New user registrations

Questions, comments, etc about UMassHoops.com.
Bubba
Sophomore

Re: New user registrations

Post by Bubba » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Also glad to help.

On one of the boards I used to run we had a similar problem with opening registration. We added one question to the form, something beyond simple, I believe the question even had the answer, and had it be an open ended field. EVERY bot filled that field with either a "city name", "yes", or "no".

For example "Where is the University of Massachusetts flagship located (city)?"
answer "Amherst".

The moderators of the board could quickly delete bot-users and promote the real people with a quick look. We also allowed new users one post before being moderated, this allowed for a quick one off response, but not too much potential for SPAM. (I don't think that would be wise here.)

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:49 pm

^ Ah hitting them with the old trick questions huh 8)
Bubba wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm
For example "Where is the University of Massachusetts flagship located (city)?"
answer "Amherst".

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:19 pm

I welcomed in a couple new people over the weekend, but forgot to close the door. 18 new spammers tried to make their way in. Just validates that the door needs to be kept closed.

Want in?
  • E-mail me at webmaster at umasshoops dot com. (You can figure out how to put that into a real e-mail address.) You will be registered to the e-mail address you're sending from.
  • Ask to be registered on the board.
  • Tell me what user name you want.
  • Finally, tell me why you want to post on the board. Tell me a little something about UMass, so I know you're for real. Fans of our opponents are also welcome to join.