AD Ryan Bamford

Any other UMass sports talk? From Softball to Crew, find it in here.
jjmc85
Senior

Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:37 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:10 am
KahunaK wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 pm I don't have the time to research this but can someone please list all the UMASS ADs that have won Men's Division 1 National Championships. Thanks.
ummmm Nascar Bob Marcum who not only oversaw a football national title, had a basketball final four. Not hard to research that one...
I think that’s the point… UMass would be stupid to fire Bamford now. Who is gonna take the job if they see that’s how you get treated for winning in a place that doesn’t win often?
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:40 pm

KahunaK wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 pm I don't have the time to research this but can someone please list all the UMASS ADs that have won Men's Division 1 National Championships. Thanks.
ummmm Nascar Bob Marcum who not only oversaw a football national title, had a basketball final four. Not hard to research that one...
So in 1998, UMASS was in 1-AA (not big boy football according to CM) when it won the national championship and Kentucky beat Syracuse in the NCAA Championship game in 1996. So Marcum did not win a Men's Division 1 National Championship during his time at UMASS. In fact, only one AD has won a Men's Division 1 National Championship while at UMASS and people want to get rid of him????? Hmmmm. That would really entice up-and-coming ADs, football and basketball coaches to come to UMASS.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 am

To be fair, the 98 Championship for Football is more legitimate than any Bowl "Championship."
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:13 am

KahunaK wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:40 pm
So in 1998, UMASS was in 1-AA (not big boy football according to CM) when it won the national championship and Kentucky beat Syracuse in the NCAA Championship game in 1996. So Marcum did not win a Men's Division 1 National Championship during his time at UMASS. In fact, only one AD has won a Men's Division 1 National Championship while at UMASS and people want to get rid of him????? Hmmmm. That would really entice up-and-coming ADs, football and basketball coaches to come to UMASS.
You do realize what the 1 in 1-AA means right?? Look i love Hockey but lets face it, in college sports Hockey doesn't move the needle. Bottom line he runs a dysfunctional dept where most of his employees don't like him. He's fired alumni to bring in his people and pissed off some of the biggest donors in the process.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:22 pm

What would be fair is to measure him on ROI for his budget, in terms of wins, playoff appearances, etc. There should be what we call in marketing the balanced scorecard, including fan engagement and attendance. In that regard for games at Alumni stadium he has made zero or even negative progress.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:01 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:22 pm What would be fair is to measure him on ROI for his budget, in terms of wins, playoff appearances, etc. There should be what we call in marketing the balanced scorecard, including fan engagement and attendance. In that regard for games at Alumni stadium he has made zero or even negative progress.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances
I love this guy! Balance scorecard, what an expression!

Here is the issue, USA Today (yesterday) reported 49m in revenue, but 39m is from student fees and state money. the department is not running on its own.

Total Revenue
Ticket Sales
Contributions
Rights / Licensing
Student Fees
School Funds
Other
2020 $49,384,129 $1,355,171 $2,990,629 $2,086,496 $10,134,039 $29,413,207 $3,404,587
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

econalum
Hall of Fame

Fundraising Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by econalum » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:31 pm

So many of us are being solicited for athletic support this week.

Of course, support your favorite program - mine went to MLAX.

Check out the expectations on fundraising and funds donated by the program. Large gaps for most.

https://minutefund.umass.edu/g/athletics

What I found interesting is that $$ drain FB only looks for 20k, Lax 75k. MLAX and Hockey are drawing by far the most $$$.

To me, this is a black mark on the AD, showing a lack of fundraising ability from general alums, vs. a couple of huge donations, one before his time.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:29 am

^ :? :? :?

Lax asked for more money than football but football got more money than Lax
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Re: Fundraising Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:16 pm

econalum wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:31 pm So many of us are being solicited for athletic support this week.

Of course, support your favorite program - mine went to MLAX.

Check out the expectations on fundraising and funds donated by the program. Large gaps for most.

https://minutefund.umass.edu/g/athletics

What I found interesting is that $$ drain FB only looks for 20k, Lax 75k. MLAX and Hockey are drawing by far the most $$$.

To me, this is a black mark on the AD, showing a lack of fundraising ability from general alums, vs. a couple of huge donations, one before his time.
weren't the two big ones both before his time?

The jacobson brothers was before the stadium reopened in 14, and JFK's donation on the champion center was def before his time.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Fundraising Re: AD Ryan Bamford

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:22 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:16 pm

weren't the two big ones both before his time?

The jacobson brothers was before the stadium reopened in 14, and JFK's donation on the champion center was def before his time.

Correct, the previous admin did most, if not all, of the legwork on those ones. Garret Waller was a major player in the JFK donation.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:16 am

Does anyone ever see Dave Biancamano. He is supposedly the head of Athletic Development. He is like Bamford - the invisible men

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am

I tend to see Dave at events and games quite a bit.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:12 am

He is not nearly as visable as Tim Kenney, Garrett Waller, or Rocco DeLuca when they were in his role. A seemingly nice person, just not the personality of the other three.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:57 am

The previous admins did a good job of reaching out to all their employees too. Developed relationships with the boots on the ground workers. Bamford has done none of this.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:40 am

^^, ^^^, ^^^^

Dave Biancamano...

I have been "working with" Dave as my Athletics Development #1 contact.
I suggest, if interested, reach out to him, and feel free to mention SWM recommended so.

RE: personalities
everyone is different, thank goodness.

Dave, nice guy, who will respond to you, is not Tim nor Garrett.
However, just mentioning Rocco's name in the same sentence as anyone else is ... duh, are you serious?

Watching paint dry has more personality than Rocco had @ UM.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!