COVID-19 Discussion

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: COVID-19 Discussion

Post by Quann » Tue May 19, 2020 8:07 am

^^^^^
Really stinks they have to but very classy gesture by all three men.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed May 20, 2020 12:21 pm

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-w ... shly_trial

One study which may offer a chance for a bit of a reprieve through the summer months and while work continues on a vaccine. Dangerous part is that if we don't pay attention, it can return with some vengeance come the cooler weather, especially when we return to congregating indoors more. Common sense.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed May 20, 2020 10:58 pm

Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri May 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Biggest problem with the stay at home order, is the majority of people have gotten very unhealthy over the last couple months. Excessive eating, lack of sunlight, breathing indoor recycled air all day long, little exercise has probably destroyed a lot of otherwise healthy immune systems. While I get what they were trying to do with the social distancing protocols it might actual make people more susceptible to the virus as we all come back into contact with each other over the coming months.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm

^ I thought the novel coronavirus was completely foreign to our immune systems. We hadn't been exposed to it before, so even at our healthiest... all the fresh air and sunlight in the world weren't going to magically produce the antibodies.

Ironically I think I've gotten healthier. No commute and better home-cooked meals!
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 pm

Quann wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:46 pm Biggest problem with the stay at home order, is the majority of people have gotten very unhealthy over the last couple months. Excessive eating, lack of sunlight, breathing indoor recycled air all day long, little exercise has probably destroyed a lot of otherwise healthy immune systems. While I get what they were trying to do with the social distancing protocols it might actual make people more susceptible to the virus as we all come back into contact with each other over the coming months.
Actually, I think more people are exercising and working on themselves during this "down" time. More family time is generally good for people as well. I see lots of people walking by my house on a regular basis that I have no clue who they are. Good opportunity to start healthy routines

I think my dog is a little annoyed tho that I'm around more so he can't sleep on the couch.
Time to Win

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri May 22, 2020 10:19 pm

McKinney wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm ^ I thought the novel coronavirus was completely foreign to our immune systems. We hadn't been exposed to it before, so even at our healthiest... all the fresh air and sunlight in the world weren't going to magically produce the antibodies.
Sums it up very well.

Keeping the numbers of exposure down remains the priority.

I still the like the example of giving the kid next door the option of cutting my lawn each week of our 28-week growing season for $5000 a week, or paying him a penny the first week, then doubling it each week for the 28 weeks. If he chooses the latter, I'm rooting for some weeks for it to be either too wet to cut, or rooting for a drought where there is no growth to cut. About six weeks of wet/drought exposure would work wonders for my wallet (aka pandemic). https://www.newtraderu.com/2013/08/19/h ... -up-being/

Most of all, I'm wishing godspeed to those hunting for a vaccine.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 am

harbo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:19 pm
McKinney wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm ^ I thought the novel coronavirus was completely foreign to our immune systems. We hadn't been exposed to it before, so even at our healthiest... all the fresh air and sunlight in the world weren't going to magically produce the antibodies.
Sums it up very well
Sums up what very well? Vitamin d supports a healthy T cell regulatory response which can inhibit the cytokine storms that are killing many of the covid patients. Vitamin d’s affect on our Tregs and overall immune system health is very established. There are two new reports out, one the other day in preprint from northwestern, showing a strong correlation with country death rates and vitamins d deficiency. Vitamin d deficiency is already a concern among seniors and the average age of covid death, in MA at least, is 82.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 am

I think the ability to go outside depends on what you do for a living and where you're living right now.

If I was back in NJ I might not be able to get outside as often. Hell under "normal" conditions with my commute I wasn't able to get sunlight that often except for on weekends and maybe for a few minutes in the summer when sunset is at like 8PM.

Now I've seen several colleagues on meetings from their deck/balcony/patio. Unthinkable if we were all still in the office.

Blessed to still be employed. There is a very deep rift between people's living/working conditions. We have over 40M people unemployed. We have people braving COVID every day to earn a living. We have people who are really struggling with working from home. And we have people who are thriving working from home.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed May 27, 2020 6:38 am

On the local news last night they announced that Appalachian St. cut 3 men's sports because of financial loses due to the virus, men's soccer, men's tennis and men's indoor track.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 am

I thought we were all supposed to be social distancing and doing our part. Did covid-19 just disappear all of a sudden? I’m seeing thousands of people gather in cities across the country. I’ve been told by every democratic mayor and governor that that is a big no-no for the last two months. It’s almost like there is some hypocritical double standard going on. :D

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:04 am

Quann wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 am I thought we were all supposed to be social distancing and doing our part. Did covid-19 just disappear all of a sudden? I’m seeing thousands of people gather in cities across the country. I’ve been told by every democratic mayor and governor that that is a big no-no for the last two months. It’s almost like there is some hypocritical double standard going on. :D

Eh, the hypocrisy goes both ways. I've spent the last two months listening to crazy right wing people scream about government tyranny and reopening the country and now they are saying protesters should stay inside.

Per usual, there is no balance what so ever and I'm just here humming Stealers Wheel songs...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:00 am

^^^^
Really, you've seen protests from right wing groups in every city that number in the hundreds of thousands that resulted in millions of dollars of damage during a supposed deadly pandemic that we are all supposed to be socially distancing from one another? C'mon, you can't scapegoat the right for all of the nonsense happening over the last 7 days. There was a lockdown until it was politically convenient for these liberal mayors and governors to ignore said lockdown/stay at home/socially distancing mandates. Marty Walsh and Baker are embarrassing themselves right now.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:42 am

Quann wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:00 am ^^^^
Really, you've seen protests from right wing groups in every city that number in the hundreds of thousands that resulted in millions of dollars of damage during a supposed deadly pandemic that we are all supposed to be socially distancing from one another? C'mon, you can't scapegoat the right for all of the nonsense happening over the last 7 days. There was a lockdown until it was politically convenient for these liberal mayors and governors to ignore said lockdown/stay at home/socially distancing mandates. Marty Walsh and Baker are embarrassing themselves right now.

No, nor did I say I have seen that. But I heard crazy right wing people screaming about government tyranny over the last two months (hello Milford FB pages...) and how they can't be forced to wear masks and stay inside and so on... but now? Those same people are saying "Oh, yeah, those protesters shouldn't be out there".

The hypocrisy comes from both sides and it's extremely evident... just because it's not an exact 1:1 match doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You know better than that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:13 pm

It's fucking sickening how everything has a side these days. The whataboutism is soooooo tiring. Is a hot-dog a sandwich???? Yes? You're a nazi. No? You're an ANTIFA terrorist. Meanwhile 80% of the population is stuck drowning in the middle.