Head Coach 2016: Micheletto out, Carvel in

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Re: Micheletto out, new coach ?

Post by Roadtrip » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Seems from his record at St Lawrence that this is a middle of the pack hire. Not what I was expecting, but maybe top shelf coaches just don't want to coach at UMass.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:58 pm

When Ryan was hired, I posted in one of the threads that his Dad was an ECAC administrator for many years before he retired, and that he might be a valuable asset going forward.

I have no idea how much he was involved in this hire, but I would bet that, at the very least, Ryan mined Steve's knowledge of hockey coaches in the ECAC and around the east in general. I know that Steve has been out of the daily arena for a while, but, based on his tweets, he certainly has kept his hand in.

And then, of course, I may be way, way off base. :lol:
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:58 pm

Don't let the record at SLU fool you, he consistently beat the expectations his peers had of his teams. General consensus from the hockey media this is a good hire as well.

He also has been involved in two Stanley Cup final appearances as a scout for one and assistant coach for the other.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 pm

If the SLU thread on USCHO is any indication this is a good hire. They are disappointed to lose their coach.
#maction 🚩#flagship

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Re: Head Coach 2016: Micheletto out, Carvel in

Post by MassMan06 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Agreed. Absolutely no mention of him until now but all indications are that he's a good hire. Wife is also apparently from Amherst and he's an alum of the Sport Management grad program. Not important now, but if he ends up being a good one that could be a reason for him to stick around.
Last edited by MassMan06 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:05 pm

What a bad hire. Be prepared to stay in the bottom half of HE with this one. No idea why they made this hire unless Pearl and Dennehy pulled out. Was excited about those two guys, but this is more of the same. Not impressed with Bamford's first hire. Hopefully women's hoop goes better and ultimately whoever replaces DK.
Hire Matt McCall!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:08 pm

I have no idea if this is a good or bad hire, not following college hockey all that much. Seems like the Twitter reaction is pretty positive though (from both UMass and non-UMass twitterers). Hope their reaction proves to be accurate.

Welcome aboard, coach.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:10 pm

^^Do you know something that no one else does? Form all other accounts from those in the know, this is a very good hire.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:14 pm

http://www.gazettenet.com/Sports/UMass/ ... es-1214779
The Saints were 27-41-8 in the two years before he arrived, but he’s built them into an annual contender in the ECAC. He was the league’s 2014-15 coach of the year.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Jackson96 wrote:I have no idea if this is a good or bad hire, not following college hockey all that much. Seems like the Twitter reaction is pretty positive though (from both UMass and non-UMass twitterers). Hope their reaction proves to be accurate.

Welcome aboard, coach.
What was the consensus feel when Mick was hired? I don't recall...

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:44 pm

MJatUM wrote:What was the consensus feel when Mick was hired? I don't recall...
I have no idea, I don't follow hockey much. So I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, either.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:What a bad hire. Be prepared to stay in the bottom half of HE with this one. No idea why they made this hire unless Pearl and Dennehy pulled out. Was excited about those two guys, but this is more of the same. Not impressed with Bamford's first hire. Hopefully women's hoop goes better and ultimately whoever replaces DK.

Pearl. An AHA coach that couldn't find a full time gig? No thanks.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:What a bad hire. Be prepared to stay in the bottom half of HE with this one. No idea why they made this hire unless Pearl and Dennehy pulled out. Was excited about those two guys, but this is more of the same. Not impressed with Bamford's first hire. Hopefully women's hoop goes better and ultimately whoever replaces DK.
Well, so far the score here and on Twitter is about 50 for and R2L against. I like this comment:

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 6 hours ago
Can't say strongly enough what an unbelievably great hire Greg Carvel is for UMass. Rising star in the hockey world.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:45 pm

A statement like this one requires some sort of explanation/reasoning.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:12 pm

It seems to me to he a very good hire. A successful head coach at an ECAC school with ties to Umass. Jerry York (or Norm Bazin) are not walking thru the door so I think Bamford did a good job. While I am not a serious hockey fan like many on this site, I would think hockey followers would be very pleased with the importance of the sport that Bamford clearly places on hockey.