Quick the Olympian?

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:17 am

Quick mentioned UMass and Toot last night in a post game interview on the NHL network. I don't think there is any hiding UMass here at all, WBZ is mentioning Quick and UMass every :30 in the sports segment as well.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am

Crank wrote:I believe it was NBC announcer Mike Emerick that stated something along the lines of "from UMass-Amherst to the Stanley Cup" right as the game ended, so there was a shout-out there. Shame about the hyphen part, but still a nice mention at a perfect moment even if Jon didn't say it himself.
It was Eddie Olczyk who said it, who's son plays for UMass. That certainly helped. When watching the 2010 olympics when Quick was on the team, he mentioned UMass and Toot Cahoon several times.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 am

Crank wrote:I believe it was NBC announcer Mike Emerick that stated something along the lines of "from UMass-Amherst to the Stanley Cup" right as the game ended, so there was a shout-out there. Shame about the hyphen part, but still a nice mention at a perfect moment even if Jon didn't say it himself.
When we play in the same conference as UMass-Lowell, I don't mind hearing UMass-Amherst in a hockey context. Maybe that's just me.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 pm

When asked by Darren Pang who he would like to thank, Quick said "too many to mention" and he could have left it at that. Instead, he then went on to specifically mention Jon Gardner and Avon Old Farms, and then Toot Cahoon and UMass, as well as Bill Ranford (his goalie coach in LA).

Seemed pretty genuine to me.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

runner_bric
Sophomore

Post by runner_bric » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:28 pm

WWEEEEEAAAAKKKK

Oh well, at least a Umass alum won the cup, even if it was the expanse of my team. Apparently Quick had some nice things to say to Marti afterwards as well!

BullmooseGEO
Sophomore

Post by BullmooseGEO » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Does anyone know who is responsible for http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/ ? I thought they were part of the globe, yet they've been nice to us...

They've currently got a nice shout-out to Quick up top.

They also had the pic of James Ihedigdo after the win at Montana in '06 (one that Jackman uses as his avatar).
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I found a link to the postgame interview Dickie mentions above where Quick mentions UMass, Toot, and goaltending coach Jim Stewart.

It, and a ton of other Quick stuff, is on today's FTT post:

http://fearthetriangle.com/2012/06/12/q ... day-after/

(hope you don't mind me linking, Mike)

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 am

BullmooseGEO wrote:Does anyone know who is responsible for http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/ ? I thought they were part of the globe, yet they've been nice to us...

I believe Boston Dirt Dogs is run by a UMASS guy, but not 100% sure. They are affiliated with the Globe, but I don't think are a Globe site. BDD has always been kind to UMASS, when appropriate.

As a matter of fact, the top right corner of the site explains the Globe connection...
BDD is a feature of Boston.com. The site is not produced by the Boston Globe sports dept.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:03 pm

meff wrote:Quick mentioned UMass and Toot last night in a post game interview on the NHL network. I don't think there is any hiding UMass here at all, WBZ is mentioning Quick and UMass every :30 in the sports segment as well.
Excellent!
Rocks22 wrote:I found a link to the postgame interview Dickie mentions above where Quick mentions UMass, Toot, and goaltending coach Jim Stewart.

It, and a ton of other Quick stuff, is on today's FTT post:

http://fearthetriangle.com/2012/06/12/q ... day-after/

(hope you don't mind me linking, Mike)
Even better. I would expect nothing less from you and Dickie Dunn!

Now, if we can just hear a few words from Percy then all will be right with the world of UMass hockey! 8)

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Front page article on nhl.com is on Quick and a picture of him in his UMass jersey. Talks about his UMass time too. Pretty cool.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6348 ... L|NHL|home
Hire Matt McCall!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 am

MikeUMA wrote:When we play in the same conference as UMass-Lowell, I don't mind hearing UMass-Amherst in a hockey context. Maybe that's just me.
It may not be just you, but I am certainly on the other side of the coin with this one. They are UMASS Lowell, we are UMASS.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 am

Agreed. Yes, Mike, it's just you! :)

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 pm

The UML fans hate the hyphen just as much as UMass fans. They'd be content simply going by "Lowell."

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 pm

^The Ice Is Life and USCHO poster UML fans, who I take it are roughly 10+ years out of college.

In my experience, the more recent grads and students call it UMass Lowell and like the name.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 am

No comments on Quick's profanity at the Cup celebration? I had figured everyone here would be up in arms about how he is such a poor representation of our university and a bad role model bla bla bla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFTi7YkrQw

Oh, and he was hammered as well.