Hockey Excellence Fund

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
Hall of Fame

Hockey Excellence Fund

Post by 78 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:37 am

Only 12 days left to go to donate to the hockey excellence fund and it is far from reaching its goal. Some fans have been extremely generous. Kick in a few bucks if you can, to help the process of getting the program back on its feet.

https://minutefund.umass.edu/project/1921
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

wmmmfan
Junior

Re: Hockey Excellence Fund

Post by wmmmfan » Fri May 20, 2016 7:10 pm

Only 43 donors to date? I would have expected many more than that by this point.

Even if people can only give $10 getting the number of donors up shows the programs has a following and is important to the over all university community.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:52 pm

I donated to the fund on the UMass Gives date. Did the same with the women's basketball fund. I usually just donate to the Minutemen Club and Gridiron Club but thought it was important to donate to the two other funds this year
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed May 25, 2016 6:56 am

^^ ^ Excellent suggestions!
(did it)...

#s are important re: all sports...
The rest of my posts have been Postponed until the next one.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:44 pm

Just got a really classy email from coach thanking me for my donation. I think that just convinced me to donate every year. Our athletic department is just working on a more professional level now. I love it.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 am

I got a nice email from Athletics Development person I know pretty well; shortly after my donation...
nicely done...

This is a Top-Down Operation...
A.D. got the message out from the get-go; and the Staff is on board...
The rest of my posts have been Postponed until the next one.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:14 pm

^^^^

And sadly it is only at 26 percent of its goal with 6 days left...with 40 total donors. While I love the new coach and what I have seen so far, I question how much emphasis and effort is being put behind the hockey program when it can't even get close to a fund raising goal that supposedly has the support from the top down.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:46 pm

78 wrote:^^^^

And sadly it is only at 26 percent of its goal with 6 days left...with 40 total donors. While I love the new coach and what I have seen so far, I question how much emphasis and effort is being put behind the hockey program when it can't even get close to a fund raising goal that supposedly has the support from the top down.
After the damage Micheletto and company did by driving most of our already small fanbase away from the program, it isn't surprising to see such low numbers. UMass is essentially starting from scratch in terms of building hockey fans and hockey donors. The low numbers aren't an indication of "emphasis and effort being put behind the hockey program." It is an indication that the fans and donors simply aren't there. Perhaps people are taking a wait-and-see attitude?

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:57 am

Carvel has been pushing the fund a lot through emails to fans and at his meet and greet appearances, but other than that I haven't seen the department publicizing it a lot as we enter the final days. It doesn't seem theyve engaged the big donors the way they did with some of the other recent capital projects. Or if they did they weren't able to get those donors to contribute.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:12 am

I got a nice email from Coach Carvel as well, thought that was a great personal touch. He's certainly doing an infinitely better job than his predecessor.

The fund is obviously not fully funded, but I think they might just extend the deadlines and keep working at it. They set an overly ambitious goal; it helps them gauge the level of interest they're working with and lets them know how much work has to be done in order to win back and generate new donors. The old coach lost pretty much all the goodwill that existed and the program has been in the cellar, that is going to take some time to fix. Carvel is doing everything he can, related to both on-ice and off-ice factors, to try and rectify that.

If I had to guess I think we'll see an announcement in the next week that extends the deadline for the fund and then they might start working at marketing it more aggressively to donors. IMO it would look really bad if they just let the date come and say "Well, that's it, we got some of it." Even if they have to adjust the dates it will look exponentially better if the task is fully funded by the end.

When you compare it to WBB, who's goal was $25K IIRC and they have raised $400, hockey at now over $20K is doing pretty well. The WBB fund is on the extreme end and they might shut that down, I'm not sure.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 pm

The Hockey Excellence Fund, set to end today (June 1st), now has an extended deadline of July 18th; they gave it another month and half.

[The WBB fund has ended, doesn't look like that's getting a stay of execution. Raised $450]

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:13 am

Got a nice thank you email from Coach as well. The nice part about it was that he clearly wants to get to know people... he specifically asked for a response with who I was and my connection, if any, to the hockey program. It's a nice touch to see that kind of outreach.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 am

^
The change in the demeanor of the athletic department since Bamford took over has been extraordinary.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:50 pm

^ One more example of reaching out: Swamy and Ryan and Rocko are at the Cape Cod Alumni group's annual golf day fund raiser today at Willowbend. No funds there for the Athletic Department.

(Now, of course, if I could play Willowbend today for no coin, on this excellent weather day,.....) :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."