How about a MAC Conference Board

Questions, comments, etc about UMassHoops.com.
Steve81
Hall of Fame

How about a MAC Conference Board

Post by Steve81 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:22 pm

Hey Mike, There are some MAC topics that cross sports and lately tend to post those that include hoops on the hoops board. But they are primarily hoops and seemily resent leaving the A10. When I posted a topic about the COSA sending congress white papers of special non-employee status, the only comment was - Yes Steve, we know you like the MAC. It seems to be putting salt on some of their wounds and a board for MAC Conference stuff would be nice.

This MAC podcast have some interesting comments that are about hoops, football and other things. Like to post it. This is with the commissioner and will post the questions asked.
https://www.themscpodcast.com/post/mac- ... roundtable

Reporter 1: John, you have two teams in women's basketball right now that have 25+ win seasons [in] Ball State and Toledo. Yet, it will be rare for one of them to make the [NCAA] tournament because they don't win the MAC tournament. Has there been any discussions with the NCAA that may change that to help MAC teams?

Reporter 2: The 14 team playoff has been in discussion for 2026. How does that directly benefit the MAC and the group of five conferences, if at all?

Reporter 2: My second question: [The MAC] just added UMass [starting 2025]. Any talks on potential expansion partners to get us to an even 14?

Reporter 3: This is the first year for the MAC/Sun Belt Challenge here in basketball. I was curious on your thoughts on how that event went?

Reporter 4: Obviously [some] talks about expanding the NCAA tournament. I am seeing the number right now that people seem to think that will be settled on [is] 76. If it does expand are you fearful that it won't benefit the mid-majors but will more benefit the high majors?

Reporter 4: Is it fair to say that the decisions being made [about] the playoffs will have an impact on all of college sports?

Reporter 4: Are you content with the 1.8 billion dollar payout [divided amongst Group of Five conferences] that is expected? It is a little bit more than the past deal.

Reporter 2: You talked about the Sun Belt-MAC Challenge earlier. Are there are opportunities and windows open for similar challenges with other Group of Five conferences, maybe with the Mountain West?

Reporter 5: With the addition of UMass, that leaves 13 teams in the MAC. First of all, how long did those discussions take, and could we see more teams maybe join the conference?

Reporter 6: You mentioned that the TV deal with ESPN has not been finalized. Is there a deadline in your mind for when you'd like that to be done?

Reporter 6: Is that because of the [now defunct] Alliance [between the Big Ten, PAC-12 and ACC]?

Reporter 7: Obviously, you know that NIL has changed the landscape of college sports the last few seasons. How do you think the MAC has handled that and how do you think maybe MAC schools are doing? What draws athletes to your universities?

Reporter 8: The Darthmouth Men's basketball team, obviously they're a certified union right? They're now going to go through the collective bargaining --

Reporter 8: Could the Mid-American Conference survive revenue sharing or [athlete] employment?

Reporter 9: A lot of MAC football teams play bigger opponents like SEC schools, to start the season, and with a lot of injuries happening in those games. What benefits do you see come from those games, aside from the money aspect?
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: How about a MAC Conference Board

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 pm

I vote no, we already have a General Discussion forum for the general discussion stuff.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:27 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 pm I vote no, we already have a General Discussion forum for the general discussion stuff.
This is not general stuff, but sports stuff. :D
It's fine though as will not try to shelter you guys.See the hoop forum :D
https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... =1&t=17145
Go UMass!!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:08 pm

^^^For Reporter #3
Here are this year's results: https://sunbeltsports.org/sports/2023/1 ... tfile.aspx

Seems like a fun concept.

I'd be curious about any thoughts for football results with the same matchups and any thoughts about how UMass would fare in this challenge (both hoops and football).

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:43 pm

For Reporter #1
Been there, done that. Fergetaboutit.

Yes, I know these are rhetorical questions, but such is the life of a mid-major and defines my reluctance for the whole deal.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:55 am

Steve, are you in a 6 figure paid position for the MAC? :lol: