AD Ryan Bamford

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
FightMass19
Sophomore

Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by FightMass19 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:31 am

TruBluMaroon wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 pm Getting ready for some big time football and the rise of UMass Athletics, and I check the UM site for some positive info heading into tomorrow and I see that both soccers and field hockey lost and to the athletic powers of UML (MSoc), Siena (WSoc) and UNH (FH)... the secondary sports should have shown more improvement and UM should be a leader at least in the northeast in the “Olympic” sports to help the overall brand.
Well to be fair 2/3 of those teams have relatively new coaching staffs. Takes more than 1-2 years to fully implement the system. Don't think these results necessarily reflect poorly on Bamford. Additionally he's invested a lot of money in the facilities for those 3 teams with Fort Rudd getting a face lift and the new Gladchuk fields. Give it time. Bamford's got the ship sailing in the right direction.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am

Linear periodization is severely outdated, and that's all i have to say about that
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 am

Perhaps a chance to feel better about the state of Athletics. Meet & greet with Bamford, Carvel and McCall on Thursday.
http://umass.fan-one.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c ... be412584a3

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 pm

I hope Mr. Bamford says a prayer every night at the altar of Greg Carvel and the hockey team. It's the only thing preventing him from feeling the heat and so far the only major sport coach hire paying dividends.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:19 am

^ Yabut, he erased McCutcheon. :wink:

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 am

At least for that we can be thankful. Here’s hoping Walt Bell is a home run, because if not, Bamford average is going to dip below the Mendoza line.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 am

He has not erased McCutcheon. McCutcheon is all over the football facility and the basketball facility. The brunt, if not all, of the work to get the donations for those was during his administration. The bball facility allowed hockey to get their new weight room as well.

Nevermind the move to FBS, which was still the right move.

His coaching hires didn't pan out, I get that, and won't argue it. But lets not pretend that everything was awful under his time here. That's disingenuous.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 pm

78 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 pm I hope Mr. Bamford says a prayer every night at the altar of Greg Carvel and the hockey team. It's the only thing preventing him from feeling the heat and so far the only major sport coach hire paying dividends.
Not sure I can't fault Bamford for the other hires. He deserves a lot of credit for selling the hockey program to Carvel. But he didn't have the luxury in the other sports to go out and get a coach of that caliber. Football is hamstrung by a budget that pays the head coach less than what coordinators get in the P5. We should be fortunate that Walt Bell was willing to take a pay cut to come here.

Of course basketball had the Kesley mess but even before that Bamford wanted Mike Rhoades but VCU wanted him too and they won out. So at best he got his 3rd choice and it may have been his 4th or 5th choice if there were other guys from his first round of interviews that were no longer interested.

Women's basketball seems to be making at least some gains with Verdi. Haven't followed that program much but I'll take year over year improvement there.
#maction 🚩#flagship

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Sheck wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 pm Women's basketball seems to be making at least some gains with Verdi. Haven't followed that program much but I'll take year over year improvement there.
Yeah I agree. I mean WBB seems like it's hit or miss (a lot like the men's UMass team as well). But even though they have consistency problems, last year they had the most wins in over a decade. This year they have a good shot of improving upon that and a chance at finishing above .500 (the second time this century IIRC).
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sat May 16, 2020 4:10 pm

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1 ... 5923001344

Bamford listed as a candidate for the BC job after Martin Jarmond bolted to UCLA.
#maction 🚩#flagship

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Bamford would hopefully schedule us at least if he was chosen 😂😂

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat May 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Any thoughts on a career move from a flagship state university with 30,000+ students to a regional religious school with less than half that? I get the athletic conference part of the appeal, and I have no idea on $$$, and maybe those are the only considerations, but is BC a detour on the journey that Ryan wants to make?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:06 pm

I’m not sure I’d call Boston College “regional.” The vast majority of their students are from out of New England IIRC
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sun May 17, 2020 2:26 pm

BC stopped being a regional religious school after Flutie. It is also in a Power 5 conference, we are in a smattering of conferences.

Why would he not take the BC job if offered?
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm

BC is in a Power 5 conference, albeit as a little fish in a big pond. If Bamford got the AD job, I’d totally understand and wish him the best. I don’t think people here were POed when Thorr became the AD at rival Rhode Island. I’d hope they’d feel similarly for Bamford.