Recruiting -- 2018 and beyond

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Recruiting -- 2018 and beyond

Post by Old Cage » Thu May 06, 2021 8:30 am

DoctorJ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 am UMass med school students don't have time for our hockey bandwagon and there are not enough of them to justify an outreach game.
UMass med student: "What? There's some sort of a campus in Amherst? Who knew?"
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu May 06, 2021 8:38 am

Floyd wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 pm
jjmc85 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 pm
Floyd wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:47 pm This hockey run is starting to feel a little bit like the 90's run in hoop! Hope they play a few games around the state to get more visibility, like a game or 2 in Worcester
I mean, they play in Hockey East. Just about every conference game is in state or damn near close to it. Granted none are in Worcester but they play in Amherst, Boston (at least three times), Lowell, and North Andover in Mass, and Providence isn’t far from the border either. Not sure how much more they can do to get visibility playing around the state TBH
I understand. I just don't think a lot of people will travel an hour to watch a college team play, unless you're a diehard. I live in central Mass and was talking up the hockey run this year to people and more than half of them didn't know they were playing for a national championship, and even asked me if they were that good. Maybe it was just the pandemic
I live in/around Boston and can confirm that people who didn't go to UMass were aware of the Hockey run. It might have something to do with having multiple DI schools right in the area that kept it on the minds of people.

Lets see what the attendance numbers look like the year after a national championship before we try to fix them though.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

DoctorJ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 am
Game in the Garden with a marquee opponent sounds like more fun.
Would also serve a purpose of getting on the Garden ice before Hockey East semis. BC, BU, NU get two (2) games a year, which certainly helps them. The Frozen Four is in Boston in 2020, so it would certainly help if the season gets that far. Remember in the 2018-2019 season UM was Hockey East regular season champs but did win the post-season championship, that went through the Garden, which happens every year, except this year.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am
DoctorJ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 am
Would also serve a purpose of getting on the Garden ice before Hockey East semis. BC, BU, NU get two (2) games a year, which certainly helps them. The Frozen Four is in Boston in 2020, so it would certainly help if the season gets that far. Remember in the 2018-2019 season UM was Hockey East regular season champs but did win the post-season championship, that went through the Garden, which happens every year, except this year.

I'm not sure that theory works. UMass Lowell won the HE Championship in 2017 and didn't play a regular season game in Boston.

I'd love to see them play a regular season game in Boston (or Worcester for that matter), but I don't think it will make or break their chances to win the HE Tournament or NCAA Tournament again.

SIDE NOTE: Lowell made the HE Finals 5 years in a row and won 3 of them... wow. I never realized that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu May 06, 2021 1:01 pm

^ FYI
UM is 0-1 in the Garden in the past five (5) years. Personally, I would get as many games in the Garden as possible......

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 06, 2021 1:03 pm

To each their own, I guess

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 am Plus, if we play AIC, that one is in Springfield.

I do like occasional games at DCU but I think hoop in Worcester is a slightly bigger draw. UMass med school students don't have time for our hockey bandwagon and there are not enough of them to justify an outreach game.

With this hockey team, we should play anyone, anywhere, anytime like Cal would in the day.

It was before my time, but wasn’t the “any team, any time, any place” thing to try to establish the program? UMass hockey is established at this point. They’re the defending national champions. Get home and homes with marquee programs, but play the home games at Mullins Center. If Holy Cross wants to host at DCU then I’d be fine with that too.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Yeah, don't count on Holy Cross hosting a game at the DCU anytime soon. Back ages ago when there were rumblings of Holy Cross men coming to Hockey East they approached the DCU to play games there like ConU does in Hartford. Railers nixed that hard and fast. So I think even if they wanted a single marquee game there it wouldn't happen.

Back in the golden hoop days folks from Boston came out for games, they can do it again. No need for the hockey team to lose the home ice advantage that is the Mullins.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri May 07, 2021 8:41 am

Lets just get some high speed rail from Boston to Springfield so the trip can be made more frequently.

I mean I'd love better rail infrastructure for just general purposes, but I'd sure as hell take it for "getting back to watch sports more easily" purposes as well.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 am

e_parade wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:41 am Lets just get some high speed rail from Boston to Springfield so the trip can be made more frequently.

I mean I'd love better rail infrastructure for just general purposes, but I'd sure as hell take it for "getting back to watch sports more easily" purposes as well.

WHERE IS THE "LIKE" FEATURE?!?!?!! Amen man, amen!

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 am

After this season (with a National Championship!), I've decided to not worry about recruiting. I think Carvel knows what he;s doing.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:20 am

According to the Hampshire Gazette we've added Matt Baker, a grad transfer from Dartmouth. Didn't play last year (Ivies cancelled the season). He's a forward; has elite speed, play making, and doggedness.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu May 27, 2021 5:07 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 am — Cornell's Cam Donaldson and Dartmouth's Matt Baker. Donaldson had 12 goals as a sophomore for the Big Red. Baker was 6-18—24 for the Big Green. Neither played this past season, which there wasn’t for Ivy League schools.
Refresh

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri May 28, 2021 7:09 am

Also, Goaltender Matt Murray to return for his 5th season.
I haven't seen that Lindberg was leaving so, if he does not,, that would give us two excellent goaltenders.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 am

I guess the 5 years of scholarship isn't an issue with goalies. Relieved to have him back!
Refuse To Lose!!!