Hall of Fame

Re: Let's Eat, Again

Post by 69MG » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:27 pm

^ Did you have the camel on hump day? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:25 am

That was the plan...to have it a week ago yesterday.
However, the Mideast Crisis intervened and we had it a day later.

I was kind of expecting someone to ask...
"One Hump or Two?"

Apparently, the hump is the most sought after part...
I believe less healthy and likely more than what I paid...
which was $13.99/lb; vs the est $20/lb I read about online.

Of course, being a music fan, I brought the atmosphere to a max, playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bjzuSO27fA
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:05 pm

I was picturing the Chris Farley skit from SNL as the lunch lady singing Sloppy Joe
Time to Win

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:45 am

Our new kitchen is almost done...
A complete gut job, replacing the 1980 bad version of it.

Mrs. SM cooked our first homemade dinner in it two nights ago.

Knowing I am under the weather today, she just offered to cook again tonight.
"We haven't had stuffed peppers," said my better half.

"I think we have some ground beef," she added

I told her that we (me) definitely have ground camel.
She gave me a rather assertive "NO!"

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:33 am

Return to Filho's Great Road, Acton MA...

We are frequent regulars there, as are many others.
I made a Reservation for dinner this past evening, for 6:17 pm.
The appointed time was a set-up...
Mrs. SM typically, upon our arrival, tells the host-hostess we have a Reservation @ <time>...
She said 6:15 last nite, the time I told her.
However, the wonderful Staff...everyone knew of the 6:17, wondering what "Ed" was doing this time :D
They apologized to Mrs. SM, sadly telling her they no Reservation for us @ 6:15; then smiled and said...
But we do have one for you @ 6:17 pm...

Wonderful reasonably priced dinner...
As oft we do, we shared one generous sized entrée and one "Primi."

Entrée was the best pork chop we ever had, bar none.
They told us another patron ordered it on Friday night and loved it so much, they planned to return again last night for it again.

A Waitstaff member also came over to tell us that a couple who we referred to go there, the husband being a volunteer for Household Goods in Acton who helped bring our donations to HG a good month ago, had done so and were extremely pleased with their wonderful meal.

Do try it, then thank me for the recommendation. It is that good an Italian restaurant at much less $ than any place in the N. End.

They currently have a very nice Spanish red wine available, one I recommended they add to the current available reds, after having it in a fine restaurant in Denver a couple of weeks ago.

Owner, Ozzie Filho is a winer expert with his own cellar, from which he often brings a limited supply for the restaurant patrons.
There is a red cab they have some bottles of available that is really good. It's the bottle only @ $60. A nearby retail store sells the same one in the mid $50s range.

Fine food...one of life's great features...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:20 am

Gosh...almost 6 months since a SM foodie post...
not because I/we haven't eaten out since then...

SM is thinking food/good dining out/Italian...

A few weeks ago, we went to Norfolk CT to see a Dana Fuchs gig at the Infinity. We had seen her @ the Squire in Plymouth MA in Sept and will do same at the Bull Run Friday nite, where we have the entire front/center table I bought, so we can have a nice group of friends there...no riff-raff need apply.

The Infinity gig was canceled/ppd to the Spring after Dana became ill...did not find out until we got to Norfolk, a cumbersome drive from here...so, we decided to stay over at a nearby inn we had booked...Blackberry River, which does include a lovely breakfast in the a.m.

We went to Winsted for dinner, @ Mario's, 1st time for us...
I must say the food was excellent, and the service, our server: Tracy, was perfect, very attentive and knowledgeable...
A SM recommendation if in the area. I had the chicken picata and it was up to SM standards...excellent.
http://www.mariostuscanygrill.com/

Prior to the NU game a week ago last night, I picked up an Alum friend, who has helped me immensely over the years re: Lo, and his son.
Alum friend suggested we go to Rino's, on Saratoga St in E Boston; and, what a super surprise that was...SUPERB!!!
small place, maybe 12 tables...NO RESERVATIONS...
http://www.rinosplace.com/

Excellent service...our waitress recommended a pasta to get with my pasta/lobster/shrimp/scallop entrée. It was the one pasta choice I was not familiar with. I had decided linguini and she changed my mind and was it ever perfect. the three shellfish were all very nicely prepared.
All pasta is homemade there...

My entrée was $40, but, not only delish, but a huge serving. I ate double my usual and brought home enough for another meal.

Alum friend had a ginormous veal chop, same price...looks equally delish. His son had a very generous sized entrée of a pasta and a meat..not sure if it was veal or chix, but looked great. I couldn't believe he ate it all...

