College Hockey retracting? UAB drops sport

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
econalum
Hall of Fame

College Hockey retracting? UAB drops sport

Post by econalum » Tue May 26, 2020 8:45 pm

Let's hope that this is a one-time thing.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... lf-century
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: College Hockey retracting? UAB drops sport

Post by Old Cage » Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 am

"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm

The story of UAH (not UAB) decision to drop hockey is multifaceted with financial implications and conference affiliation. UAH was in the "new" WCHA, which was the sloppy seconds of the "old" WCHA and the "old" CCHA after the Big Ten blew apart the college hockey conference structure. The WCHA ranged from Alabama to Alaska to Minnesota to Ohio. Lots of travel. The nearest hockey school to Huntsville is several hundred miles away. The cost of operating the sport as well as the substantial travel costs were obviously the major reasons the school dropped hockey.

Travel was a major reason the "new" WCHA disbanded this season. Most of the WCHA decided to leave the conference to form a new conference (with the old name of the CCHA, which was owned by Bowling Green apparently). Essentially, they kicked out Huntsville and the two Alaska schools. Huntsville was likely not going to get an invitation to join any other conference. Scheduling as an independent is difficult in college hockey; Arizona State is independent and has huge lulls in their schedule between, say, late January and the NCAA postseason in late March because every other team is deep into conference play. BTW, don't be surprised if one or both Alaska programs are cut as they were on life support before COVID.

The story of LIU is bizarre. They came out of absolutely nowhere when they announced the program, especially in the middle of a pandemic where schools are slashing programs. Nobody in college hockey circles was even aware of LIU forming a varsity hockey program. Then word leaked out about their planned budget for the program of (I think) $350k. Administrators and coaches around college hockey were puzzled at how they can afford to pay coaches (in the Metro NY region), equipment, support staff, ice time, travel, and scholarships for $350k and offer a competitive D-I program. Come to find out, the department assumed that the cost of the men's program would be the same as the women's program they currently offer. Yikes. In addition, they made the decision to go varsity in hockey without a conference invitation. They are in the same boat as the two Alaska schools and Arizona State.

My gut instinct is that LIU is not going to offer scholarships. They will wind up being a program with players who want to play D-I hockey, can't get a scholarship at another D-I school for whatever reason, and can afford to pay their own way. LIU could make a nice tidy profit if all of the players pay their own way.

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:09 pm

LIU finally hired a head coach.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:35 pm

UAH boosters have put together a last-second effort to save the program. They need to raise $750k by Friday to keep the program for next year. A couple of UAH alums donated a significant part. Flames goalie Cam Talbot (a UAH guy) is helping out with the fundraising, as well as a handful of NHL players. Looks like they are close.

BTW, it appears that the WCHA will be intact for one more season before disbanding. UAH would have a hockey home next season, if they are able to hold a season.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am

sad about UAH, but no one else joined em in the southeast.

LIU probably used that $350k that DK saved them the first two years of his deal while Bamford was still paying em!
UMass02 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm The story of UAH (not UAB) decision to drop hockey is multifaceted with financial implications and conference affiliation. UAH was in the "new" WCHA, which was the sloppy seconds of the "old" WCHA and the "old" CCHA after the Big Ten blew apart the college hockey conference structure. The WCHA ranged from Alabama to Alaska to Minnesota to Ohio. Lots of travel. The nearest hockey school to Huntsville is several hundred miles away. The cost of operating the sport as well as the substantial travel costs were obviously the major reasons the school dropped hockey.

Travel was a major reason the "new" WCHA disbanded this season. Most of the WCHA decided to leave the conference to form a new conference (with the old name of the CCHA, which was owned by Bowling Green apparently). Essentially, they kicked out Huntsville and the two Alaska schools. Huntsville was likely not going to get an invitation to join any other conference. Scheduling as an independent is difficult in college hockey; Arizona State is independent and has huge lulls in their schedule between, say, late January and the NCAA postseason in late March because every other team is deep into conference play. BTW, don't be surprised if one or both Alaska programs are cut as they were on life support before COVID.

The story of LIU is bizarre. They came out of absolutely nowhere when they announced the program, especially in the middle of a pandemic where schools are slashing programs. Nobody in college hockey circles was even aware of LIU forming a varsity hockey program. Then word leaked out about their planned budget for the program of (I think) $350k. Administrators and coaches around college hockey were puzzled at how they can afford to pay coaches (in the Metro NY region), equipment, support staff, ice time, travel, and scholarships for $350k and offer a competitive D-I program. Come to find out, the department assumed that the cost of the men's program would be the same as the women's program they currently offer. Yikes. In addition, they made the decision to go varsity in hockey without a conference invitation. They are in the same boat as the two Alaska schools and Arizona State.

My gut instinct is that LIU is not going to offer scholarships. They will wind up being a program with players who want to play D-I hockey, can't get a scholarship at another D-I school for whatever reason, and can afford to pay their own way. LIU could make a nice tidy profit if all of the players pay their own way.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sat May 30, 2020 7:22 am

It looks like UAH hit the $750k goal to keep the program for the 20-21 season.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 pm

The University of Alaska Anchorage is disbanding men’s hockey after the 2020-2021 academic year.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 pm

U Alaska had major funding issues before the pandemic. And with its long-distance travel requirements for games, an easy cut for a university in true crisis. Witness https://www.insidehighered.com/news/202 ... ograms-and

Fundamentally, Alaska's economy has been dependent on the Alaska pipeline for 40+ years, but the flow has diminished as has the value of oil itself, so fewer tax receipts.

Too bad.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:05 am

Bucci Mane @Buccigross
The University of Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves are trying to save their hockey program set to be eliminated by a Board Of Regents vote next Thursday. Coach Matt Curley told me tonight they are looking for the BOR to delay their decision for 3-6 months, shooting for late Feb..
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

St. Thomas is moving to D1. So that makes two teams adding and maybe on subtracting. I donated to UAH. I’ll donate to UAA too Id given the opportunity.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!