Service Unavailable / Resource Limit Reached

Questions, comments, etc about UMassHoops.com.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: A caution on private messages

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:29 pm

Old Cage wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:02 pm Tonight I received a question via private message here. I wrote out a thoughtful answer and tried to send it. It looks like I took too long, because I had to sign in again, proving that I was not a robot, and my message was gone.

I will write it again, and then copy it, and paste it into a new window after signing in again, and quickly hit send.
Cage - sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately that's a downstream impact of how Cloudflare tries to defend the server. Cloudflare will re-validate you after a certain amount of time, and if you were in the middle of drafting a board post or private message, the draft might get lost after Cloudflare clears you. This has happened to me also, as I edit pages in the Wiki portion of the site.

While Cloudflare is still enabled, if I'm writing something that starts to get long, I select all text and copy just before I hit post or preview. That way if Cloudflare loses the draft, the clipboard still has it.

I need to carve out some time to re-engage with my host provider's support team again. Cloudflare is not a permanent solve and shouldn't be necessary, but for now it's the band aid.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: Service Unavailable / Resource Limit Reached

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:44 pm

Anyone using an Android device to view the site?

Someone e-mailed me and said that Cloudflare is causing trouble on their Android tablet. I'm a Windows PC / iPhone / iPad guy, so I can't replicate.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: Service Unavailable / Resource Limit Reached

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:07 pm

Follow-up: heard from the guy that they disabled a Chrome setting "Desktop", and how Cloudflare passes onto my site. Resolved.

Sorry that Cloudflare is still a thing for now. Haven't had time to follow up on whether taking it down will bring back the original problems.