Board language

Questions, comments, etc about UMassHoops.com.
xlgman
Hall of Fame

Board language

Post by xlgman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:02 am

I'm wondering if there is an unwritten policy regarding the use of profanity on this messgage board. There seems to have been an increase lately and although it isn't out of control IMO, I would like to point out that it is a slippery slope and I have seen other forums become unreadable after it grabs hold and becomes the norm. For the most part, I think this is a pretty civil forum that seems to pretty effectively self police and I hope it will stay that way, especially when the bandwagon starts filling up with newbies.

For the record, I can drop bombs with the best of them but I think it can ruin a good message board and so avoid it as much as I can. Plus, I'd eventually like to see some younger fans get interested and don't want them to grow up too quickly.

I'll step down from my box now...
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 am

Profanity and civility are not tied together. It's just about 2012 and words that you might deem as profanity are much more common in today's everyday lexicon. Civility on the other hand, more commonly ties in with tone of the discussion especially in the form of discussions towards a particular poster.

For instance, someone might post something like:

"Anyone see that play coach called at 2:45 in the 2nd last night? What the fuck was he thinking calling a 3 point play when Big State U had it's best perimeter defenders out there".

Meanwhile, if someone were to post:

"xlgman, what are you talking about? Steve Lappas is not a hall of fame coach. Why are you being such a schmuck?"

The 2nd is outside of civility as it calls out and individual poster. The first is just a casual conversation using the same language you'd hear from people at a sports bar, a party, or some other social atmosphere.

UMassZappa
Freshman

Post by UMassZappa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 am

I see your point Quinn, but the topic was really more about board language than civilty between posters. Even if I'm commenting on an in-game decision by a coach, I can do it without cursing. Without cursing, I might actually use some vocabulary that better illuminates the point I'm trying to get across. Sure I get the emotional element plays a role in the cursing...not to mention beer :wink: ...but as xlgman said, he would like to have some younger posters coming on. I wouldn't want my son reading posts like the example you gave Quinn, but I DO like him showing that kind of passion about his team. There are some who would say that using the word f*@! is uncivil because some people see that word as disrespectful...period. I know it feels like a norm in life, but it's nice to have places where we are forced to go beyond that level of language. Maybe a sports forum isn't that place, but THIS particular forum is relatively clean and for the sake of the youger posters and others as well, it would ne nice to try and keep it as clean as possible. Mike does a great job with this forum, and even though I don't post hardly ever, I read often, and I have read some rough back-and-forths here, but in the end, that passion comes from everyon'e regard for this team and wanting success and it's mostly done without a lot of rough language. So maybe when we preview before a post, we think about the language and its impact on all readers. Good topic.
"Although wherever you are going is in front of you, there is no such thing as straight ahead."
-Jeanette Winterson-

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't ever use that kind of language and do not appreciate people using it around me especially in public places with kids around.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:07 pm

UMassZappa wrote:I see your point Quinn, but the topic was really more about board language than civilty between posters. Even if I'm commenting on an in-game decision by a coach, I can do it without cursing. Without cursing, I might actually use some vocabulary that better illuminates the point I'm trying to get across. Sure I get the emotional element plays a role in the cursing...not to mention beer :wink: ...but as xlgman said, he would like to have some younger posters coming on. I wouldn't want my son reading posts like the example you gave Quinn, but I DO like him showing that kind of passion about his team. There are some who would say that using the word f*@! is uncivil because some people see that word as disrespectful...period. I know it feels like a norm in life, but it's nice to have places where we are forced to go beyond that level of language. Maybe a sports forum isn't that place, but THIS particular forum is relatively clean and for the sake of the youger posters and others as well, it would ne nice to try and keep it as clean as possible. Mike does a great job with this forum, and even though I don't post hardly ever, I read often, and I have read some rough back-and-forths here, but in the end, that passion comes from everyon'e regard for this team and wanting success and it's mostly done without a lot of rough language. So maybe when we preview before a post, we think about the language and its impact on all readers. Good topic.
All great points. However, if you look at the demographic of this site, it ties in greatly with the overall problem we have with UMass athletics: the vast majoritry of the people who even participate on this forum are from a much older demographic. Face it, most of us are in the "fuddy duddy" demographic, including us 90's graduates (in the eyes of current students, recent graduates). Times change, language that once would cause an uproar is much more common in today's society.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, because I do in my own personal choices in the language I use (for the most part and excluding of course my example above). But I also know that we're a small group of posters here and we're definitely skewed older in our demographic. If a younger demo comes here and contributes and shows passion, frankly I couldn't give a care what words they use. All that would matter is if there is uncivil behavior int he form of personal attacks, etc, beyond the universally accepted "Are you serious????" or "Are you crazy????".

PTrainXL
Senior

Post by PTrainXL » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 pm

I think there are two ways to look at it, it is obviously not great and shows signs of lack of intelligence, however, I do it from time to time, so I obviously sound like a hypocrit to begin with.

First:

Lets be honest, over the last few recent years, there hasn't been a heck of a lot to cheer for, and most use this as a spot to vent frustration, and come on now, its even proven to help wtih pain relief: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... o-we-swear
even though the pain we suffer is awful coaching at times or just downright poor play.

Second:

As one noted they do not appreciate profanity around children, I completely agree, however, this isn't really a children board, and almost an escape for some.

Take it as you may be, I know I can try and watch my mouth, or fingers when typing, but lets be honest, if we were winning consistently against quality opponents, I think profanity would decrease and the only profanity would be of joy as to how F*****G great our play was or that dunk. So UMASS its in your court now, time to decrease the profanity.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 pm

As long as it is not being used in a derogatory manner, using profanity can be a wonderful tool to express true emotion.

That being said, I usually find that in written word it is quite unnecessary as you have a much better filter for what comes out.

Example: Watching the FSU game on Thanksgiving my nephew may have learned a couple new words because it was an instant reaction, which does not have the luxury of a backspace button...

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:08 pm

So.. we're getting Tebow'd?
Time to Win

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:37 am

My spoken language can be horrible. Now that I am an educator, (and a parent) I have been working hard to improve on that. I now find myself commenting on student's foul language fairly often. The angle that I take when I talk to the students is that it doesn't necessarily offend me - which makes it easier to discuss use of language with the students. BUT, they need to be aware that some people are deeply offended by foul language, and use of it will color these people's opinion of them in ways they might not be able to recover from.

Written language is a slightly different story. As mentioned previously, you always have the chance to edit. It is very rare that an explicative really is the best word to use to convey a feeling/emotion/etc. Why not take the opportunity to a) avoid offending some people and b) make yourself a better writer/communicator? Its win-win.

I do think the language on the board tends to be pretty clean. I also feel that ethic/religious/sexual preference/cognitive ability slurs are pretty rare on this board, and people get called on these. Lets keep this up!

BUMPA
Sophomore

Post by BUMPA » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:50 am

I find it's like a disease. I don't even realize it sometimes..but I try, I fail, I try, I fail..I certainly mean no ill will..but started swearing when I was 8 because I thought it sounded grown up..and made my parents mad. I thought I'd be able to stop when I had my first child. It didn't. I try, I fail. But I am still working on it 34 years later.

I don't like the personal attacks, the racist b.s. that some can spew..but a well timed f-bomb won't cause me to take my ball and go home.

ps.
My parents gave up trying..and yes, I kiss my mother with that mouth!