Field Hockey scholarship promises unfulfilled.

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
econalum
Hall of Fame

Field Hockey scholarship promises unfulfilled.

Post by econalum » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:37 am

A UMass athlete feels betrayed for losing most of her scholarship for lack of performance on the field. As usual, another UMass hatchet job by Hohler of the Globe. The xfer portal is discussed as to the availability of better athletes after commitments re made.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/29/ ... -155518768
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

dennisdent
Senior

Re: Field Hockey scholarship promises unfulfilled.

Post by dennisdent » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:12 am

Huge hit piece as it didn't look at UMass Lowell or other local state D1 schools to how they treat scholarships. Boy does UMass have a lot of haters in the comment section.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:06 pm

hit piece or not its shady the way this coach is handing out scholarships and then revoking yanking them at the last minute. Hell we are VERY lucky a Kolton Mitchell did not want to stay around Amherst cause we would have been paying for that full ride...

One other thing, the young lady, played a rip roaring ZERO minutes... Maybe ole Barb should have recruited someone who could have contributed or devolped the player better. This is not 2000 where you get a grainy tape and some statistics. She must have seen the girl play somewhere along the line and projected she could play for her.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:20 pm

^This

Not everything is a "hit piece". If this happened to my daughter, I'd be livid!
Word to your motha!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:19 am

Again, it's all about comparators for decent journalism. Otherwise, it's an editorial when decrying the NIL and Portal as well.

NCAA has gotten worse and worse, we'll see if Chuck "Mr. MBTA" can clear this mess up.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:50 pm

Speaking of the NCAA, I wonder when we’ll hear from Charlie?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:12 pm

econalum wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:19 am Again, it's all about comparators for decent journalism. Otherwise, it's an editorial when decrying the NIL and Portal as well.

NCAA has gotten worse and worse, we'll see if Chuck "Mr. MBTA" can clear this mess up.
And again, this is neither a "hit piece" nor a "hatchet job".

I don't see any editorializing here. This is a fact-based article which sheds light on young woman who's family were counting on the offered scholarship to subsidize the COA to attend UMass, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath her when the scholarship was drastically reduced. Maybe this is a legal practice per NCAA guidelines but that doesnt make this any less shady. The athletic department, Bamford, and specifically Weinberg look really bad here and rightfully so.

And you are right about the NCAA getting worse, it is and always has been a cesspool. Hopefully Baker can fix it.
Word to your motha!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:19 pm

PintOGuinness wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:12 pm
And you are right about the NCAA getting worse, it is and always has been a cesspool. Hopefully Baker can fix it.
I agree about the less than honorable move with her scholarship. My main concern is the state of college athletics as you mentioned. Charlie needs to take a hard look at The Portal and NIL and see if there is anything he can do to rectify an out of control situation. Also, I can see this going to court if states say they will not abide by NCAA regulations.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:25 am

PintOGuinness wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:20 pm ^This

Said it was written as a warning to parents about what can happen with scholarships and college athletes; Neon Dion runs off over 50 scholarships and this guy feels that this story needed to be written as a public service! The big loser DS must have been offering his stapler as a reward for a UM hack job!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:35 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:25 am
PintOGuinness wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:20 pm ^This

Said it was written as a warning to parents about what can happen with scholarships and college athletes; Neon Dion runs off over 50 scholarships and this guy feels that this story needed to be written as a public service! The big loser DS must have been offering his stapler as a reward for a UM hack job!!
This is not a hit piece on college scholarships, and what happens. The article was about the coach cutting a player (her right), and not living up to the agreement and "bullying" the family that the scholie is going to stay at 10%. All those guys who stayed at CU are loving life, don't have to deal with Coach Prime and getting a full ride baby!
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC