Get ready for some MACtion
Camby4Life
Senior

Re: 2023 Game 12: UConn

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:35 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 am
Camby4Life wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:36 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:00 pm

3-9 and we beat the Vegas over under on wins. I know it sucks to lose but NMSU and Army were great wins
A win is a win in Vegas but can you really celebrate when the season o/u is 2.5 and we finish 3-9?

NMSU was our best win and UConn was our worst loss. Based on the overall resume of the season, does this team finish closer to the best win or worst loss?

I’ll start the voting my saying we are a true 3-9 team and the UConn loss proved it. Looking back at the schedule and how it played out, we had 1 guaranteed win, 5 guaranteed losses, and 6 winnable games where we only went 2-4.
the season came down to one play.. Puma's 8 yard scramble to the 1 yard line vs Auburn. That play ruined the season and there is really no other way to look at it. Next year, i do think Haston will be a viable option as backup QB.
There are other ways to look at it, how about the defense being the worst in the nation? Tough to be a winning team with that stat. Also the offense didn’t really light it up in the NMSU win, they had 13 points heading into the 4th and the defense led to 14 points with a pick 6 and a fumble recovery in red zone.

Yes, the offense would have been more dynamic with a healthy Puma all year, no one is denying that, but it wouldn’t have automatically led to more wins. The offense moved the ball in the few games with Davis slinging it but he threw some bad costly picks. Casula continued to be an awful OC this year.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:59 am

^^^
I think Don is pretty loyal which I find admirable but Casula definitely needs to go. Coen would have been awesome here but it looks like he’s on his way to a potential FBS head coaching job. Good for him!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:37 am

Camby4Life wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:35 am
stevemaz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 am
Camby4Life wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:36 pm

A win is a win in Vegas but can you really celebrate when the season o/u is 2.5 and we finish 3-9?

NMSU was our best win and UConn was our worst loss. Based on the overall resume of the season, does this team finish closer to the best win or worst loss?

I’ll start the voting my saying we are a true 3-9 team and the UConn loss proved it. Looking back at the schedule and how it played out, we had 1 guaranteed win, 5 guaranteed losses, and 6 winnable games where we only went 2-4.
the season came down to one play.. Puma's 8 yard scramble to the 1 yard line vs Auburn. That play ruined the season and there is really no other way to look at it. Next year, i do think Haston will be a viable option as backup QB.
There are other ways to look at it, how about the defense being the worst in the nation? Tough to be a winning team with that stat. Also the offense didn’t really light it up in the NMSU win, they had 13 points heading into the 4th and the defense led to 14 points with a pick 6 and a fumble recovery in red zone.

Yes, the offense would have been more dynamic with a healthy Puma all year, no one is denying that, but it wouldn’t have automatically led to more wins. The offense moved the ball in the few games with Davis slinging it but he threw some bad costly picks. Casula continued to be an awful OC this year.
defense definitely needs to improve but in college football a good goal is pts against to around 27. Part of having a good defense is having a good offense that reduces the opponents series

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 am

inthescoop wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:46 am
PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:22 pm The most intensity from this game has been the twitter feud that the collective guy has against anyone challenging him. Showing off like a total clown.
For those not on Twitter, what’s the detailed update here? We’re curious to know
Basically the football collective guy is pandering how he is the smartest guy in the room and when challenged told a very good umass supporter to eat poop (changed the wording)

I know they are not representatives of the university but this is a bad look to tell another fan to eat poop.

Trust me I don’t agree w things mass collective does but never once has Patrick told anyone to go fly a kite. We might disagree but damn midnight ride guy
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:43 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 am
PreecherJenkins wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:22 pm The most intensity from this game has been the twitter feud that the collective guy has against anyone challenging him. Showing off like a total clown.
For those not on Twitter, what’s the detailed update here? We’re curious to know
Basically the football collective guy is pandering how he is the smartest guy in the room and when challenged told a very good umass supporter to eat poop (changed the wording)
Well, if he is alone in that room the is a very slight chance <2% he might be right.

classof62-64
Sophomore

Post by classof62-64 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:31 pm
classof62-64 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:47 pm Is this the time to ponder if the program is headed in the right direction? With a win today I would have said probably. Now, not so sure.
geez.. get a grip..they are light years better than two years ago. If next year is 3-9 or 4-8 then you can start to worry..
Got a grip. Just trying to get some perspective. This is year 2 of Brown II. If we can't say the program is headed in the right direction, it ain't gonna happen. Seems like consensus is +

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:01 pm

classof62-64 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm
classof62-64 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:47 pm Is this the time to ponder if the program is headed in the right direction? With a win today I would have said probably. Now, not so sure.
geez.. get a grip..they are light years better than two years ago. If next year is 3-9 or 4-8 then you can start to worry..
Got a grip. Just trying to get some perspective. This is year 2 of Brown II. If we can't say the program is headed in the right direction, it ain't gonna happen. Seems like consensus is +
It is headed in right direction. started from scratch and could have won 6 or 7 games in year 2 if the QB doesnt get hurt. We didnt have a backup qb ready to go so yes i can use that as an excuse.. It was a killer for the season
Last edited by stevemaz on Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:22 pm

stevemaz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:01 pm

It is headed in right direction. started from scratch and could have won 6 or 7 games in year 2 if the QB doesnt get hurt. We didnt have a backup qb ready to go so yes i can use that as an excuse.. It was a killer for the season
Where are you getting the 6 or 7 wins with the schedule we played? There were 5 guaranteed losses. You really think this team and coach was capable of going 7-0 in the other 7 games? You might be the only person in the country who believes that.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:44 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Where are you getting the 6 or 7 wins with the schedule we played? There were 5 guaranteed losses. You really think this team and coach was capable of going 7-0 in the other 7 games? You might be the only person in the country who believes that.
They were three plays from winning two more games, IMO. New Mexico and Eastern Michigan. The Miami game was cursed and officiated horrifically. Arkansas State we no showed. I think those games were winnable as well as UConn. Those four would have them at seven. I don’t think NMSU or Army were in the win column to start the season. Those were surprises. I figured NM, Merrimack and UConn to be the most likely wins at the start of the season. Toledo, Penn State, Liberty and Auburn were the teams that played well above us and seemingly out of our league to start the season. What was the fifth team you saw as a loss?

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:26 am

6 wins: EMU, New Mex, Ark State, NMSU, Army, Merrimack, UConn. There's 6 possible or actual wins of the 7 games and we won 3 of them. What killed us is what kills us almost every year: scheduling. If Auburn had been swapped out with Merrimack then we get 6 wins. Puma got hurt in a meaningless body bag game and it killed the season. Sort of like 2024 season: EMU at home to open the season then 2 MAC games and 1AA Wagner. (4-7 this year). Don't be surprised if we are 2-2 after 4 games.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:05 am

I think our offense was going to be good based on week 1 with a healthy Puma, so they start out 4-1. They got wins vs Army and Merrimack for 6 and that leaves UConn game. This is pretty obvious that they were going to win 6 or 7 games and i can think of over 100+ people associated with the program that agree with me.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:26 am

stevemaz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:05 am

I think our offense was going to be good based on week 1 with a healthy Puma, so they start out 4-1. They got wins vs Army and Merrimack for 6 and that leaves UConn game. This is pretty obvious that they were going to win 6 or 7 games and i can think of over 100+ people associated with the program that agree with me.
The scheduling of P5 SEC opponent in week 2 killed the season. The SEC players are bigger faster and stronger so that injuries are inevitable. next year we play THREE SEC teams!!!! Would be in shock if Missouri still comes to McGuirk. But at least they are in the back half of the season. 6 games in the first half against MAC schools and 1AA NEC Wagner could mean we get a couple wins in those first 6 games. Buffalo went 3-9 like us so you never know. EMU at home MIGHT be a win.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:35 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:44 pm

They were three plays from winning two more games, IMO. New Mexico and Eastern Michigan. The Miami game was cursed and officiated horrifically. Arkansas State we no showed. I think those games were winnable as well as UConn. Those four would have them at seven. I don’t think NMSU or Army were in the win column to start the season. Those were surprises. I figured NM, Merrimack and UConn to be the most likely wins at the start of the season. Toledo, Penn State, Liberty and Auburn were the teams that played well above us and seemingly out of our league to start the season. What was the fifth team you saw as a loss?
Miami Oh finished 10-2 and is playing in the mac champ. A team with that resume doesn’t lose to a team like UMass.

The records of the 5 guaranteed losses were 12-0. 11-1, 10-2, 10-2, 6-6.

The records of the remaining 7 winnable games were 9-4, 6-6, 6-6, 5-6, 5-6, 4-8, 3-9.

We got lucky with the timing of the NMSU and Army wins. NMSU is the 9-4 team and Army is one of the 5-6 teams and they have won 3 straight after our loss. Also those were two close wins where a play or two changes the outcome just like the couple of close losses to EMU and NM that you guys keep bringing up so we went 2-2 in the close toss ups.

Even if we replayed those 7 games with a healthy Puma, I’m sticking with my take that we are still a 3 or 4 win team. There’s no way they go 7-0 against those teams.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:41 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 am

I know they are not representatives of the university but this is a bad look to tell another fan to eat poop.

Trust me I don’t agree w things mass collective does but never once has Patrick told anyone to go fly a kite. We might disagree but damn midnight ride guy

You can say "eat shit" here - it's ok. We are all adults!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:42 am

Camby4Life wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:35 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:44 pm

Miami Oh finished 10-2 and is playing in the mac champ. A team with that resume doesn’t lose to a team like UMass.

The records of the 5 guaranteed losses were 12-0. 11-1, 10-2, 10-2, 6-6.

The records of the remaining 7 winnable games were 9-4, 6-6, 6-6, 5-6, 5-6, 4-8, 3-9.

We got lucky with the timing of the NMSU and Army wins. NMSU is the 9-4 team and Army is one of the 5-6 teams and they have won 3 straight after our loss. Also those were two close wins where a play or two changes the outcome just like the couple of close losses to EMU and NM that you guys keep bringing up so we went 2-2 in the close toss ups.

Even if we replayed those 7 games with a healthy Puma, I’m sticking with my take that we are still a 3 or 4 win team. There’s no way they go 7-0 against those teams.
I think we beat Miami in a close game and easily beat EMich and New mexico. The toledo game is also in play since we had a lead at half..