All this and a Chat Room too

Questions, comments, etc about UMassHoops.com.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

All this and a Chat Room too

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:03 pm

Hey guys,

For those of you who aren't aware, there's a Chat Room with this web site. There was a lot of activity in the Welders game thread tonight, with people looking for and posting updates. The Chat Room is PERFECT for live updates like that.

Please try it out in the future. There are usually people in there during a game that can report the score. (By the way, you can also listen to the games over the web via SportsJuice. So if you're here, you can probably listen in also.)

My site has a finite amount of disk space and bandwidth alloted to it, and its not much. Using the Chat Room for stuff like game updates will save me in both areas. If I run out of space or bandwidth, the site may go down altogether.

Gracias,
Mike

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:10 pm

Mike,

I know you're on limited space, but also just as a thought fully deleting away some old pages on some of these forums would free up some much needed disk space should the need arise, and at times improve load performances.

I don't think 35 pages in the men's forum (which now date back to 2003) is totally needed at this point, and some of the old closed threads that are deeply rooted can also be taken out entirely.

Yes, it opens the door still for more "junk", but relatively speaking I don't think it's ever been extremely off the charts...

Just a thought.
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:52 pm

Cleaning up the old threads will save some disk space, no doubt :)
At some point in the off-season, I'll probably do that. There is some stuff I want to save, some gems buried in the haystack, so I'm not ready to do a clean sweep yet.

Deleting won't save much on performance though, the first page of any forum only displays the 50 most-recent threads.

Just wanted to make a plea to conserve. Every little bit helps. Two years ago when the site went down for a while, it was due to my exceeding the disk space allocation, and my host just turned me off, didn't even notify me beforehand.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:16 am

Mike,

As one of the prime violators last night, I am sorry. My frustration with the game got the better of my common sense.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:16 pm

Chat room has been upgraded. Let me know if you have any problems using it.

As this site is a free service, I look to keep costs down. The chat room will attempt to make pop-up ads. Sorry about that, but it's the only place on this site that does.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:27 pm

Looks great Mike. Thanks!

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:13 am

Been a long time since we've touched this thread, but it may be worth trying a bump. If anyone posting during games on the Men's Hoop forum actually checks this out I'll be amazed, but hey, it's worth a shot.

The trend still is to use the Forum for in-game discussions. There are pages of "Oh, what a disaster!" and "We suck!" interspersed with "What a play!!!" and "Amazing team!!!"

As important as it may be to preserve these insights for posterity, the chat room really would better serve the purpose, no? I think chat room stuff has a short life span, like gone when you log off, and using it might make the kind of breathtaking 720 degree opinion spins and slams now posted on the Forum during a game deniable. At the very least, it will save having to sort pages of heated, thoughtless bunkum from our regular more considered bunkum.

Back in Nov., Mike, you suggested it might make some difference to cost as well. Still true?
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell 'em. L. Armstrong