Money talks

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: Money talks

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 pm

LS71 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:33 pm Shoulda dropped football and invested in hockey and hoops...men's and women's in both sports.
At least you didn't say "drop down to FCS" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thing is: UMass is an above average-ish flagship State University. USNWR has us at #67 National universities and #25 or so of the public universities. :P :P :P Big schools play FBS, not FCS or D3 or NAIA. My son is looking at Power 5 schools so I'm "dream big".

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 am

LS71 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 pm
At this point we're throwing good money after bad...IMO.

That's just not accurate at all. But yet, that's just your IMO.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 am
Exactly it's my opinion. If I'm wrong, please educate me.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:05 pm

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 am
Exactly it's my opinion. If I'm wrong, please educate me.

I mean, you're on here as much as anyone else... you've (likely) ready numerous times about how the subsidy $ related to football has gone down. Big pay days from schools like Auburn. All of that. I don't need to educate you on this... you already know this just from being on this board. Moving to FBS was a very good move and is far from throwing good money after bad. And it will continue to improve with the conference move. We just need to hope the results on the field do as well.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 pm

^ I hope you're right. How has all that money been spent? The football team has not been good and now we're joining a mediocre conference that essentially flushes basketball down the toilet. How is that good for UMass?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 pm

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 pm ^ I hope you're right. How has all that money been spent? The football team has not been good and now we're joining a mediocre conference that essentially flushes basketball down the toilet. How is that good for UMass?

That money has been spent the same way other schools spend it. Athletics, outside of a small handful of schools, is a negative on the budget sheet. Schools do it as a cost because it is generally good for the image, pride, alumni relations, etc. for the school. While football here hasn't been great since the FBS move, we know that less money for the budget is coming from state and student subsidies, and we know that there has been no pride/image/alumni relations hit based on them not performing well. Hell, the schools academic reputation has skyrocketed during this time and applications have been up... even while we have not performed well. Clearly, something is going right and football isn't bringing anyone down.

In the last 41 years, Basketball has been down the toilet as an A10 participant other than a total of (arguably) 16 year of those years. How is that good for UMass?

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 pm

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 pm ^ I hope you're right. How has all that money been spent? The football team has not been good and now we're joining a mediocre conference that essentially flushes basketball down the toilet. How is that good for UMass?
How has all that money been spent? what do you care? Like it's any of our personal money.........Look at all the public employee salaries and you tell me some provost or whatever is worth $700K - $800K????
The football team has not been gooddid you watch the NMSU or Army games???

and now we're joining a mediocre conference that essentially flushes basketball down the toilet. that is true but all the G5 conferences are mediocre

How is that good for UMass?it's good for UMass because there is a reason that 132 of 134 FBS schools are in conferences. It's self-explanatory

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 pm
That money has been spent the same way other schools spend it. Athletics, outside of a small handful of schools, is a negative on the budget sheet. Schools do it as a cost because it is generally good for the image, pride, alumni relations, etc. for the school.

In the last 41 years, Basketball has been down the toilet as an A10 participant other than a total of (arguably) 16 year of those years. How is that good for UMass?
Agree on these points - it's interesting how that argument regarding money never extends to its logical conclusion. And by the way, I think the whole "basketball vs football" thing is a false dichotomy that needs to go away. Football has had no more to do with basketball's past couple decades of mediocrity than it is responsible for UMass hockey's great successes, and it is likely to remain the case that each sports program will succeed or not succeed on its own merits. As a UMass fan, I find this whole idea toxic, that this should be some kind of zero-sum-game civil war between sports programs.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 pm

DEM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 pm
That money has been spent the same way other schools spend it. Athletics, outside of a small handful of schools, is a negative on the budget sheet. Schools do it as a cost because it is generally good for the image, pride, alumni relations, etc. for the school.

Agree on these points - it's interesting how that argument regarding money never extends to its logical conclusion. And by the way, I think the whole "basketball vs football" thing is a false dichotomy that needs to go away. Football has had no more to do with basketball's past couple decades of mediocrity than it is responsible for UMass hockey's great successes, and it is likely to remain the case that each sports program will succeed or not succeed on its own merits. As a UMass fan, I find this whole idea toxic, that this should be some kind of zero-sum-game civil war between sports programs.
also agree............football or basketball: both UMass. I don't get the "competition"??!!! still can't believe UMass was in a Final Four and was ranked #1 for the final week in 1995-1996. now we can't even get into the NIT or CBI.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 pm

Obviously the money derived from the MAC all sports will increase from being an FBS indy.......only because FBS indy pays virtually no money. We were on TV 5 times? last year. ESPN for NMSU and Army and then ACC TV and SEC TV. But that was only because we were in body bag games. Congrats to the Board of Trustees for actually approving the move. I was sweating it out because I could just see them blowing it off. The A-10 is such a sad sack place: small private schools who had their day generations ago and some who never had much success.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 pm

Bottom line for me is wishing UMass success in everything.

For me it's been basketball first, having been a student when Julius was here. I was a season ticket holder from Gerlufsen's last season right on through Covid....34 years; actually 35, having bought my first when I was a senior so I did have to wait in line to get into the Cage to see Julius play . My cardboard cutout is at the Mully somewhere.

My grandson has gotten me into hockey. Aside from enjoying the game itself, I like that players’ say they send their sons here to play for Carvel.

Football is pretty much an afterthought for me, although I wind up watching most games on TV. Seems like I always have other things happening on Saturdays. If UMass ever does become nationally competitive in football, it'll likely be long after I'm gone.
Last edited by LS71 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:13 am

Completely agreed on the "us vs them" crap that exists within our own fanbase. Hated when Steve81 pulled that shit here, hate seeing it on the basketball side. It is ridiculous.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:16 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:13 am

Completely agreed on the "us vs them" crap that exists within our own fanbase. Hated when Steve81 pulled that shit here, hate seeing it on the basketball side. It is ridiculous.
I've resented us staying in the A10 and wanted out for a long time. Some believe we need to stay in the A10 because it will kill basketball. So took the other side, on how the A10 has not helped our basketball performance and attendance. Winning helps attendance. Went to basketball games in Springfield during the mid 80's at the Civic Center. Could take any seat I wanted, as there may have been 100 fans attending against teams as West Virginia. Do love coach Martin and agree being in the A10 did help there and want UMass basketball to succeed. I've encouraged you guys to give during the April fund drive and to the Mass Collective. Personally thought I would cut my athletic donations from just over a couple of thousand in half during my retirement years. When I was a young kid watching college football on TV and seeing teams from Michigan and other state universities would ask why Massachusetts was not on from time to time. Hence focus my donations on primarily on football.

The stuff I hated, since I saw the limitations of the A10, was no upward mobility to be with our other peer A10 founding public institutions. Yes, I'm old but those guys moving was such a benefit to them. Therefore always took the counterpoint of those wanting to stay in the A10. 80% of the posts, which you hated was arguing to leaving the A10. You and others, Innervision are the ones, who would post those divisive lines " football vs basketball", because leaving the A10 was unthinkable.

You have no idea how much I want all UMass sports to succeed, but to attack a fan because his favorite sport is viewed as an attack on your favorite sport is sad. Again, those lines "football vs basketball" is how you interrupted my strong desire to leave the A10. Please give to the Court Club, which I have done in the past and please support Pat and the Massachusetts Collective. Want all sports to succeed and being able to show my pride in UMass Athletes.

Conclusion that you don't have pay attention to is, please stop posting Steve81 posting basketball vs Football. My strong desire was to leave the A10, but always want UMass Basketball to succeed.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:20 am

Steve81 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:16 am Conclusion that you don't have pay attention to is, please stop posting Steve81 posting basketball vs Football. My strong desire was to leave the A10, but always wanted UMass Basketball to succeed.

No. That was exactly what you did. I have no doubt that you care about basketball, but you tried to pit bball fans vs football fans over and over and over again to try and make your point. It was awful to read every single day.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:15 am

I'm with IV and Zoo, we've been a pretty bad A-10 basketball school going on 26 years now. 1 NCAA appearance over that period. The basketball first fans should be excited about this move as it vastly improves our chances at actually playing in meaningful games in March which would be conference tournament championships and NCAA tourney games. Early exits from our conference tournament almost every year coupled with almost no NCAA appearances over that span has not been enjoyable. NIT appearances mean next to nothing. I know fans on here don't like to hear that but they don't. I'll take a first round exit from an NCAA tourney game over an NIT championship any day.