UM Athletics Sports Luncheons

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: UM Athletics Sports Luncheons

Post by 69MG » Mon May 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Please join us for the last weekly UMASS Sports Luncheon of the year WEDNESDAY, May 4th, in the MASSACHUSETTS ROOM, 3RD FLOOR OF THE MULLINS CENTER.

This is THE SPRING SCHOLAR ATHLETE AWARDS PROGRAM honoring the male and female spring scholar athlete. This luncheon provides a great opportunity to learn more about both the academic and athletic accomplishments of these student athletes.
The scholar athletes to be honored are:
Daniel Muller, Men’s Lacrosse; and
Sam Kolovson, Rowing.
We hope you can attend to congratulate these students on their academic and athletic success.

Congratulations to our Dinn Brothers Co-Athletes of the Week:
John Chuma, Men’s Track and Field; and
Ryan Molony, Baseball.
The awards will be presented at the luncheon.

The luncheon will take place from noon-1:15 p.m. in the Mullins Center Massachusetts Room. The program generally begins about 12:15 p.m.
Parking is available for free behind the Mullins Center.

A buffet lunch will be served for $14/person. The buffet luncheon menu includes two entrees, salad and/or soup, rolls and butter, beverage and dessert.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:38 pm

To UMass Sports Luncheon Attendees Today at 4:15 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

We know you haven't heard from us for a while, and we apologize for any confusion that may have caused. Since the first luncheon on August 31st, the Athletic Department has been working with the Sports Luncheon Committee to allow the luncheons to continue while reducing the high cost to attendees and eliminating the financial loss for the Athletic Department. We are pleased to let you know that we have collaboratively developed a plan to do so.

THE NEXT SPORTS LUNCHEON WILL BE WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5th in the Berkshire Room AT BERKSHIRE DINING COMMONS. THE LUNCHEON SCHEDULE IS NOON - 1 P.M. AND WILL BE THE HOCKEY/BASKETBALL KICKOFF LUNCHEON:

FEATURED SPEAKERS ARE HEAD HOCKEY COACH GREG CARVEL, MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH DEREK KELLOGG, AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACH TORY VERDI.

After this luncheon, luncheons will be held every other week for most of the academic year. The next four luncheons will be:

October 19th
November 2nd
November 16th
November 30th

COST: $11.00

There will be a 50/50 raffle, and Athlete of the Week awards will be presented.
Berkshire Dining Commons

Located in the Southwest Residential Area, this award-winning dining commons features many display cooking areas with freshness in mind. The dining area is divided into 10 distinct food stations, each with its own theme and menu selection, ranging from vegetation to Pan Asian to rotating restaurant-style cuisine.

The dining menu will include many options, and the cost is less than the catered buffet was.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:38 pm

^ Vegetation? You need to harvest the plants you want for lunch?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:29 am

If the reason for dwindling attendance at the luncheons was their "high cost" then I just don't know what to say. :(

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 am

I believe it was. At $ 14 per person and $ 28 for a couple several couples did say they were reducing their attendance because of the cost. Moving them to the Berkshire Dinning Commons should probably help attendance. The several times I attended the luncheons at BDC the selection of food was great. Hopefully the attendance will increase.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:02 am

Kielbasa for everyone!!
Time to Win

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Probably will be able to find some.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am

Call me crazy but I think a $14 lunch that includes a beverage, salad, entree, dessert AND gratuity is a pretty good deal. I doubt attendance has dwindled because of the price. If our major sports teams were winning I would bet the tables would be full just like the old days.

In the 90s they had the end of the year banquets on the Mullins Center floor and the place was packed! Everybody likes a winner.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 am

I know for a fact that several couples stopped coming because of the ever increasing cost. A good percentage of those that were coming were senior citizens and quite a few have died off. Then there awas a bunch from the athletic offices that came quite frequently and did not come the last few years that I used to come.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Berkman wrote:I know for a fact that several couples stopped coming because of the ever increasing cost. A good percentage of those that were coming were senior citizens and quite a few have died off.
Not much the Athletic Dept can do about fans moving on to the big stadium in the sky.

Look, I don't doubt what you're saying about your friends, you were a regular and certainly attended more luncheons than I ever did. That's all I'm saying is that $14 isn't an overpriced lunch, IMO, and that if the major sports were winning the tables would be full and those in attendance wouldn't be carping about price.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:54 pm

I was able to take early retirement from GE in 93 when Jack Welch sold the Ordnance Division in Pittsfield to Martin Marietta and started going to the luncheons with my neighbor Hank who also retired from GE Transformer probably in 95. For us it was more than a luncheon as it was a social event for us to meet up weekly during the sports seasons with people we met at the luncheons.

Hank used to travel around western MA following Hoosac Valley High and was very friendly with a bunch that would come up from Holyoke. He also would come down to UMass for the baseball games and softball games so he knew a lot of people. Sadly several of the people we knew have passed on. After Hank had a triple by pass he was not up to making the trip after he had the surgery. Had a lot of complications with the medications after the surgery. I still came every week for a while and then I would only come depending on who the speakers were. What probably did not help attendance was that DK and the women's BB coach came very infrequently to speak. Same with the hockey coach after Toot was replaced. I looked forward to hearing many of the coaches speak at the luncheons. I can remember that when Coach Cal was here you would have to make reservations because I think they had to limit the attendance to about 120 people. Good days back then.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:20 am

Berkman wrote:I can remember that when Coach Cal was here you would have to make reservations because I think they had to limit the attendance to about 120 people. Good days back then.
My point exactly.

"Just win, baby!"

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Join us for the Sports Luncheon - Wednesday November 16
Guest Speakers:
Field Hockey Coach Amy Robertson
and
Head Football Coach Mark Whipple

BERKSHIRE DINING COMMON
Wednesday, November 16, 12:00-1:00 p.m.

COST: $11 (credit cards, cash, UCard, Dining Dollars and Campus Meal Plans accepted)

PARKING: You may park FOR FREE in Lot 33 (across University Drive from the Southwest complex) from 11:30 - 1:30. Parking Services will not ticket during that time. As always, parking meters on the horseshoe and on Fearing Street are available for $1.50/hour.

STUDENT ATHLETES to be recognized as our Dinn Brothers Athletes of the Week:
Ty Goncalves - Men's Soccer
Sarah Hawkshaw - Field Hockey
Luwane Pipkins - Men's Basketball
Emily Hazard - Field Hockey

Awards will be presented at the luncheon.

SAVE THE DATE for the next three luncheons:
November 30th
December 7th
January 18th, 2017

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:47 pm

So any interesting info said at the luncheon?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:27 pm

Join us for the Sports Luncheon - Wednesday November 30
Guest Speakers: Ice Hockey Coach Greg Carvel and Assistant Men's Basketball Coach Adam Ginsburg
BERKSHIRE DINING COMMONS
Wednesday, November 30, 12:00-1:00 p.m.

COST: $11 (credit cards, cash, UCard, Dining Dollars and Campus Meal Plans accepted)

PARKING: You may park FOR FREE in Lot 33 (across University Drive from the Southwest complex) from 11:30 - 1:30. Parking Services will not ticket during that time. As always, parking meters on the horseshoe and on Fearing Street are available for $1.50/hour.

STUDENT ATHLETES to be recognized as our Dinn Brothers Athletes of the Week:
Maggie Mulligan - Women's Basketball
DeJon Jarreau - Men's Basketball
Donte Clark - Men's Basketball
Awards will be presented at the luncheon.

SAVE THE DATE for the next two luncheons:
December 7th
January 18th, 2017