2020 Presidential Election

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Quann » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am

McKinney wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 pm Trump thinks of himself as a "wartime president" against COVID-19. Combine that with being the incumbent plus an anemic choice from Team Blue and we have a pretty bleak and sickening picture for November. :oops:

Am I being ageist in saying all of these candidates should have retired more than a decade ago?
No you are right on. Pathetic state of affairs in politics nowadays. Republicans and Democrats as parties both are horrible in my opinion. They're both working for the corporate donors and that is all. I am in no way aligned with Bernie's politics at all but at least he is fighting for actual people and cannot be bought by the corporations. I respect the hell out of him for that.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Quann wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am
McKinney wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 pm Trump thinks of himself as a "wartime president" against COVID-19. Combine that with being the incumbent plus an anemic choice from Team Blue and we have a pretty bleak and sickening picture for November. :oops:

Am I being ageist in saying all of these candidates should have retired more than a decade ago?
No you are right on. Pathetic state of affairs in politics nowadays. Republicans and Democrats as parties both are horrible in my opinion. They're both working for the corporate donors and that is all. I am in no way aligned with Bernie's politics at all but at least he is fighting for actual people and cannot be bought by the corporations. I respect the hell out of him for that.
What I've heard the most for people who don't actually agree with, but still respect Bernie are statements like yours and also about how he hasn't really changed his message the entire time he's been around.

But yeah, SNL had a great statement a few weeks back when they were doing one of their Dem Debate skits when they had their Mayor Pete say "I'm the only one who can win!" to be questioned with "they're polling better!" only to get the response of "No, I'm the only one who can win against the virus!"

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 pm

So I'm watching today's COVID-19 briefing and was pretty impressed by the presentations. Doctors Birx and Fauci seemed genuinely energized by the ability to actually discuss scientific facts, presenting many of the charts that are readily available throughout the interwebs (the charts with sobering numbers, but also those that offer the varying ways we can move forward). Sadly, much of this information is likely being ignored by large numbers of the populace, but at least the presenters tried to get the word out. The Vice President offered a decent presentation and even limited his mention of the President to only about seventeen instances in his four minutes.
But then comes time for questions from the reporters. A couple of questions in, a reporter asks a question (I don't remember the question) and the President says something to the effect of "who are you, I don't know you". The reporter mentions he's (may have been a she) from a Boston paper and the President gives him the hairy eyeball and mutters some derogatory comment under his breath. I never heard the answer (if there was one), as I immediately hit the 'OFF" button on my remote. Grossly disappointing.

I guess my question is, am I asking too much to expect a World Leader to not act like a 15-year-old?

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 pm

e_parade wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Quann wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:17 am No you are right on. Pathetic state of affairs in politics nowadays. Republicans and Democrats as parties both are horrible in my opinion. They're both working for the corporate donors and that is all. I am in no way aligned with Bernie's politics at all but at least he is fighting for actual people and cannot be bought by the corporations. I respect the hell out of him for that.
What I've heard the most for people who don't actually agree with, but still respect Bernie are statements like yours and also about how he hasn't really changed his message the entire time he's been around.
Bernie would be a formidable opponent against Trump in the general (much more so than Biden in my opinion) for that reason, but it's that same reason that someone like him will always have a difficult time making it out of the democratic primary. The DNC and the rest of the democratic establishment apparatus will always fight tooth and nail to prevent such a person that threatens their corporate existence from taking the helm.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:45 pm

What are the chances that Biden gets replaced before the convention? He is getting worse by the day as candidate and this is after watching the daily nonsensical ramblings of the big orange bully goon.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Quann wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:45 pm What are the chances that Biden gets replaced before the convention? He is getting worse by the day as candidate and this is after watching the daily nonsensical ramblings of the big orange bully goon.
Unless he gets incredibly ill, the chances of that are almost 0.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:37 pm

To me, the more interesting question is who he will pick as VP running mate. A number of governors or senators are possibilities.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:44 am

My guess is Kamala Harris.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Every November election should be a holiday!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/politics ... index.html

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:52 am

inthescoop wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:44 am My guess is Kamala Harris.
Just noticed this. Hell of a prognostication.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:54 am

KahunaK wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 pm Every November election should be a holiday!

Agreed. And let’s never let mail voting ever happen again for a national election.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:47 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:54 am
KahunaK wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:48 pm Every November election should be a holiday!

Agreed. And let’s never let mail voting ever happen again for a national election.
Like the idea of the holiday and expanding the window to vote. But how do we keep the millions of Americans overseas, military, diplomats, civilians from being disenfranchised by eliminating mail-in voting?
https://www.aaro.org/about-aaro/8m-amer ... e%20world.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:42 pm

^^^
Absentee voting is perfectly fine, it’s been done for a long time but we’ve never had mail in voting on this scale before. It just invites corruption. Unless you qualify for absentee voting, you have to vote in person going forward. I hope that’s what results from this election, we can’t have this chaos ever happen again.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Actually, I'll agree that we would be better off with very limited mail-in voting.

You know, I way oversimplified the ability, or lack thereof, for overseas personnel to have their votes counted. Reading further just in the link I supplied, there are many avenues available to people overseas and they are not left on an island (unless they are living in New Zealand :evil: ) for their voices to be heard. So my bad for a poor example.
So I will present a question on how we can aid the ever increasing elderly population who may not have the support system necessary to vote in person. What kind of options can we offer them?

We definitely need a multiple-day voting window, at the very least for a national election.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:35 am

Quann wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:42 pm ^^^
Absentee voting is perfectly fine, it’s been done for a long time but we’ve never had mail in voting on this scale before. It just invites corruption. Unless you qualify for absentee voting, you have to vote in person going forward. I hope that’s what results from this election, we can’t have this chaos ever happen again.
If you want to get rid of vote by mail (for most, as you've stated) then we should open up more polling centers in general and make it easier to vote in person (more early voting opportunities, and done at varying points throughout the weeks so people don't need to worry as much about work schedules).

I personally don't have a problem with vote by mail. I have a problem with how we count the votes and talk about it. "Biden comes from behind to take the lead" or messages like that make it sound like it's a sport and that new votes were being cast, as opposed to "all the votes aren't counted yet and now we're learning who had more of them." I don't know who I saw it from first, may have been one of my relatives on facebook, but someone had suggested not announcing any results for a state until they're all completed...but in this society where everyone wants things to be more exciting that would just be a really boring way to do it so clearly it would never happen.