AD Ryan Bamford

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
UMass02
Senior

Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by UMass02 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:53 pm

The CoA will be huge for hockey as it will give UMass an advantage when recruiting against other schools in HEA that won't offer the CoA. It will also help UMass be competitive with schools that do offer the CoA.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:58 am

Great Q&A between Bamford and Fear The Triangle about hockey.

http://fearthetriangle.com/2015/08/12/v ... n-bamford/

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Glad Bamford talks about UMASS hockey and lacrosse but honestly where will the money come from? So much is going to football and corresponding Title 9 scholarships, that I don't see where he can invest more in these programs unless some big donors appear. If anyone has a good perspective on the finances of the athletic department, it would be great to hear. GO UMASS!

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 am

 Daniel Malone retweeted
UMass Athletics ‏@UMassAthletics · 25m25 minutes ago
Join us in welcoming Ryan Boudway to the @MinutemenClub staff. #UMassFamily http://tinyurl.com/nkyz52c
Daniel Malone ‏@Daniel_Malone · 26m26 minutes ago
Boudway is from Northampton and spent the previous 8 years at Notre Dame in charge of season tickets, premium seating, parking, etc.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:58 am

^ Ryan Boudway had a nice gig at Notre Dame. I know his mom Barbara and dad Jeff (the longtime AD at Northampton HS) enjoyed their trips out to South Bend, but will be glad to have Ryan and family back in the area!

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Here's an interesting twist on the Cost-of-Attendance provision discussed on recent pages here:

The following is from Norm Wood, an ACC reporter from Newport News:

"#Hokies DC Bud Foster said coaching staff will explore fining players money from cost-of-attendance funds as future disciplinary measure.

Foster said some people got in trouble for having players run at 6 am, so fining players' cost-of-attendance funds has been a topic. #Hokies

Foster said teams can also discipline players by taking away game tix. #Hokies have also taken away portions of bowl stipends as punishment.

Of course, Foster added #Hokies coaches have obviously disciplined players by sitting them for quarters, halves or full games.

Foster: "In the real world, if you don't adhere to rules & regs., you get fired. We're not in a position to fire anybody right now." #Hokies"
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 am

Bamford did an extremely candid, 2-hour Twitter Q&A last night. If you haven't seen it, head over to his twitter page and take the time to read it. Continue to be extremely impressed with him and think this was a grand-slam hire.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:24 pm

The athletic program seems to have gotten even worse since Bamford came on board. He has nothing to do with this, but my question is, does he have what it takes as well as the resources to turn this thing around? The first place to start is three new head coaches for the major winter sports. Hockey and women's basketball should happen next year, but it looks like we are stuck with DK for awhile. Then we have the seriously struggling football situation and the now mediocre men's lacrosse program. It is a HUGE clusterf#*% right now.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:25 pm

He definitely needs some time, but also he needs support to make any changes. WBB should have its next coach on staff now in YG. I can't see why hockey can't get a good hire being in HE. I think Whip will get football on track. MBB will be tough with DK's contract tho
Time to Win

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Damn 78, give the dude a second to get his game plan going.

Bamford came into a department that needs a lot of luck and smarts to turn things around.

I have confidence that a lot could start going right very soon.

This coming weekend might be one of the most important weekends in UMass athletics history. We really need the deregulation vote to fail.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 pm

^^^^^^

Did you even read what I wrote? I wrote that Bamford has NOTHING to do with the current sad state of our athletic program. I am just asking whether he has what it takes and has the resources to turn around a program that in its current state is worse than piss poor. I know I wouldn't want to be in his shoes: few wins and hardly any fans for the three revenue generating sports. If he turns it around it will be one of the greatest jobs anyone has done in college sports.

Just curious as to what you could see going right very soon, given the current state of our winter athletics.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:54 am

^ I hinted at it in my post but I'm not going to say it because I'm superstitious and don't want to jinx it.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:56 am

78 wrote:^^^^^^

Did you even read what I wrote? I wrote that Bamford has NOTHING to do with the current sad state of our athletic program. I am just asking whether he has what it takes and has the resources to turn around a program that in its current state is worse than piss poor. I know I wouldn't want to be in his shoes: few wins and hardly any fans for the three revenue generating sports. If he turns it around it will be one of the greatest jobs anyone has done in college sports.

Just curious as to what you could see going right very soon, given the current state of our winter athletics.
I think he does have what it takes. He's young, he's ambitious, he's got the support of the chancellor and of the system president. If he came in to a situation where the chancellor wasn't fully behind the football program or the university president was not a vehement supporter of college athletics it might be different.

He's also got zero loyalty to anyone who was hired before he got here.

I can't speak to WBB at all really except to say that they've been bad for a while. Once that season is over I think a coaching change is coming.

I have a little more background and knowledge of hockey (not like Rocks but no one is :wink:) and I'm confident that Mick is done. Whether he lasts the season or not is the only question. He's not a good coach, the team is only getting worse, and it's painfully obvious he can't get it done. We can scream and shout, and I know we're all frustrated, but I'm staying calm because I really feel Mick is done once the season is, at the latest.

MBB, we've got DK for at least two more years after this one. Have to let his class play together as at least sophs before you fire him, if you fire him. Not singling anyone out but people need to get to stage 5 acceptance with regards to that fact. Let's see what these kids can do once they get here.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:31 am

^ Well stated but logical and reasonable posts are seldom agreed with on these pages. From what I read here on a daily basis it seems to have pretty much gone round the bend and is now trending toward unabashed hatred for the Hockey, WBB and MBB coaches. I think Kellogg gets lumped in with the Hockey and WBB coaches and, imo, I think it's unfair. He certainly hasn't set the world on fire but he certainly isn't in their category either. Say what you will about mediocrity but it sure beats what those other two have been doing for a very long time.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 pm

^^^^^^^

excellent post by rsox1221. That said, as far as I am concerned, mediocrity over 7 plus seasons is almost as bad as suckitude over 3 plus seasons (men's hockey). There's no excuse, however, for the trainwreck that is women's basketball. We are stuck with DK for at least 2 more years. That makes me unhappy, but what are you gonna do? And DK definitely is not in the category of Dawley or Mick. As far as I am concerned, they=AWFUL.