It's nice that we are expected to survive....

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

It's nice that we are expected to survive....

Post by Old Cage » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:22 pm

....but Lowell maybe, and Boston and Dartmouth not so much:

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/07/c ... lysis.html

(I have watched Scott Galloway make guest appearances for years on CNBC. He's often "out there" but a very bright guy.)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: It's nice that we are expected to survive....

Post by Quann » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 pm

I can see some of the expensive small private schools not surviving but I’ll put money on all of the UMass schools being just fine. Seems a bit hyperbolic to me, I think kids will flocking to state schools as a result of this pandemic.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Survival is all about state support not being pulled back, IMO. We really have no idea what the budget shortfall will be in MASS, nor the legislature/governor's response.

If you review what is happening in states around the country, there are threats of a pullback of financial support for colleges and universities of 25%+.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Survival of the university is not really a question in my mind. Massachusetts needs an affordable alternative to the private schools and all the UMASS campuses fulfill that role. The question for this board is "will the athletic departments of these schools survive in their current form?". I suspect not. Cuts in the number of scholarship will probably be the first step followed by the elimination of sports. For UMASS, I would think that the football program gets a serious review (especially given what happened at UCONN). The silver lining is that UMASS did not rely heavily on ticket sales to fund any of their programs.

If COVID 19 lasts a long time, there will be a serious reckoning at private schools in addition to state schools with possible realignment down the road. If power 5 schools don't get the tv revenue and ticket sales are zero there has to be a reevaluation on how big a role sports plays on their campuses.

Wisconsin is sounding the alarm.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... n-canceled

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:31 am

With the amount of money UMass dumped into football, I don’t see them walking away from that investment unless something really bad happens. With a projected 15% shortfall in FY21, my guess is that some programs are on the chopping block. Baseball is probably first on that list. Maybe one or two other men’s sports are on that list, too.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 am

I've assumed that the Russ Yarworth retirement was his acceptance of an offered package. Good for him if that is the case. Do we know of any other Department employees that are stepping down?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:30 am

Old Cage wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 am I've assumed that the Russ Yarworth retirement was his acceptance of an offered package.
That was announced back on March 11th, so I doubt it had to do with the pandemic situation

https://umassathletics.com/news/2020/3/ ... coach.aspx

I haven't heard of anyone in that situation but I'm sure it's on the table as an option for some. The Department is doing temp furloughs with some of the administration staff and we already know about the temporary pay cuts for RB, MM and WB.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 pm

IV - You may be correct, but there is now a formal package: https://www.umass.edu/humres/vsip

Bob Newcomb has followed Yarworth, doing it within the dates of the offer:
https://umassathletics.com/news/2020/7/ ... coach.aspx