Women's Hockey

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
Big Guy
Freshman

Women's Hockey

Post by Big Guy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:32 pm

Has there ever been discussion for UMASS to create a Division 1 women's team that would play in Hockey East ?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: Women's Hockey

Post by 69MG » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:39 pm

There has been a ton of discussion and in the end it always comes down to money. By know we all know the answer when money is involved.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:44 pm

? NO 😁

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:29 pm

Long overdue.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 pm

I know there’s a women’s Hockey East that UMass should be in….
I also saw that women’s pro league is starting soon and Boston has a franchise.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:35 am

Hockey East bylaws say any Men’s member has an automatic invite to women’s if they have a program so there is a conference waiting right there for them.

I haven’t checked the latest Title IX reports but previously UMass was at a deficit of about 60 women’s scholarships or so. Hockey would cut into that deficit if it still exists.

Could also use the practice rink for home games if desired. BU women play at Walter Brown and UConn women played at Freitas or whatever it is called when the men played in Hartford.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:40 am

LS71 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:16 pm I know there’s a women’s Hockey East that UMass should be in….
I also saw that women’s pro league is starting soon and Boston has a franchise.
There were two pro women's hockey leagues, and one had a Boston based team for the whole time (Boston Pride - they were the best team in the league). The other league did a hostile takeover of that one and reduced the number of teams overall, but Boston was lucky enough to get one of the original franchises. A lot of good hockey playing women are out of a job this year because of it, but hopefully they can get back in action.

Source: my cousin worked (and was an emergency goalie) for the Connecticut Whale.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I was unaware.
I had a Bruins game on the radio while driving recently and a woman involved with the new Boston franchise was an intermission guest.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:05 pm

LS71 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:56 pm Thanks for the info. I was unaware.
I had a Bruins game on the radio while driving recently and a woman involved with the new Boston franchise was an intermission guest.
I'm hoping for the best for it. Even though it sucks for a lot of the people involved with the old league, this one is being set up for success better. The hope is that they'll expand to more teams in the near future and hopefully then bring back some of the talent from Europe.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:23 pm

jjmc85 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:35 am Hockey East bylaws say any Men’s member has an automatic invite to women’s if they have a program so there is a conference waiting right there for them.

I haven’t checked the latest Title IX reports but previously UMass was at a deficit of about 60 women’s scholarships or so. Hockey would cut into that deficit if it still exists.

Could also use the practice rink for home games if desired. BU women play at Walter Brown and UConn women played at Freitas or whatever it is called when the men played in Hartford.
UMass added women's rowing for Title IX purposes when they added mens hockey. With the rise in the popularity of women's hockey I would bet if the decision were made today UMass would add women's hockey instead of rowing.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:32 pm

Kind of infuriating to me that Delaware added women’s hockey before UMass did. Good for Delaware and I’m jealous.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:03 am

Being in the HE, it is still baffling to me that we don't have a D1 Women's Hockey program. This is a no-brainer add.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:49 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:03 am Being in the HE, it is still baffling to me that we don't have a D1 Women's Hockey program. This is a no-brainer add.
Completely agreed. Women's Hockey is a growing sport and we're in one of the areas where there's a lot of local talent. There's a reason the women's pro leagues (now 3 of them) have all been focused in New England and Eastern Canada for the most part.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:16 pm

Add this to the items on the "Ryan Bamford complaint list". I have a friend who is over the top about wanting women's hockey. He confronted RB about it and all I heard was "It costs too much".

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:32 pm

^

Obviously the sport of hockey is not the cheapest sport in the world to play and put on, at any level. But we have so many things already built in that should make this a very easy thing to accomplish. At the very least, set up a plan to work towards getting it off the ground - I'm sure there's many that would open up the purse strings if there was a defined goal.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades