Sign Man Says

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Sign Man Says

Post by SignMan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:33 am

Music Lovers!!!

My friend Dana Fuchs is doing a live concert this afternoon @ 3 PM, free (optional VOLUNTARY donations only).
On her FB, open to the public...
https://www.facebook.com/danafuchsverif ... =3&theater

Dana is a beautiful caring woman and a wonderfully talented blues singer.
She will be accompanied by her music partner, Jon Diamond (guitar/no vocals)
and her son Aidan, now 3 1/2 is expected to make an appearance.
I am hoping he may have some of the many transportation toys I gave Dana for Aidan for the Holidays end 2018 & 2019.

Dana is dynamic...
She starred as Sadie in the movie Across the Universe...

We have seen her perform numerous times in MA, RI, NH, ME and upstate NY...
every Dana show really rocks.

She is expecting son #2 in about two weeks and plans to do more of these streamed live gigs after the baby is born.

We have tix for two previously virus postponed Dana gigs (now in question again) so the streams will be awesome.

Dana is 44 now, born six months prior to our older daughter and Dana was born on Mr. & Mrs SM's 1st anniversary.

Dana supports a suicide prevention group, another SM in-common with her, inasmuch as we both lost a sister to suicide.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:09 pm

A Sign Man PSA ...

For those of you who, as of late, have succumbed to ennui, as well as others who may be interested...

The BBC TV scheduled first episode of Killing Eve, Season 3, has be advanced from April 26 to tonight @ 9 P.M. est...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:43 am

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble the football" - John Heisman

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." – Bear Bryant / Alabama

" It isn't necessary to see a good tackle, you can hear it!” - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

"At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. That costs money, and we don't have any." – Erik Russell / Georgia Southern

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz / Arkansas - Notre Dame

"When you win, nothing hurts." - Joe Namath / Alabama

"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall." - Frank Leahy / Notre Dame

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." - Woody Hayes / Ohio State

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation." - Bob Devaney / Nebraska

"In Alabama, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant." - Wally Butts / Georgia

"I never graduated from Iowa. But I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's." – Alex Karras / Iowa

"My advice to defensive players is to take the shortest route to the ball and arrive in bad humor.” - Bowden Wyatt / Tennessee

"I could have been a Rhodes Scholar except for my grades." - Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

"Always remember Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David." - Shug Jordan / Auburn

"I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me." He said, "Well, Walt, we took a look at you, and you weren't any good." - Walt Garrison / Oklahoma State

"Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel." - Bobby Bowden / Florida State

"Football is NOT a contact sport, it is a collision sport. Dancing IS a contact sport." - Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

After USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his post-game message to his team was, "All those who need showers, take them." - John McKay / USC

"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education.” - Murray Warmath / Minnesota

"The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb. To be a back, you only have to be dumb." - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

"We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches." - Darrell Royal / Texas

"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking." - John McKay / USC

"I've found that prayers work best when you have big players." - Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

Ohio State 's Urban Meyer on one of his players: "He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words.”

Why do Tennessee fans wear orange? So they can dress that way for the game on Saturday, go hunting on Sunday, and pick up trash on Monday.

What does the average S.E.C. player get on his SATs? Drool.

How many Michigan freshmen football players does it take to change a light bulb? None. That's a sophomore course.

How did the Auburn football player die from drinking milk? The cow fell on him.

Two Texas A&M football players were walking in the woods. One of them said, "Look, a dead bird." The other looked up in the sky and said,"Where?”

What do you say to a Florida State University football player dressed in a three-piece suit? "Will the defendant please rise."

If three Rutgers football players are in the same car, who is driving? The police officer.

How can you tell if a Clemson football player has a girlfriend? There's tobacco juice on both sides of the pickup truck.

What do you get when you put 32 Arkansas cheerleaders in one room? A full set of teeth.

University of Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh is only going to dress half of his players for the game this week; the other half will have to dress themselves.

How is the Kansas football team like an opossum? They play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Why did the Tennessee linebacker steal a police car? He saw "911" on the side and thought it was a Porsche.

How do you get a former Ohio State football player off your porch? Pay him for the pizza.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:52 am

^ Thanks for that. We all need some comic relief these days.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 am

Those were classic. :lol:

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Just read that Jazz legend McCoy Tyner passed away not long ago.

https://pitchfork.com/news/legendary-ja ... a9tygnL9ZQ

We were very fortunate to see him perform maybe 4-6 yrs ago.
We also brought Bobby, UMie and former owner of the Wonder Bar in Worcester (sold a few years ago).

The show required tix but was free, as all shows @ the Granoff @ Tufts are fully endowed.

I brought pics of McCoy to get signed after the show, but he never came out.
Performers with him said he was too tired.

He appeared quite frail at the time.

Maybe we'll get some indoor gigs going again before the virus permanently shuts down theaters that cannot afford it any more.

The music lives on recordings.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:27 pm

...YAWN...
excuse me, but it is late and time to go to bed...
I can hear a hoot owl a good half mile away, late night hunting...

