how much history is kept?

Questions, comments, etc about UMassHoops.com.
dingo38
Junior

Post by dingo38 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm

out of curiosity Mike, how long do you wait before you delete threads, if at all? I mean it is cool to be able to look up stuff from the mid 90's but I'd imagine most of us don't bother doing that all that often. And whether IV and Vor were pissing each other off about something in the fall of 03 probably isn't that interesting to anyone anymore.
Owls will deafen us with incessant hooting!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri May 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Just a point of clarification IV and I have not had a pissing match of any major variety in quite a long time..........
Turns out, just because you write your name on a baby doesn't mean you get to keep it."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Yes... what the hell does a pissing match that he and I had back in 2003 have to do with now or this thread?!?! Kind of pointless to bring up.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri May 30, 2008 3:39 pm

I think part of what dingo meant is how much space the crap takes up along with the stuff that we'd actually want to retain.

The answers: everything since this (version of the) board's inception (5+ years now) has been retained in the Men's Hoop forum. Other forums are "pruned" now and then. History in those is not retained beyond a certain point. How much is kept varies by forum. I don't remember the exact limits.

dingo38
Junior

Post by dingo38 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:56 pm

it was really just a curiosity issue. and Vor and IV, i was merely using you two as an example, i couldn't really remember anyone else's name and frankly you guys post more than almost anyone else so it seemed logical that you would've gotten into it at some point in time. so yeah, pretty much what Mike said.

IV you still want the NES? I've been a huge dbag in getting that to you I realize but it completely slipped my mind with the various personal shit. I won't promise a date this time but I will try to get it out before the end of June. Sorry man.
Owls will deafen us with incessant hooting!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri May 30, 2008 4:53 pm

dingo38 wrote:IV you still want the NES? I've been a huge dbag in getting that to you I realize but it completely slipped my mind with the various personal shit. I won't promise a date this time but I will try to get it out before the end of June. Sorry man.
Perfect case for Private Messages.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Bringing this back to life...

My server has a finite amount of space, so we can't keep everything ever said on the board. Old topics are subject to deletion. My retention policy is whatever I feel like on any given day.

Right now, the Men's Hoop Forum is fully kept back to 2003. At some point I'll have to clean that up too.

Other forums are subject to having old topics deleted. General was wiped after 1 year. The clock starts on the day of the most-recent post to a topic. The other forums may be kept a little longer.

If you feel a topic is worth retaining, make it a "sticky". The first author, or I, can do this. Limit the use of this please, I reserve the right to delete / un-stick any topics.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:07 pm

It is only very rarely that I look back for old posts, so I would not care if everything went. I see that you kept bunches of polls in the General Discussion. I do like the concept of keeping stuff like that to gauge the feelings at a particular point in time (a history lesson if you will) - even better when the predictions are way off base. I just revived the Morris hiring poll in the football forum to show that some people here are pretty observant.

I'd recommend a similar approach for the hoops forum, keeping some of the polls, some of the KAEO threads, and game threads for some of the more memorable games (what, maybe a half dozen a year? - and throw in some bad ones among the good). I like seeing people's projections in the KAEO and polls and their (over)reactions in the game threads. The pissing matches can all disappear.

Whatever it takes to keep this place alive to have a chance to discuss our dire situation or map out our road to the promised land is fine with mine. As always, thanks Mike.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:57 pm

This has been brought up a couple of times lately, so bumping this one back up.

See my write-up 2 posts above, no need to state the same stuff all over again.