2023 Game 1: at New Mexico State

Get ready for some MACtion
TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Re: Week 0, Game 1: NMSU First of 2 ESPN Saturday games.

Post by TheInsider » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:45 am

Impressed by Puma in the pocket. Poised with his head up and knows when to run. Took a look over on the Uconn board for fun. Some nice words for us but a lot of.. NMSU sucks... UMass D is slow and bad. Puma and Simpson are all we have. They also think they will beat NC state this week and probably go 3-0 against the ACC this year :lol: F them.. hope they lose by 40 on Thursday

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:47 am

Well I guess UMass won't be dropping football anytime soon! As a matter of fact I have a feeling that it will be getting more national attention.

Have to give kudos to the strength and conditioning team at UMass. Team was in shape for traveling so far and playing at the altitude of Las Cruces. Players looked jacked and in really good shape (O-line given a pass).

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:49 am

TheInsider wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:45 am Impressed by Puma in the pocket. Poised with his head up and knows when to run. Took a look over on the Uconn board for fun. Some nice words for us but a lot of.. NMSU sucks... UMass D is slow and bad. Puma and Simpson are all we have. They also think they will beat NC state this week and probably go 3-0 against the ACC this year :lol: F them.. hope they lose by 40 on Thursday
Screw them! They are starting a failed Maine QB and I have the feeling that aren't going to surprise anyone this season.

Upstate10
Senior

Post by Upstate10 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:55 am

dennisdent wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:49 am
TheInsider wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:45 am Impressed by Puma in the pocket. Poised with his head up and knows when to run. Took a look over on the Uconn board for fun. Some nice words for us but a lot of.. NMSU sucks... UMass D is slow and bad. Puma and Simpson are all we have. They also think they will beat NC state this week and probably go 3-0 against the ACC this year :lol: F them.. hope they lose by 40 on Thursday
Screw them! They are starting a failed Maine QB and I have the feeling that aren't going to surprise anyone this season.
I bet them under 4.5 wins heavy

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:05 am

dennisdent wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:47 am Well I guess UMass won't be dropping football anytime soon! As a matter of fact I have a feeling that it will be getting more national attention.

Have to give kudos to the strength and conditioning team at UMass. Team was in shape for traveling so far and playing at the altitude of Las Cruces. Players looked jacked and in really good shape (O-line given a pass).
Altitude and the heat…94 at kick-off!

And not fer nuthin’…puke on uconn!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:33 am

Have to tighten up the long pass D.. I know the box looks like NMSU put up a ton of yards but take away the long run and the last garbage drive and we only gave up 300 yards.

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:39 am

eldonabe wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:54 am Don't buy the hype ....

NMST-7 and the Under (45) = easy money
Easy money!!!

Fantastic win. I actually think it was almost a perfect first game in terms of setting up for success the rest of the season. We are clearly in a different tier talent wise than we have been in awhile, Puma can play and there are some weapons at the skill positions. At the same time, there were a lot of things that could be fixed and worked on that will show up on film. Defense stopped flying to the ball in the 4th quarter, probably due to the heat and altitude but Don will be all over that.

Overall, I haven’t felt this good about UMass Football since we moved up to FBS. Last night was amazing and it was well deserved. This team and coaching staff clearly put the work in. Let’s go put a scare into Auburn.

EVERYONE GET TO MCGUIRK ON 9/9!!

GOODY
Junior

Post by GOODY » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:04 pm

Very pleased ! Quarterback and receivers much improved and will get better ! Runners look great! Congratulations guys!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:04 pm

On a side note it was cool to see every TV at the hanger tuned into the game and everyone there was in to it.

DeeDeeBee
Sophomore

Post by DeeDeeBee » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:32 pm

A small detail....I loved the way Taisun handled that very cheap shot to the head on the sidelines early in the game. Very mature reaction....even smiled...didn't hit back (which probably would have drawn a homer foul to offset the penalty). Great stuff.
A big detail...Now...to keep him healthy!!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:50 pm

Upstate10 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:55 am
dennisdent wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:49 am
I bet them under 4.5 wins heavy
Moron sled dog fans. That NMSU team was a 7 win bowl team last year, they're better than suck.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:59 pm

DeeDeeBee wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:32 pm A small detail....I loved the way Taisun handled that very cheap shot to the head on the sidelines early in the game. Very mature reaction....even smiled...didn't hit back (which probably would have drawn a homer foul to offset the penalty). Great stuff.
A big detail...Now...to keep him healthy!!!
The NMSU Announcers had no idea that the hit came from a sideline player…..some director must have told
then after the confusion settled. Can’t imagine what homer announcers will be on the job next Saturday at the full house of Jordan-Hare😁

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:16 pm

Made a donation to the Midnight Ride Collective last night. Will continue to do so after each win this season.

Please try and get involved if you’re able to. Rutherford, the CB who had the pick 6 in the 4th qtr, is at UMass partly because of the Collective.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:16 pm

For those of you that have not been to a home game in several years you need to go this year. Looks like we are going to have an interesting team to watch. Probably will lose on Sat against Auburn but will probably make it close. Living here in NC I will just have to enjoy the games on TV.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:20 pm

Off to Auburn, Alabama with my son this Friday.
I think this game will be closer than you think.