History

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

History

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:34 pm

Have been following hockey from afar, first year with season tickets. Last home game was at Orr Rink ( not including Regionals at Manchester!)
Question- Why does the visiting team enter the ice from behind their bench, while the home team enters from the corner? I imagine that was not the case under the original design!?!?!
When and why was the change made? Also find it unusual that the BBall and Hockey use different home sides, but I had tickets to game #2 of the basketball history at the Mullins Center and nothing has changed there, even with the change of locker room location with the Champions Center utilization.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!

meff
Sophomore

Re: History

Post by meff » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:38 pm

It's changed back and forth twice that I can remember, but to start visitor bench was the bench in front of section U as it is now, but it was for a few years switched. The thought is having the ability to swap a player post penalty kill outweighs the benefit of the tunnel hence the configuration today. Add to that the location of the locker room has never been right off that tunnel so its not a huge advantage.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Re: History

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:13 pm

meff wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:38 pm It's changed back and forth twice that I can remember, but to start visitor bench was the bench in front of section U as it is now, but it was for a few years switched. The thought is having the ability to swap a player post penalty kill outweighs the benefit of the tunnel hence the configuration today. Add to that the location of the locker room has never been right off that tunnel so its not a huge advantage.
Thanks! Imagine if they had considered putting the penalty box on the side where the visitors bench is and they could have had both benefits! Felt bad for Bohlinger and Faith having to go back on the ice to get back to their locker room after their injuries!