AD Ryan Bamford

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 am

He hasn't squashed the idea....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

Probably one UMass person taking an AD position in Boston is all that is allowed:

Isenberg School of Management
Erin McDermott '96 was hired as director of athletics at Harvard University!
She is the first woman to ever take on this role; we could not be more #McCormackProud

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... t-harvard/
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 pm

A.D. and FB/MBB coaches take pay cuts of 10%+, depending on the person.

https://www.masslive.com/umassbasketbal ... youts.html
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:51 am

RB is not going to BC. Let's hope he doesn't end up at Temple. The old "domino effect".
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
2h
Temple AD Pat Kraft will be new athletic director at Boston College, sources told
@Stadium
. 1st reported by Yahoo

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:33 pm

When I first saw this I was ecstatic. I was guaranteeing a top 4 finish in BB and maybe a conference championship. Upon further review, it's only for secondary sports.
Tyler Byrum
@theTylerByrum
Here is how the A-10 is regionalizing conference play. Teams will be divided into pods & only play teams within those pods. Here's the basic breakdown:
-Davidson, Mason, GW, Richmond, VCU
-Fordham, La Salle, UMass, URI, St. Joe's
-Dayton, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, SLU
Tyler Byrum
@theTylerByrum
4h
Replying to
@theTylerByrum
This is for the seven sports (FH, MSOC, WSOC, WVB, BASE, SOFT, WLAX)

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 pm

I can’t see the A-14 messing with their marquee sport, men’s basketball. I’m glad they were able to keep some semblance of conference play together. It would be a shame to see them do what the CAA did and not have conference games... though my gut tells me many conferences will explore that flex model outside of revenue sports even after the pandemic is over.

The money saved in travel is significant. All conference games for UMass in this setup are bus rides. If UMass can schedule local opponents from southern New England that are one-day round trips, it could be a huge money saver. Hotel costs would be minimal.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 pm

I'd be extremely happy for Ryan if he got a job a Power 5 school but selfishly I hope he stays put. :D

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:20 pm

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:27 pm

You always have to wonder where the truth falls in something like ^ this, but for Komer, who has devoted decades to UMass, to reveal stuff like this publicly, that's not good for Bamford and company.

Komer was Associate Athletic Director / Director of Academic Success.

Taken from his bio on UMassAtlhetics.com, which is bound to get nuked at any moment:
Komer provides academic counseling for student-athletes in the ice hockey, men’s swimming and diving, men’s track and field, men’s cross country, and women’s swimming and diving teams. He works with student-athletes to help provide academic success services including; monitoring eligibility, degree progression, and graduation.

Komer believes in a strong and unified student success strategy, one that fosters and maintains relationships with various offices and departments on-campus for the betterment of student-athletes. He adheres to the philosophies and regulations of the University, NCAA, and various conferences.

As a member of the University’s faculty, Komer previously taught the course UNIVERSITY 193A, "Your Winning Season", which was designed to enhance student-athlete's skills and knowledge in the areas of academic success, personal wellness, and career exploration and learn how to leverage the unique characteristics of being a student-athlete. In 2018, he oversaw the vision, design, and construction of the 6000 sq. ft. Robert '62 and Marianne '77 Foote Academic Success Center as well as the renovation of the Academic Success Suite, both located in the Boyden Building.

Komer has been named a three-time finalist for the University's Outstanding Advisor Award and is an active member of the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics (N4A). He also serves on several councils and committees of the University's Faculty Senate.

Prior to shifting to academics, Komer spent four years as a graduate assistant and Director of Basketball Operations with the men's basketball program, following a four-year stint as head student manager.

A native of South Hadley, Massachusetts, Komer earned his bachelor’s degree from UMass in Sport Management in 1997 and his Master's in Higher Education Administration in 1999.
Matt is taking a big professional risk by burning his bridge in this manner.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:23 pm

Mike.. this happened a few years ago and pissed off a lot of people close to Umass. Matt is a great guy and a devoted alum. I'm glad he brought it out because a few others were fired in the same manner and I feel like he's speaking for more than just himself.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm

This conversation is duplicated over in Men's Hoop. Given that gets more visibility, keep this latest development going over there:
https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... 267#519267

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:47 pm

Reversing course on my logic from the last post. Bamford oversees all sports so this is forum for chatter about him.

The cat is out of the bag now that Bamford's contract was actually already extended. Some details...
https://twitter.com/PatrickogMac/status ... 5945269254
Says the deal is a 5 year extension, through 2026.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 pm

I don't have the time to research this but can someone please list all the UMASS ADs that have won Men's Division 1 National Championships. Thanks.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:10 am

KahunaK wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 pm I don't have the time to research this but can someone please list all the UMASS ADs that have won Men's Division 1 National Championships. Thanks.
ummmm Nascar Bob Marcum who not only oversaw a football national title, had a basketball final four. Not hard to research that one...
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

jjmc85
Senior

Re: We have a winner -- It's Bamford

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:33 pm

Marshmont_63 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 pm Oh boy, I can't wait for the hockey program to improve! :roll:
The eye roll didn’t age well :lol:
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!