Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 am

Can't say I've ever really seen the latter two names. I don't freak out if someone types out "UMASS" or "Umass"... I mean, our old cursive logo essentially made the M look lowercase, so I give that a pass.

All the names you listed are better than "UMass Amherst."
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 pm How hard can it be to hire a company to help us set a standard and then hold all vendors accountable?

https://www.pantone.com/
Seems like Harvard, Oklahoma and Springfield College, to name three, can get maroon right. Why can't UMass?

Two ironies about UMass are Sports Management and food.

UMass' Sport Management major is supposedly one of the best, right? So why can UMass manage its own sports well?

Food - for the second or third year running UMass has been ranked as #1 in terms of the food provided to its students. So why is the food served at its sports venues so awful? The Bill doesn't even have the facilities to prepare the food on-site. So burgers and fries are prepared elsewhere and sit under heat lamps. Fans get to overpay for cold burgers and cold fries...if those booths are even open. Sounds appetizing doesn't? Oh by the way...would like some popcorn with your salt?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:43 pm

LS71 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm
Old Cage wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 pm How hard can it be to hire a company to help us set a standard and then hold all vendors accountable?

https://www.pantone.com/
Seems like Harvard, Oklahoma and Springfield College, to name three, can get maroon right. Why can't UMass?

Two ironies about UMass are Sports Management and food.

UMass' Sport Management major is supposedly one of the best, right? So why can UMass manage its own sports well?

Food - for the second or third year running UMass has been ranked as #1 in terms of the food provided to its students. So why is the food served at its sports venues so awful? The Bill doesn't even have the facilities to prepare the food on-site. So burgers and fries are prepared elsewhere and sit under heat lamps. Fans get to overpay for cold burgers and cold fries...if those booths are even open. Sounds appetizing doesn't? Oh by the way...would like some popcorn with your salt?
Yeah popcorn real salty

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:14 am

Food @ Mullins, when I go...
at most, a bottle of water and a small cup of sorbet.

Best alternative ... on Tues & Wed
...see schedule when program reopens sometime into the second semester.
https://www.isenberg.umass.edu/programs ... iott-meals.

HTM Marriott Meals at the Marriott Center

Dinners
Seating Times: 5:45-6:45pm, Tuesdays & Wednesdays

Lunches
Seating Times: 11:45am-12:45pm, Tuesdays & Wednesdays
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 am

mdogt12 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:43 pm
Yeah popcorn real salty
LOVE it. They just need to bring back the butter seasoning.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Anyone know why our apparel is so bad? I mean even D3 schools have better options than we do. My personal view is that the bookstore has way too many mediocre items and few, if any, items I'd actually buy. Is it a problem with Adidas? The people who run the bookstore?

anyone have insights on this?

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:05 pm

I'd say that the person making the selections don't have any idea of what to buy.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:00 pm

The campus store drives me crazy. I try to go to the store a few times a year and buy some UMass stuff, but then I leave empty handed. Should I really have to shell out $50-$70 bucks for a Cutter Buck polo or some Vineyard Vines thing? How are the students supposed to afford anything in that store?
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Interesting note to all this. This weekend my family came with me for the hockey games. I had planned to bring my daughter into the U store to grab her some UMass stuff. They were closed all weekend. I somewhat understand this due to winter session, but, there are plenty of visitors still. Prospective students, the Football team had recruits there in the hotel, visitors for hockey...etc. It felt very junior college IMHO.

Also, without ever having seen any of the debate here, my wife asked "why does it seem like UMass has like 12 different shades of red and maroon?"

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Bubba wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 pm Interesting note to all this. This weekend my family came with me for the hockey games. I had planned to bring my daughter into the U store to grab her some UMass stuff. They were closed all weekend. I somewhat understand this due to winter session, but, there are plenty of visitors still. Prospective students, the Football team had recruits there in the hotel, visitors for hockey...etc. It felt very junior college IMHO.

Also, without ever having seen any of the debate here, my wife asked "why does it seem like UMass has like 12 different shades of red and maroon?"

Everything wrong about our branding, accessibility to merchandise and inability to get our color right, summed up in one post from a weekend trip to campus. Amazing.

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Worth noting, at the hockey games, there was some selection.

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:22 pm Everything wrong about our branding, accessibility to merchandise and inability to get our color right, summed up in one post from a weekend trip to campus. Amazing.
Our branding and consistency across merchandise is some of the worst I've ever seen. Totally different variations of colors, school names (some say massachusetts, some say UMass, some say UMass Amherst, etc). Seems to me that the bookstore people have no idea what they're doing, or they're just completely disconnected from the initiatives taken on by the athletic department. We need some serious overhaul in that store and I'm hoping it comes soon. It's kind of embarrassing how bad the "flagship's" bookstore is. Am I being too harsh? :lol:

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 am

Kind of frustrating given the positive reputation that UMass' Sports Management major has.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the CC hotel a "lab" for Hospitality majors?

If that's the case, this presents an opportunity for the Athletic department and Sports Management to work together to upgrade the way UMass does things sports-wise.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am

It probably still is. When my son was taking hospitality, 2000 to 2004 they served meals there and the students would take different chores each week. I think it was on the 11th floor and hosted by Marriott.

UMassNet15
Freshman

Post by UMassNet15 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm in the market for new checks... (Cue joke about individuals who use checks). Does anyone know if there is a way to get a personalized UMass logo on my checks? Or if there is a company that already has a UMass branded check? Thanks!
"#Flagship"