes of my family from the late 1890s to today,” says Bell. “It is an honor to have it housed in the W. E. B. Du Bois Library at UMass Amherst, alongside Du Bois’s collection, that of a giant in education and civil rights, and co-founder of the NAACP. It is also a privilege for my collection to reside alongside legendary sports agent Mark McCormack, and for it to be adjacent to the Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management, the number one sport management department in the world.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI: The library's SCUA group - Special Collections and University Archives - is on a roll. I know of at least three other large gifts besides this and Mark McCormack's material that we have received - one of a massive amount of early folk and jazz music documents from the Boston/Cambridge area, the Daniel Ellsberg papers (a while ago now), and recently material for a documentary about fabled Boston radio station WBCN and its role in the protest of the 60's and 70's.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Upton Bell artifacts arrive

Post by SignMan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:41 pm

awesome collection to go see, when ???
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:48 pm

The person who really made a huge contribution to the SCUA and UMASS was a guy named Robert Cox. His passing was a huge blow to the library and UMASS. See his obit below.

https://www.gazettenet.com/RobertCox-hg-052820-34494565

I met him a few times and you could not help but love this guy. He had an energy and excitement about him that was palpable. He had a vison for the SCUA. You wanted him and the SCUA to succeed.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:53 pm

"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."