2023-24 Season

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023-24 Season

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

I feel for the guys. They left it all on the ice. You can’t any more than that.

They dominated both OTs. They out shot Denver but couldn’t outscore them.

The UMass fans stayed and gave them an ovation after the game and stayed until each player was off the ice.

A GREAT display of support by the UMass faithful! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

doubledribble
Freshman

Post by doubledribble » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

Agreed!
Great showing by both the team and the fans!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm

Very proud of the way the guys played today. We had so many chances and just couldn't put the puck in the net. Does anyone know if we have any recruits coming in who are goal scorers? I think the 3 freshmen will get better as sophs, but we need more firepower.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm Phenomenal game, brutal finish. That was one that was worth watching, even though we came out on the wrong side.
We???????You on the team? How much ice time did you get?
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm Phenomenal game, brutal finish. That was one that was worth watching, even though we came out on the wrong side.

About equal ice time as Sheck and 69MG, you fucking troll.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

absolutely agree, great game and Umass players really stepped it up. Just didn't like how Denver goalie was given so much time to recover from whatever injury he had during a power play that we had great pressure and gave their team time to rest when they had players on the ice that couldn't change up. Is there a limit in how much time a goalie gets for an injury time out without the team having to change a goalie ? You could always change them back after the next face off. In some sports like football the player has to come out of game if injured, especially with all the fake injuries that happen on defense when a team is making a drive on a no huddle offense.
Seemed really strange how there was no after effect on his performance after his injury. But more critical it gave the players on the ice for Denver a critical rest as they did not have a line change during our power play. Just seemed strange and not sure why they were not forced to make a goalie change after so many minutes ( similar to any other player who gets hurt during a shift on the ice).

Just wondering what the rule is, as it was a huge turning point.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 pm

missing that empty net play as well as fanning on shot all alone in front of net were bad mistakes.

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 pm

this is the only ruling that I could find about a goalie getting hurt: Found on USA Hockey website.

Rule 206 | Injured Players

(a) When a player is injured or compelled to leave the ice during a game, they may retire from the game and be replaced by a substitute under the player substitution rules.
When a player is injured and is unable to continue play or go to their bench, play shall be stopped immediately unless the opposing team is in possession of the puck, in which case play shall not be stopped until a change of possession has occurred.
In the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, the Referee and/or Linesman may stop the play immediately.
A player other than a goalkeeper, whose injury appears serious enough to warrant the stoppage of play, may not participate further in the game until the completion of the ensuing face-off.

(b) If a goalkeeper sustains an injury or becomes ill they must be ready to resume play immediately or be replaced by a substitute goalkeeper. No additional time shall be allowed by the Referee for the purpose of enabling the injured or ill goalkeeper to resume their position. (See also Rule 205(a).)
The substitute goalkeeper shall be subject to the rules governing goalkeepers and shall be entitled to the same privileges.

I would also think that when the trainer had to come out to assist the injured player that that would also require the player to have to leave the ice, particularly since it was nothing to do with his equipment. Plus I would have thought that Denver would have to use a time out, which they didn't.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 pm

^In all my years of watching College Hockey, I’ve never seen a team charged a time out because of an injured player. That’s football.

Edit- UMass played well. Sucks they lost but they lost. It’s not because of the Denver goalie getting hurt or the refs allowing time for him to recover they lost. They had chances before and after and didn’t capitalize. That being said I’m extremely proud of the team and the effort they put in on Thursday.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Not to harp on that play but I just watched the replay. Denver never had possession of the puck ( in fact Umass was setting up a play on the power play, the goalie was never hit by a puck or player. It appears he hurt himself just sliding on his own to the other side of the net, so it was self inflicted. Why would the official think it was a serious injury, enough to stop play immediately and not at least a change in possession. I have never seen play stop for a skater that pulls a muscle while skating and has a hard time getting back to the bench or was hit hard legally and struggles to get back on his feet.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 pm

pk77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 pm I have never seen play stop for a skater that pulls a muscle while skating and has a hard time getting back to the bench or was hit hard legally and struggles to get back on his feet.
I’m not sure how much college hockey you watch? It happens often. For example the game UMass lost 4-1 to Merrimack at Merrimack the play was blown dead when a Merrimack player (Jefferies?) got hurt.

Edit-often might be the wrong word. It happens not every game but it happens enough where this was not unprecedented. No one that I talked to at the game complained about it and I didn’t think to complain about it. Hockey players usually don’t fake injuries. I don’t think this guy was faking either. Sucks he got hurt. Glad it’s not serious. Sucks UMass lost but they did.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 pm

To me, it seemed that the injury was too convenient. We had some significant pressure going on and, IIRC, had control of the puck in the offensive end when the whistle blew. If the defense had control or the puck was out of the offensive end, then stop the clock. It's a slippery slope to not address similar future situations. Having said that, congrats are in order to the great game by their goalie (as well as ours). Tremendous effort by all.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:52 pm

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:40 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am
Cahoonaville wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

About equal ice time as Sheck and 69MG, you fucking troll.
I thought u guys had a couple pretty good shifts :lol:
69 almost scored!
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:44 pm

^ Hit the post, dammit!