Let me leave you, imagining you are listening to
ALAS, I'M IN WONDERLAND
by
The O'Hares

sweet dreams, all

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:06 am

a little music for you all
(Except if you are one who doesn't like music)

https://www.facebook.com/cathyrichardso ... 6279175808

My friend, Cathy Richardson, lead singer for Jefferson Starship, here with a friend of hers outside Fitzgeralds, where she often gigs without JS.

enjoy

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:17 pm

another song featuring SM's friend, Cathy Richardson, off the new Jefferson Starship CD/album...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PhXdhV ... BUNIQID%5D

featuring the other band members...
David Freiberg, now 80, of previous fame with his Quicksilver Messenger Service (Fresh Air, Jane)
drummer Donnie Baldwin, who started with Elvin Bishop in the 70s
Connecticut's Chris Smith on the keyboard
outstanding guitarist Jude Gold

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Oh, my!!!

I got an email, from the (our) U, re taking a survey, and being able to sign up for a chance to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card!!!

"Take the Survey

The survey should take less than 15 minutes to complete and, as a thank you for participating, you will qualify to enter into a drawing for a chance to win one of fifty $25 Amazon gift cards. Full drawing rules are available here.

We thank you in advance for your participation.

If you have questions, please contact: Kristen Barry-George, marketing & communications account manager, at [email protected].

Sincerely,
UMass Amherst"

Among the drawing rules:

"By participating, Entrants release and agree to hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all
liability for any injuries, death or losses or damages to persons or property AS WELL AS CLAIMS/ACTIONS
BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, AND/OR INVASION OF PRIVACY that may arise from
participating in this Sweepstakes or its related activities or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of,
or any harm resulting from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the Prize. The Winners also
acknowledge that Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for
any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Prize."

The possibility of injury or death by receiving an Amazon Gift Card is...
is...
just SHOCKING, unless, of course, it is wired to a faulty outlet...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:50 am

Thought I'd post this here on this thread...

Many will recall that Mr & Mrs SM have traveled to Antigua many times. Just recently, we returned from our longest trip there, 5 weeks, during parts of Jan & Feb.

I posted on a different thread re: an Antiguan baby, who will be 7 mo old tomorrow, with a life threatening disease, requiring a liver transplant. We have known the 23 yr old mother since she was just 8. We found out about the baby the third day of our trip, when we saw them @ our beach. Wanting to help them, we spent a considerable amount of time contacting and communicating with several people at Boston Children's Hospital, with the goal to have them come here for the necessary surgery. BCH has a facility specific to the baby's situation. Unfortunately, what we found out, after many discussions with several people @ BCH, is that, unless one has insurance coverage outside the U.S. that will cover in the U.S., or funds to pay (pre-pay) for the services, in this case, a LARGE sum of $, they have no program to help with such a child. They recommended she use an M.D. in Antigua who is the only person available to do such an op @ a Children's Hospital in Jamaica, that started doing liver transplants after training from Maryland based docs in 2018. We already knew about this from the mom.

We are disappointed with BCH, especially after reading, online, that BCH does not turn anyone down.

I heard from the mom yesterday, that baby has been in the hospital for an extended time since we left on Feb. 16. We are not sure if it is in Antigua or Jamaica; but, we did provide funds for mom and baby's r/t flight to Jamaica +a little more, and I researched Jamaica hotels near the hospital where mom could stay (another friend of hers is covering that). A non-profit org., started up around 2016 by a hotelier who owns several Carib resorts, will cover med costs not covered by the Antigua Insurance "Scheme," or any insurance mom has recently acquired.

Many of you will remember that we also we bringing sporting goods equipment to the isle, donated to schools there...probably about 8 suitcases filled with equip I found or purchased, donated by Spaulding, and by several hoops posters. We did not bring any this trip, but I do have another suitcase filled and ready to travel next time.

I bring football/soccer and basketball items...primarily balls and cleats which go to good use.

The West Indies are famous for their great cricket teams of the '70s, '80s, 90s.
Great players like Sir Vivian (Viv) Richards, Sir Richie Richardson, Sir Curtley Ambrose, and others
It is a difficult game to understand; I remain befuddled, even after discussing it recently with out friend Richie Richardson .

https://www.cricketcharity.org/
A program similar to what we have done, but for cricket, and much larger in organization and scope.
If any of you were at the last home game and saw me wearing a "different" maroonish hat, it is one that Sir Richie game me, and one for Mrs SM, before we left for home. It is the same design and color as the one he wore when he played. He was perhaps the last cricket player to not change to a helmet.

During these strange world times, please consider giving back to others as best you can.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:07 am

Getting great comments on the hoodie - thank you. At our age we take any good comment on our appearance as a wonderful thing coming from a vision impaired kind soul.

Sometimes let's just have a cup of coffee or something when you're out here. I love our alma mater but have few connections with real people.

Say hi to Mrs SM.

Alex