UMass is back in the MAC

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

Re: UMass is back in the MAC

Post by stevemaz » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm

i was impressed with todays press conference. The only statement that any of us needed to hear is that revenue's will go up 8 to 10 times. MAC hoop conference is going to blow by the A10.. dont be afraid of change guys!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:41 pm

^^ My intent was not to come off as a jerk. When you included the Akron home attendance, I interpreted it as a comparison and I was offering some probable context for the significant difference.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:43 pm

harbo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:41 pm My intent was not to come off as a jerk. When you included the Akron home attendance, I interpreted it as a comparison and I was offering some probable context for the significant difference.

All good.. appreciate the follow up.

I will note that it does seem most MAC mid-week games do tend to be late October and November, so it is much more likely for colder weather environments than warmer ones.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:55 pm

The later in the season you get, the more meaningful the games can be, so the MAC is looking for the casual fans to tune in to the Prime Time games. It will be a good sign if they sign up UMass for some late season Weekday Prime Time games.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 pm

stevemaz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm i was impressed with todays press conference. The only statement that any of us needed to hear is that revenue's will go up 8 to 10 times. MAC hoop conference is going to blow by the A10.. dont be afraid of change guys!
I was working and couldn't catch the press conf. revenue is going to increase 8x to 10x from being an indy???

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:11 pm

UMass was presented with the MAC Jolly Roger flag that is flown when they beat P5 teams in any sport.

https://shop-mac-sports.com/collections ... 21-flg-blk

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:23 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 pm
stevemaz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm i was impressed with todays press conference. The only statement that any of us needed to hear is that revenue's will go up 8 to 10 times. MAC hoop conference is going to blow by the A10.. dont be afraid of change guys!
I was working and couldn't catch the press conf. revenue is going to increase 8x to 10x from being an indy???

Legit "Quote-UnQuote" from Bamford.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:13 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:23 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:04 pm

Legit "Quote-UnQuote" from Bamford.
Yea he was the one who said it and it could mean just the football revenue or a wild projection. I do think football tv deals will continue to increase, even for the MAC

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:57 pm

Listen for the past hour, actually 1:20 minutes as almost the first 20 minutes was waiting. Talks started in September, they talk about faculty, academics, academic and leadership consortium and our Chancellor jumped in as he was a product of the academic consortium. About building the next department head, deans, chairs, provost etc while Javier Reyes was at Arkansas in the SEC. Seemed very thoughtful, covering athletics, facility, students, campus vision. Not really much rahrahrah. Commissioner Steinbrecher was quietly on campus during a game in November and disappointed did not seem him.

Hey UDel did what was best for them and we did what was best for us. This has a feel of a long term commitment. The investment in athletics will accelerate with 8 to 10 times the conference revenue growth. As our AD said, we are hitting the gas, no brakes. Frank Martin is a real team player, his wife ran track at UMass, football helps raise all programs and their budgets all went up from his career. Don Brown and Frank Martin had offices next to each other at Northeastern. They both recruit in programs that were at the bottom with no bells and whistles. You recruit players that believe in your vision, the school and not the conference.
Last edited by Steve81 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:33 pm

Steve81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:57 pm Listen for the past hour, actually 1:20 minutes as almost the first 20 minutes was waiting. Talks started in September, they talk about faculty, academics, facility consortium and our Chancellor jumped in as he was a product of the facility consortium. Not positive if was called facility consortium, but was about building the next department head, provost etc while Javier Reyes was at Arkansas in the SEC. Seemed very thoughtful, covering athletics, facility, students, campus vision. Not really much rahrahrah. Commissioner Steinbrecher was quietly on campus during a game in November and disappointed did not seem him.

Hey UDel did what was best for them and we did what was best for us. This has a feel of a long term commitment. The investment in athletics will accelerate with 8 to 10 times the conference revenue growth. As our AD said, we are hitting the gas, no brakes. Frank Martin is a real team player, his wife ran track at UMass, football helps raise all programs and their budgets all went up from his career. Don Brown and Frank Martin had offices next to each other at Northeastern. They both recruit in programs that were at the bottom with no bells and whistles. You recruit players that believe in your vision, the school and not the conference.
dude you really need to post the same stuff in two threads? one umass buddy
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:07 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:33 pm dude you really need to post the same stuff in two threads? one umass buddy
Thumbs up, yes we are and very happy about that.
Go UMass!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:12 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:43 pm
harbo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:41 pm My intent was not to come off as a jerk. When you included the Akron home attendance, I interpreted it as a comparison and I was offering some probable context for the significant difference.

I will note that it does seem most MAC mid-week games do tend to be late October and November, so it is much more likely for colder weather environments than warmer ones.
Yes they are there on purpose. Only game in town once the season is up and running.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:29 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:12 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:43 pm

Yes they are there on purpose. Only game in town once the season is up and running.
Oh, and I meant we only hosted one MACtion game. It was kind of fun. Crowd didn’t stick around even though we won.