2024-2025 Season

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
DiLo '94
Freshman

Re: 2024-2025 Season

Post by DiLo '94 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:15 pm

I hope I’m not providing bad info here, but I think Makar is joining Maine.
"These guys think they smell blood. They do, but it's their own."

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:03 pm

Does any one know what Makars plus minus rating was this year ? He seemed to take a lot of costly penalties . if a player is in the penalty box does it go against his plus / minus numbers ?

Though I must admit he did play good in the hockey east playoffs and the NCAA tournament. But throughout the year he seemed to take a lot of penalties.

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:09 pm

pk77 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:03 pm Does any one know what Makars plus minus rating was this year ? He seemed to take a lot of costly penalties . if a player is in the penalty box does it go against his plus / minus numbers ?

Though I must admit he did play good in the hockey east playoffs and the NCAA tournament. But throughout the year he seemed to take a lot of penalties.
You get a plus when you're on the ice when your team scores a goal at even strength or a short handed goal and a minus if you're on the ice when your team gives up a goal at even strength or while on the power play.

Makar was a +2 this season. Not a big loss, single digit point scorer. But he was in Carvel's doghouse it seemed from year one. Maybe will thrive more under Barr.

I agree with TruBluMaroon, the optics aren't good, between him, and on a bigger scale, Ryan Leonard. Whatever the reason was that drove him to BC, it wasn't a good one. Then again, Carvel's is a system that makes the Ufko's & Morrow's shine, it doesn't play to the forwards. As the press clippings say, Carvel has produced a bunch of NHL caliber defensemen. You can't say the same up front. So anyone looking a coming to Amherst probably weighs the Mullins stage vs. other stages that are going to help them shine the best. And it's not here if you're a Ryan Leonard type. I'm sure his brother, father and advisor pointed that out.

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:36 pm

Bleed Maroon, thanks for the information, but the question I have is, if a player is in the penalty box and his team gives up a goal does it go against his plus / minus. As Makar had to lead the team in penalty minutes and at times took stupid penalties and some that were costly. So his +- was really worse than what shows on his record. My feeling is that his +- would be negative and not +2 if we added in goals scored against team when he was in penalty box. Which would mean that we really won't be taking a big hit with him transferring. Though I do wish him luck at Maine.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:45 pm

It doesn't go against his +/- but the coaches are aware of how many goals are scored against the team due to the penalties each player takes.

Makar was tied for 2nd with 11 penalties. Mercuri had the most with 13.

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:09 am

Aaron Bohlinger transfers to Quinnipiac. Best of luck to a great captain.
https://x.com/buccigross/status/1776980 ... 35937?s=46

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:48 pm

bleedmaroon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:09 pm
pk77 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:03 pm Does any one know what Makars plus minus rating was this year ? He seemed to take a lot of costly penalties . if a player is in the penalty box does it go against his plus / minus numbers ?

You get a plus when you're on the ice when your team scores a goal at even strength or a short handed goal and a minus if you're on the ice when your team gives up a goal at even strength or while on the power play.

Makar was a +2 this season. Not a big loss, single digit point scorer. But he was in Carvel's doghouse it seemed from year one. Maybe will thrive more under Barr.

I agree with TruBluMaroon, the optics aren't good, between him, and on a bigger scale, Ryan Leonard. Whatever the reason was that drove him to BC, it wasn't a good one. Then again, Carvel's is a system that makes the Ufko's & Morrow's shine, it doesn't play to the forwards. As the press clippings say, Carvel has produced a bunch of NHL caliber defensemen. You can't say the same up front. So anyone looking a coming to Amherst probably weighs the Mullins stage vs. other stages that are going to help them shine the best. And it's not here if you're a Ryan Leonard type. I'm sure his brother, father and advisor pointed that out.
Leonard said he wanted to play in the Beanpot. UMass doesn’t play in the Beanpot. Unless there’s evidence that contradicts that, I disagree with the bolded sentence. I don’t think it’s a big conspiracy or something Carvel is doing wrong with forwards.

Speaking of which, yes, the UMass to NHL defense pipeline has been strong but there have also been plenty of forwards that have come here and succeeded under Carvel. Off the top of my head transfers like Boeing, Pritchard, Gicewicz, and Wait. If you’d rather freshman Leonard, Chau and Chaffee came in as freshman and all excelled. IIRC Leonard led the nation in goals when Covid cancelled the hockey East tournament. Lopina too. Both he and Leonard came to UMass undrafted and were drafted after their freshmen year.

If for some reason it makes people feel better to have family connections, Jack Musa’s brother (another forward) is coming as a transfer from Dartmouth.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:22 pm

Good point. I'm sure they will try to get a couple MAC teams to play in Hockey to gain awareness of those schools and feed the MAC movement. Not sure if it is worth the travel costs but MAC hockey opponents are more likely.
Refuse To Lose!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:15 am

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:22 pm Good point. I'm sure they will try to get a couple MAC teams to play in Hockey to gain awareness of those schools and feed the MAC movement. Not sure if it is worth the travel costs but MAC hockey opponents are more likely.

There's only 3 MAC schools with hockey: Bowling Green, Miami, and Western Michigan. I do concur, we'll likely see at least one MAC game on the OOC schedule probably starting in 25-26.

This past season:
BG - 13-22-1
Miami - 7-26-3
WM - 21-16-1

Travel costs would me minimal - I can't imagine we'd play all 3 in the same season, and even if we did, we likely wouldn't play all 3 on the road in the same season. If anything, considering our program in the D1 Hockey landscape these days, we'd likely host more often than not. And we've gone to MN, Ireland, WI, and MI in the last 3 seasons, and I assume a trip to Alaska coming up soon.... so going to OH, KY or MI again ain't end of the world stuff.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:52 am

WM plays in the NCHC (National Collegiate Hockey Conference) and made the NCAAs this year…losing to Michigan State in the first round.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

LouMass
Junior

Post by LouMass » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm

Denver downs BU in OT with their third straight 2-1 victory in the tourney. No PP opportunities for BU despite some clear penalties by DU. 3 or 4 PP’s for DU.

BC and Michigan up next.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 pm

Has anyone seen that we have a transfer DMan coming in from Denver U. This was in the Hockey Transfer Portal site:
UMass

F Joey Musa, sr, Dartmouth, 6-11—17 x
D Lucas Olvestad, so, Denver, 0-6—6

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:28 am

Looing back and more importantly looking forward to 24-25:

https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... l-54794543