Suggest going early to avoid waiting outside for a table to open later...
Parking apparently can be tight later but we parked beside the place around 4:30 p.m.
Check the website for further info.
This is a must place to experience ...

This past evening, Tues., I met up with an another alum friend and multi UM sport STH. We met in Woostah, and he suggested two restaurants, leaving SM to choose... I decided on
https://www.mareemontitrattoria.com/
A very pleasant surprise...I had their haddock and it was very nicely done, plenty to eat and bring some home...$25.
will definitely bring MRs SM there, as well as Rino's...

Dine well, my friends...
you only live once (I think)... enjoy it to the fullest and Hap Hap Happy Holidays to all and to all a good nite/er...middle of the nite a.m.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:43 am

We decided to dine in last night.

I gave the honors to Mrs SM, to make Sloppy Joe's.
Rarely a wild game eater, she surprised me by asking if I wanted the camel or the antelope.

I chose the antelope.

We ate at Home
She made it on the Range

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:46 am

With all the shine Signman has been getting, I wanted to revive this thread. I just ate at the newly opened Rail Trail Flatbread in downtown Milford. Excellent food, the buffalo tots are killer and all of the flatbread pizzas are really tasty. Great beer menu too and they revived an old building down there, love the atmosphere. This is their second location, I have gone to the original one in Hudson many times over the years.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:29 am

Quann wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:46 am With all the shine Signman has been getting, I wanted to revive this thread. I just ate at the newly opened Rail Trail Flatbread in downtown Milford. Excellent food, the buffalo tots are killer and all of the flatbread pizzas are really tasty. Great beer menu too and they revived an old building down there, love the atmosphere. This is their second location, I have gone to the original one in Hudson many times over the years.

Thanks for the phone call :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:38 pm

We ate in last night...
My turn, Chef Edward

Fresh haddock, maybe .75 lb+ plenty for two in shape for our ages moderate food consumers...
baked in glass rectangular baking dish lined with parchment paper to make easy cleanup and keep excessive heat from directed food/glass contact...
generous amount of fresh squeezed lemon, topped with finger tip strewn dill from organic market...not from a supermarket spice container...
425 for about 12 minutes...

Ed made slaw...Green farm sourced cabbage (never savoy), nicely shave cut, along with a smaller amount of red (purple) cabbage, and grated carrots...I have orange, yellow and purple carrots in the fridge from late season harvest...add a few pinches of celery seed (from same organic food store)...then the magic...go slow, can always add more...Marzetti's slaw dressing to taste...DO NOT OVERDO IT, or you'll need to add more cabbage...then firm it a bit with Cain's mayo...mix and enjoy...been making my own for 50 yrs with Marzetti's...

Doubled up with a traditional Ed salad... Ed salads always get rave reviews... Did this one with a mixed spring salad, spinach leaves, alfalfa sprouts, heirloom purplish tom slices, cherry toms split in half, topped with a nice herb soft goat cheese. Add some nice blueberries, strawberries. Dressed litely...never drenched, with a superb buttery olive oil I ordered online from PA source, recommended by Temple friend Sal, Sicilian, who I met at Mullins circa 1995 or 1996.

There is more to SM than just signs...

Eat well, exercise, stay health and enjoy to the max...
:D

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:44 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:29 am
Quann wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:46 am With all the shine Signman has been getting, I wanted to revive this thread. I just ate at the newly opened Rail Trail Flatbread in downtown Milford. Excellent food, the buffalo tots are killer and all of the flatbread pizzas are really tasty. Great beer menu too and they revived an old building down there, love the atmosphere. This is their second location, I have gone to the original one in Hudson many times over the years.

Thanks for the phone call :lol:
Next time :lol:

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:50 pm

Back to Filho's Great Road in Acton to get tonight's special entree to go. Excellwnt pan seared scallops with prosciutto and broccolini in a creamy Alfredo sauce tossed in penne for $27. Plenty for t 2 of us with some left for my Tues lunch perhaps. Regular healthy portions menu items less $. Pizza menu as well.
Dave B & SM have our periodic lunch together here, where the Legacy Hall chatcwas discussed.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:03 pm

It's been a while since I've been to the Blue Wall. Do they still serve beer there? I think a section of it was called the U-Pub back in the day.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:48 pm

^They should do James Montgomery Blues Band gig there. He's still going strong and does great gigs.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:52 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:03 pm It's been a while since I've been to the Blue Wall. Do they still serve beer there? I think a section of it was called the U-Pub back in the day.
They started serving beer again my senior year in 2003. Not quite as raucous as it was in the 70s from the stories I heard. Not sure what’s going on there now.