Matt Kost (Kosty) - Everyone please read

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Matt Kost (Kosty) - Everyone please read

Post by Old Cage » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 am

Kosty was one of the originals on the Compuserve and AOL UMass basketball message boards, well before UMassHoops started. He is friends with many contributors here, both through the boards and by attending hoops and lacrosse games, mostly in the Boston area. It has been a standing joke here for many years that he would talk about coming to a specific game on campus, and then "Where's Kosty?" posts would start to appear.

Kosty has been fighting a very aggressive form of brain cancer for several months. I don't know more about the specifics, but I can share that friends have organized a fundraiser for Matt and his wife and their two young kids in Foxboro on Saturday 4/30.

A friend recently wrote: "Matt has always embraced having fun, being goofy, and anything remotely related to Buffalo chicken."

It would be excellent to see our board family represented at the event, but if you cannot attend, and would like to make a donation, you may do so by clicking the link below. Click "Get Tickets" and then on the "Donation" button.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kosty-crew ... 2184936743
Last edited by Old Cage on Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Re: Matt Kost (Kosty) - Everyone please read

Post by Swampy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:23 am

Thank you for posting this. It is a great way to make a donation and still allow the family their privacy.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:37 am

The guy is part of our UMASS family. Very sad news, donate if you can
Time to Win

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:31 pm

I just moved this to the Men's Hoop Forum and made it a sticky to hopefully increase the amount of eyes on it. K-Man is a great dude and this is just a terrible deal. He's a 1993 UM grad with a young family.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks for posting. Definitely will send a donation. Never met Kosty in person but love his passion for UMass. I have a cousin going through the same thing right now and I understand how hard it is. I'll be sending some good vibes his way and wishing him the best.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Thank you, NJ. Kosty is a charter member of this board and a wonderful guy who loves UMass. Any help that people here can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm not the most religious guy in the world but a lot of prayers would help, too.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:38 am

Is there a mail address available? I'm old school and hate paying fees on a donation.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:02 pm

^ No one is more old school than me, and I have moved past that one. Now as for my pay-per-call flip phone..... :)

All that I can suggest is that at the bottom of the link there is a place to contact the organizers. You might have to explain about your UMass connection, as we have not done that, and that's OK. Should you get an address, please respect their privacy and don't post it here.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Another option is to mail it to the venue, or if you know one of the people going to the event, get them the check so they can bring it with them.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks OC, your suggestion worked fine.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:11 am

^^^, ^
Confirmed...
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks so much for your efforts so far, fellas.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Sticky bump.

One of our own really needs some help. Anything you can do to chip in would be appreciated.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun May 01, 2016 1:09 pm

The original event has ended, but a second fundraiser has appeared. A friend from Kosty's wife's hometown (wherever that is) has posted it on Facebook. I can see that two guys from here have already contributed:

https://www.youcaring.com/matthew-kost- ... Y.facebook

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:49 am

Heard from a mutual friend that Kosty passed last night. I had met him a few times at a golf fundraiser of a friend. Super nice guy and really huge fan of the program. Rest in Peace.