UMASS WOMEN'S TENNIS PETITION for $252 Infraction

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
KahunaK
Senior

UMASS WOMEN'S TENNIS PETITION for $252 Infraction

Post by KahunaK » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:29 pm

KahunaK
Senior

Re: UMASS WOMEN'S TENNIS PETITION for $252 Infraction

Post by KahunaK » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:09 pm

See below.
Last edited by Old Cage on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

This story continues to grow. Here is a piece written today by Britt for The Players' Tribune:
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... sachusetts

Sign: https://www.change.org/p/ncaa-support-a ... s-the-ncaa
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Email from Ryan today:
Dear UMass Fans and Supporters,

Late yesterday, we were informed by the NCAA that our infractions appeal case has been denied by the Infractions Appeal Committee (IAC), and that the original penalties from the Committee on Infractions (COI) are being upheld. As you can imagine, I am extremely disappointed with this outcome. The violations from 2014-2017 were completely unintentional, and none of the parties involved (administrative staff, coaches, or student-athletes) were aware that these financial missteps took place. When uncovered by our department in 2017, these inadvertent and minor financial aid mistakes were presented to the NCAA enforcement staff immediately. After a lengthy investigation and COI case verdict that was unsatisfactory to us, we appealed these penalties in support of our student-athletes. Unfortunately, after IAC review we were not successful overturning the penalties handed down by the COI. The upheld penalties include a two-year NCAA probation, a self-imposed $5,000 fine, and a vacation of records for the time period ineligible student-athletes participated for UMass. To be clear, NCAA probation is serious but will not significantly impact the good work that we do over the next two years. Probation requires us to submit an annual report to the NCAA demonstrating our corrective measures and educational efforts. In addition, we must inform prospects in the men’s basketball and women’s tennis programs that we are on probation and detail the violations committed.

Attached to this email please find the NCAA decision and our department’s press release for your information.

As always, compliance with NCAA rules is an essential element of our department’s core values. As the leader of our department, I am confident our athletics staff and coaches operate with integrity. As I explained in our case, these violations were administrative in nature, completely unintentional, and did not compromise the collegiate model by providing any recruiting or competitive advantages for our programs. As we move forward, we will continue to insure that our compliance and department operations adhere to all NCAA guidelines.

We appreciate your continued support of UMass Athletics.

Sincerely,

Ryan

Link from Athletics: https://umassathletics.com/news/2021/11 ... ppeal.aspx
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Feel like Cleveland state. Do we have that little juice with the NCAA? I just read a Wall Street Journal article arguing how the NCAA lost much of its bite. Guess they needed to pound their chests a few more times in their weakened structure. However, I'm real glad UMASS appears to be a clean program, although what is the benefit in that?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:34 pm

I'll put this here since it's related.

https://twitter.com/memphisnews/status/ ... 7164300293

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed May 18, 2022 1:33 pm

This is an update on Brittany Collens, who was caught in the middle of this mess. She has been playing professionally, most recently in South America, and has now arrived home. I have paid attention because she is from my town. This piece was just released:
https://globalsportmatters.com/health/2 ... al-tennis/