Texas and Oklahoma to SEC?

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
KahunaK
Senior

Texas and Oklahoma to SEC?

Post by KahunaK » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Looks like the B12 is dead if that happens. All those other B12 schools that are left behind are screwed. College football will continue to get smaller and smaller at the top. Perhaps the SEC absorbs schools from the ACC (Clemson, FSU) and then you have tiering among the P5 schools or new conferences. In my mind, if Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC, it will be a sad day for college football fans.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-report/

econalum
Hall of Fame

Re: Texas and Oklahoma to SEC?

Post by econalum » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 pm

So basically the POWER 5 could evolve to the POWER 2, I am including the BIG 10.

ACC, BIG 12, and the PAC10 would be the next tier, IMO. The next question is if these SEC moves happen, who are the backfill colleges for tier 2?

TV monies would rapidly migrate upwards, making 'outside colleges looking in' even less likely to be profitable.

"Gordon Gecko" said - 'greed is good, greed clarifies, etc.' We'll see....
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

KahunaK
Senior

Re: Texas and Oklahoma to SEC?

Post by KahunaK » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:01 pm

This doesn't happen unless the playoffs include more teams. If Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Texas A&M, etc are vying for one, maybe two spots, then the number of losses each team will take will eliminate some of them. Now a two or three-loss team can make the playoffs and win the national championship.

The downside is that schools like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Miss. State, Arkansas, Missouri will be forever at .500 or worse forever. I guess the money from TV revenue that pays for the rest of the sports programs is why they will go along. Mo Money.

The next dominoes will be Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame. What will they do? The Big 12 was doomed when Nebraska went to the B10- always thought that was a mistake for the Cornhuskers as was Maryland into the B10. Nebraska was a power in the B12-they are irrelevant now. Maryland playing ACC schools was always "more important" than their opponents now.

How I hate the influence of money in college football. Much of the joy of being a fan has been lost.