The football future poll

Get ready for some MACtion

What should UMass athletics do?

Keep the status quo (A-10 for Olympic sports; independence for football)
15%
Join CUSA for Olympic sports
60%
Join the MAC for Olympic sports
25%

Total votes: 40

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: The football future poll

Post by Rolling Ridge » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:20 pm

Steve81 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 amRolling Ridge ask why now. Besides the decline in the A10, new Chancellor, expanded College Playoffs, and 8 years of looking starts looking bad if you can't get your program in a conference....
Just to be clear, I never asked, "why now?" I'm 100% for getting into a football conference ASAP - always have been - and I would totally support the University making an all-sports commitment to get us there. I also said that the changed landscape makes a decision like this more favorable to making an all-sports commitment than it was when we declined the MAC and bid for football membership to CUSA.

All I said was that if the University finds some major flaw in whatever arrangement can be negotiated, then I'd at least listen to why they felt it wasn't a good move at this time. I'd be very disappointed, and very concerned, but I'm not going to call them "incompetent idiots" until I at least hear why they walked away from a legitimate option. If I don't like the explanation, that's one thing, but until then, I trust the University to make the right call for UMass Athletics.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:51 pm

Rolling Ridge wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:20 pm
Steve81 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 amRolling Ridge ask why now. Besides the decline in the A10, new Chancellor, expanded College Playoffs, and 8 years of looking starts looking bad if you can't get your program in a conference....
Just to be clear, I never asked, "why now?" I'm 100% for getting into a football conference ASAP - always have been - and I would totally support the University making an all-sports commitment to get us there. I also said that the changed landscape makes a decision like this more favorable to making an all-sports commitment than it was when we declined the MAC and bid for football membership to CUSA.

All I said was that if the University finds some major flaw in whatever arrangement can be negotiated, then I'd at least listen to why they felt it wasn't a good move at this time. I'd be very disappointed, and very concerned, but I'm not going to call them "incompetent idiots" until I at least hear why they walked away from a legitimate option. If I don't like the explanation, that's one thing, but until then, I trust the University to make the right call for UMass Athletics.

Unbelievable. How dare you be rational.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:21 pm

Innervision, please explain to me how the following post is pitting basketball against football.
Help me understand your repeated comments af accusing me of this with this post. It touched a nerve and many posts* with your typical crap. Please all ears on understand why this post is pitting basketball against football.
Steve81 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 amBesides the decline in the A10, new Chancellor, expanded College Playoffs, and 8 years of looking starts looking bad if you can't get your program in a conference. Then this on Jul 27, 2023
Conference USA Commissioner Seeks to Expand to 12 Teams
JULY 27, 2023 | 01:03 PM | BY ANDREW COHEN
Commissioner Judy MacLeod would “ideally” expand Conference USA to 12 teams.
The league currently has nine members, with Kennesaw State joining as its 10th next year.
Our valuing basketball has kept us from moving till A10 finances really dropped off, plus CUSA is more of a lateral move so the program will not be sacrificing as much going there. Did say as much as will lose a few rivals, but realistically we can still schedule Harvard, URI and for our alums in metro NY, Fordham.
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:06 am Once again, pitting one vs the other. And holy hell, you are all over the map... did the MAC commish finally email you back and say No? You really need to take a break from this stuff. Harvard isn't in the A10, so scheduling them OOC moving forward isn't any different than scheduling them right now OOC. Yikes, Steve... this stuff is going to take minutes off of your life at this rate.
Even though did not separate it, stand by the assumption, we consider Harvard a rivalry as good as any in the A10. The new reasoning for selecting CUSA in this poll is two fold. One, a new chancellor could look at unsuccessful attempts of a football home negatively. Secondly, CUSA interest in expanding to 12 teams announced in late July is significant.

CUSA protects our lady's lacrosse program and other sports do not need to move and yes, basketball is important to most of us.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:49 pm

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:08 pm

TheInsider wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:08 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:04 pm
Sheck wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:04 pm I do wonder if RB and company are feeling a sense of urgency on this.

Next year we have the expanded playoff. For 2024 & 2025 they're taking the top 6 conference champions. They did that based on the P5 + 1 G5 team, but now there's no more Pac-12 which opens up an extra spot for the G5. But once they re-negotiate the TV deal that extra spot probably goes away. So there's a window in the next two years to be in a conference where the champ may get to go to the playoff. If the format started this year Liberty would be in the mix.
And Liberty is in CUSA. And, we can compete with Liberty.
Are you saying CUSA is the news?? Seems like the talk has been MAC until recently when CUSA has popped up a lot
I believe this will be the news and it will be soon.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:12 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:49 pm Image
I'll take this is that either you are simpleton. That you don't go to the NCAA site and evaluate the three conferences and our sports, or you can not explain why you chose the personal attacks or have no interest in doing something other than the status quo.
Go UMass!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:32 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:08 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:04 pm

And Liberty is in CUSA. And, we can compete with Liberty.
Are you saying CUSA is the news?? Seems like the talk has been MAC until recently when CUSA has popped up a lot
I'll take it.. thinking us and Delaware??

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:16 pm

TheInsider wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:32 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:08 pm

I'll take it.. thinking us and Delaware??
Not sure. They may take UConn as football only to keep the rivalry and get Big East hoops games.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:45 pm

If Uconn was smart they would go to CUSA for FB.. thier fans on the other hand would rather stay indy with 6 or 7 P4 games a year... guess they love 2 win seasons

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:28 pm

I could get behind either the MAC or the Conference USA at this point. Prefer the American, but I am not big on basketball tournaments in Texas. C-USA is not nearly as bad as I originally thought and we probably should have joined 10 years ago (or 25 :wink:) if the opportunity was there.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:45 am

Steve81 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:12 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:49 pm Image
I'll take this is that either you are simpleton. That you don't go to the NCAA site and evaluate the three conferences and our sports, or you can not explain why you chose the personal attacks or have no interest in doing something other than the status quo.

No, it's that you still couldn't answer the question (my "mission"), continue to deflect when called out, are repeating the same shit over and over again, and now very purposely ignoring my publicly stated stance of, in fact, not continuing the status quo. My mind was, and is, literally blown at how ridiculous you continue to be.

Of course, you'll ignore this post even if you specifically quote it. Rinse and repeat.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:09 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:28 pm I could get behind either the MAC or the Conference USA at this point. Prefer the American, but I am not big on basketball tournaments in Texas. C-USA is not nearly as bad as I originally thought and we probably should have joined 10 years ago (or 25 :wink:) if the opportunity was there.
I'll take ANY conference. We are missing out on CFP $$$, conference TV $$$, bowl tie-ins, ease of scheduling, etc. Yeah 30 years ago it was totally viable but now I don't know. It's just us and UCan't. :evil: :evil: :evil:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:16 am

ANY conference, exactly. And we've all heard the rumblings of something on the horizon. We know this. We just don't need it beaten into our heads over and over again that the A10 is bad, basketball fans are the devil, etc etc etc.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:32 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:16 am ANY conference, exactly. And we've all heard the rumblings of something on the horizon. We know this. We just don't need it beaten into our heads over and over again that the A10 is bad, basketball fans are the devil, etc etc etc.
The A10 is not bad, but doesn't pay the bills. There is a vocal half dozen of you, that warrant appropriate responses when "beaten into our heads over and over again that UMass Football is bad". :mrgreen:
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:37 am

Steve81 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:32 am
The A10 is not bad, but doesn't pay the bills. There is a vocal half dozen of you, that warrant appropriate responses when "beaten into our heads over and over again that UMass Football is bad". :mrgreen:

Again, mind blown... holy shit, dude. Do you not actually read anything? You continue to lump me in with this crowd and I cannot figure out why. I push back on you because you say the same shit we all already know over and over again, that's it. It's as simple as that. And you turn around and say I don't want us to leave the A10, and/or that I bash football? In what world are you living in? You are losing your mind.