DeMichiel gone

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

DeMichiel gone

Post by Old Cage » Wed May 25, 2022 8:40 pm

"Michigan State head coach Adam Nightingale has hired UMass assistant Jared DeMichiel on his staff as an assistant coach. DeMichiel won the 2021 national title with the Minutemen".
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: DeMichiel gone

Post by 69MG » Wed May 25, 2022 10:25 pm

Very tough to lose Ben and Jared in consecutive years. Carvy probably needs to find an experienced assistant who can duplicate the recruiting savvy he lost in those 2 guys.

Kind of surprising but maybe they offered him a LOT more money.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 am

While losing an assistant to be HC is one thing, this lateral move is a bit of a head-scratcher, as UMass is top tier now in hockey. Hopefully, it is 'just the bucks'.

So many moving pieces in college hockey with early leaving to NHL, the transfer portal, add in COVID lurking around, talk about needing to have 'your head on a swivel'.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Thu May 26, 2022 10:54 am

Real interesting. Throw in the very hushed dismissal of Matt Lindsay and you wonder if 3 assistants leaving/fired in a year is coincidence or not. I hope so. Who is on your list for assistants? James Marcou is the first one to come to mind here for a UMass guy.

Carvel and what he has accomplished is obviously attractive to any kid looking to play for someone who can help him move forward. But this morning I had a few of my fellow hoops fans remind me of the relationships assistants build up on the recruiting trail with prospects and you wonder how that channel will be affected.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:57 am

I don't know any inside info but It's been over a week and Coach Carvey usually has someone "lined up" by now so I think he's going to be real selective for his next hires! Stay tuned!