Head Coach 2016: Micheletto out, Carvel in

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
baseline47
Senior

Re: Head Coach 2016: Micheletto out, Carvel in

Post by baseline47 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:56 pm

I remember how disappointed I was when UMass hired as head coach a little white guy who didn't even play Div. 1 basketball. :o :)
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:31 pm

From 2006-09 UMass was simply mediocre (1 season over .500) and they averaged at least 5,000 fans each season. To put that in context, three Hockey East teams this year averaged more than 5,000. This program is a sleeping giant and I think/hope Carvel will take us beyond anything Toot was able to do.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:25 pm

MassMan06 wrote:From 2006-09 UMass was simply mediocre (1 season over .500) and they averaged at least 5,000 fans each season. To put that in context, three Hockey East teams this year averaged more than 5,000. This program is a sleeping giant and I think/hope Carvel will take us beyond anything Toot was able to do.
Yeah but that also includes making it to the HE semi finals and making it to the NCAA Tournament in 2006-'07. Also, if I recall correctly we won an in-season tournament in '07-'08 over a couple highly ranked teams and might have even bounced into the top 5 in the national rankings.

I do think your main point stands though. If Carvel can get this team to the point that they are actually a threat to beat any team on any night, the attendance numbers should be good. If we can get anywhere near the success rate we had in the middle of the last decade with Toot (although hopefully more consistent) I will consider the hire a good one.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:48 pm

UMass Hockey @UMassHockey
Look who's here! So glad to have Coach Carvel in Amherst! #UniteTheMasses

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:51 pm

This is a solid hire, no question. People in college hockey circles have taken notice.

I'm glad to see things working out so well with hockey. I'm impressed by the coordinated effort with announcing a new coach, opening up season ticket renewals, and starting a new fundraising campaign. Best to strike while the iron is hot!

Things are really changing with the athletic department. I'm excited to see the positive things going on in the department, even with so many storm clouds (football conference issue and basketball) hanging over it.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:48 am

So, now we know that the Amherst College coach, Jack Arena, played a significant role. I love his quote, that our program "is a home run waiting to happen."
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Kieron
Freshman

Post by Kieron » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:36 am

My favorite quote from the press conference this morning: ""It's easy to tell defensemen, 'I coached Erik Karlsson. I coached Zdeno Chara. I think I can handle you.'""

I thought it was a good start - I liked what I heard and his attitude to where we are. I also liked that he's looking to bring Toot back into the fold.

The Twittersphere seems positive including the quotes from players via the gentlemen at the Collegian:

Dominic Trento's (via Ross Gienieczko): https://twitter.com/RossGien/status/715551313040445442

Shane Walsh: https://twitter.com/ShaneWalsh10/status ... 0383008768

Austin Plevy: (via Jason Kates) https://twitter.com/Jason_Kates/status/ ... 7425215493

Will be renewing my season ticket and thinking about a contribution the to Excellence Fund as well this week.
The Future is Bright - The Future is Maroon and White

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:24 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Bamford also seems to have talked to a lot of knowledgeable people in college hockey and actually LISTENED to what they had to say ... even as he kept everything so close to the vest that apparently even his own father didn't know who the new coach was going to be.

I can say for a fact that little to none of that was true during the last debacle of a coaching search.
Exactly. I like the hire a lot, but don't know if he'll better than Pearl or Dennehy, and don't even think Bamford or anyone could. But everything he's done since day 1 as AD has given me trust and faith in his judgment, and in his ability to move on if something is not working. (Clock is now really ticking DK ;) )
MassMan06 wrote:From 2006-09 UMass was simply mediocre (1 season over .500) and they averaged at least 5,000 fans each season. To put that in context, three Hockey East teams this year averaged more than 5,000. This program is a sleeping giant and I think/hope Carvel will take us beyond anything Toot was able to do.
Toot did plateau his last few years, but outside of the weird initial 2-year stretch with transfers UMass was a joke before he got here, and a joke after he was fired. UMass is considered a sleeping giant instead of a perennial, latecoming doormat because of what Toot showed the program was capable of. With just slightly more puck luck in the mid-2000s he would have had multiple postseason appearances and possibly a final four, and he will always have a special place in program history, even if it did sour a little at the end. (What's the saying? All things end poorly, otherwise they wouldn't end?)

And it wouldn't matter, but I love the grace and class he has shown since then, and how willing he is to continue supporting the program instead of holding a grudge.
mdogt12 wrote:
Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 1h1 hour ago
Hearing James Marcou (Milton Acad. asst.), Eddie Olcyzk, Jr (Niagara U asst.) will be alums considered for 2nd assistant position at UMass.
Topher Bevis is also allegedly on that list. He's big with the Jr. Bruins, which is the premier club team in the area and has some ELITE recruits. Though maybe if Marcou comes he can convince Kravchenko and future small, skilled players to spend all 4 years in college instead of leaving early to chase the pro dream!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:36 pm

I am not a hockey guy and I am not going to pretend to be one.

The hiring is what it is, it is a new coach.

To the hockey people in the know, how does our spend on hockey compare to the top programs? While everyone can get excited about the hire and the secrecy the search was handled in if we are still spending quite a bit less than other teams in hockey east and new england it may not matter.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:20 pm

I am not a big hockey guy, but I am a coach. I predict this will be tremendous hire based on what was said and how it was said in the press conference. Carvel is my kind of guy and if lived in the east I'd buy my season tickets right now!

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:33 am

He's very passionate and what I like is he likes "smart guys" and plays that way! This would be quite a change from the basketball team!

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:27 pm

Carvel says his players are prepared. If that's even half true it'll be a vast improvement over a coach who rarely had his team prepared and fell behind early a ton, especially this past season.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:46 am

Pierre McGuire gave a positive review on the hire during the B's game last night while talking about Frank V. Guy has good hockey knowledge, so I take this as a postive sign.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:37 am

McGuire was part of the introduction materials last week:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/uma ... t-2016.pdf

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:49 am

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades