2023 Game 6: Arkansas State

Get ready for some MACtion
kd68
Junior

Re: 2023 Game 6: Arkansas State

Post by kd68 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:05 pm

I don’t think we need to worry about falling out of the bottom 10 if we keep playing like this,

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:20 pm

At least this can dismiss the “if we had Puma playing we would have won” theories.

palm14
Sophomore

Post by palm14 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm

I don't blame anyone for being angry at Brown and questioning his job status. But this feels no different from seasons under other coaches.

The guy who needs to be fired is Ryan Bamford. He may not be solely responsible for UMass Athletics' problems but he hasn't helped and he's the guy who can be axed. He's been terrible at hiring (and firings). Others in the athletic department pulled the strings to get Carvel and Verdi. Brown and Frank all but fell in his lap. They both have struggled but Ryan could have, and would have, hired worse.

He's had plenty of time. He's had time to increase the funding everyone talks about. Fundraising is up (allegedly), but attendance and interest is down. He's pushed away alumni. He's not good to work for. While I like Frank and Carvel will always be a legend in Amherst, I fear very much the winter sports season will not be great either.

It's time for Ryan to go. We have a new Chancellor who seems to care about athletics. It's a good time to do it.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm

Tell me about DB being a defensive “genius”…..

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:47 pm

Hopefully the new chancellor can get us headed in the right direction. I was wondering if Brown reviews game films for his opponent prior to the game. We never seem prepared and dig an early hole. I also hought Brown was suppose to be a defensive genius. I haven’t seen it.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:59 pm

Total embarrassment! Game has passed Don Brown by. He looks as lost as the team plays. Not prepared for the fourth game in a row in the first half!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:01 pm

palm14 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm I don't blame anyone for being angry at Brown and questioning his job status. But this feels no different from seasons under other coaches.

The guy who needs to be fired is Ryan Bamford. He may not be solely responsible for UMass Athletics' problems but he hasn't helped and he's the guy who can be axed. He's been terrible at hiring (and firings). Others in the athletic department pulled the strings to get Carvel and Verdi. Brown and Frank all but fell in his lap. They both have struggled but Ryan could have, and would have, hired worse.

He's had plenty of time. He's had time to increase the funding everyone talks about. Fundraising is up (allegedly), but attendance and interest is down. He's pushed away alumni. He's not good to work for. While I like Frank and Carvel will always be a legend in Amherst, I fear very much the winter sports season will not be great either.

It's time for Ryan to go. We have a new Chancellor who seems to care about athletics. It's a good time to do it.
I agree with this post and have written often that Bamford is an Ivy or NESCAC level AD or assistant AD, in a FBS job.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:07 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:59 pm Total embarrassment! Game has passed Don Brown by. He looks as lost as the team plays. Not prepared for the fourth game in a row in the first half!
This is the 2nd attempt to "re-live" 1998 by turning on the way-back machine and dredging up a coach from the 90's. Let's hope that Merrimac Community College doesn't have a lucky day, or we're headed for 1-11 once again.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:17 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:24 pm To bring some hope, UConn started today’s game up 17-0 and lost!
Well, as I know you know, UMass started down 17-0..and lost. :| :roll: :oops:

The UMass-puke on is shaping up to be this year’s Toilet Bowl.

Feels like UMass’ will move up (or is that down :?) in the bottom 10.
Last edited by LS71 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:20 pm

^Get your tickets early for Umass/Uconn. High demand for that one....yawn....

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:29 pm

I don't understand how a team comes into your stadium and is more jacked up than the home team to start the game or half. It was so obvious AState was pumped up and we didn't match that energy and got down 17 very early. How does that happen? Today it looked like they're just playing it out

Thought 4 wins was a realistic goal this year
Time to Win

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:38 pm

photoman wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:07 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:59 pm Total embarrassment! Game has passed Don Brown by. He looks as lost as the team plays. Not prepared for the fourth game in a row in the first half!
This is the 2nd attempt to "re-live" 1998 by turning on the way-back machine and dredging up a coach from the 90's. Let's hope that Merrimac Community College doesn't have a lucky day, or we're headed for 1-11 once again.
It's either that or pluck a coordinator from a P5 school that's so desperate to be a HC that they'll take the job and take a pay cut to do so. Tried that twice as well with disastrous results. An up and coming coordinator / FCS coach, even a retread HC is going to be selective about which program they're going to coach. We're considered the worst program in FBS. We're not getting anyone better than Don Brown.

Merrimack btw has been much more successful in their transition from D2 to D1 than we have in our transition from FCS to FBS.
#maction 🚩#flagship

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:46 pm

The defense has completely regressed from the start of the season. You can’t win games when you keep giving up 30 first half points. Can’t even blame my usual punching bag Casula since the offense had no chance when the defense is doing nothing. Not sure what the hell our coaches are doing but we have the talent on this roster to not be giving up 50 points to a mediocre sunbelt team. Get it together Don and stop with the fucking injury excuses!! God dammit.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:47 pm

palm14 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm I don't blame anyone for being angry at Brown and questioning his job status. But this feels no different from seasons under other coaches.

Amen brother

Fire bamford
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:47 pm

I was at the game and didn't make it to halftime. I don't want to torture myself by reading all of the posts. We all know what's going on. We are getting beat in the trenches, play calling is poor, our DBs can't cover anyone and our defensive schemes are awful. That sums it up from what I saw in the first half.