UAB

Get ready for some MACtion
Camby4Life
Senior

Re: UAB

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:23 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:27 am
Camby4Life wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:54 am Are you sure you aren’t Max Page? I just don’t understand your trolling game and DM lecturing. I’m just happy to see I’m not the only one you message on the side.
Ah, yes, Max Page. You mentioned something about trolling? As far as “DM lecturing,” feel free to let everyone here know about all your black friends.
Creep.
What are you even talking about? Lay off the meds again and take a break from crying and asking why like a 5 year old you fucking weirdo.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm

:lol: No doubt he’s max page. UMass football being FBS consumes dumb user name all day every day.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:36 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm :lol: No doubt he’s max page. UMass football being FBS consumes dumb user name all day every day.
The irony is thick on this one.
Camby4Life wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:23 pm What are you even talking about?
We both know better, now don’t we?

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:38 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:36 pm
Quann wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm :lol: No doubt he’s max page. UMass football being FBS consumes dumb user name all day every day.
The irony is thick on this one.
Camby4Life wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:23 pm What are you even talking about?
We both know better, now don’t we?
It’s all in your crazy head.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:24 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:03 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:45 pm
UMass'96 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:26 pm What's your point here? Nothing else better to do on a Friday night in December other than to come here and make a dig at UMass? Did one of the players bang your girlfriend (boyfriend) or something?
I think his point is very clear; some institutions are set up to either legitimately build or maintain 1A football while others are not.
You never miss a chance to disparage the UMass football program do you?

So, do you know definitively that was his point? Or are you inferring this somehow?

Serious question for you JL, what's your end game here? In other words, if you could waive a magic wand, what would you like to see happen with the UMass football program? You don't have to explain why, just what you would consider to be the correct move/direction of the program. Just answer that please.
Dumb User Name is just a troll.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 pm

I really hope we can a win a game or 2 (other than an FCS opponent) in 2023. We came so close a couple of times in 2022. We actually got lucky scheduling Stony Brook. I don't want the program to shut down but I'd actually rather not play football than have to endure the last 4 years infinitely. FCS is beneath us.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:36 pm

I'm sure it goes on, but what if some boosters gave the players some NIL or some $$$$ to catch the football or run for a first down or TD or make a tackle etc would that be "illegal"? I know after watching 30 for 30 that down South boosters buy the 5 star recruits' family a new home etc.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 pm FCS is beneath us.
Marcel Shipp, Steve Baylark, and Kole Ayi, among MANY others, just said “drop fucking dead.”

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:59 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 pm I really hope we can a win a game or 2 (other than an FCS opponent) in 2023. We came so close a couple of times in 2022. We actually got lucky scheduling Stony Brook. I don't want the program to shut down but I'd actually rather not play football than have to endure the last 4 years infinitely. FCS is beneath us.
And there you have it in one single phrase..... Am-Herst in a nutshell. Umass is not above ANYTHING.

When you run a fucking program like low-rent you will get low-rent results. In retrospect Whip did a fucking unbelievable job with what he had to work with here. They still play in a concrete barn, and in a geographic area that could give a flying fuck about college football in any meaningful numbers. They also do not have the resources around the program to compete in the NIL world which makes matter that much worse.

Umass could have a halfway decent existence in FBS - an occasional bowl game and 4-7 wins per year..... given the landmines all over the place, I would give my left nut for that much success. That said, my left nut is pretty safe at this point.

Every single other team who has entered the FBS division since Umass started has won more games than us. EVERY ONE OF THEM with one exception - James Madison who entered in 2022. Want to guess how many wins they had against FBS teams this year? 5

JMU in it's first year in FBS has 5 wins against FBS opponents - more than Umass has had in it's last 4 years combined!

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:58 pm

The last 11 years have been a "perfect storm" of administrative mistakes (that really started in 1978) but specifically over the FBS era. It's the epitome of what NOT to do and doing it over & over!

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:58 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:59 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 pm I really hope we can a win a game or 2 (other than an FCS opponent) in 2023. We came so close a couple of times in 2022. We actually got lucky scheduling Stony Brook. I don't want the program to shut down but I'd actually rather not play football than have to endure the last 4 years infinitely. FCS is beneath us.
And there you have it in one single phrase..... Am-Herst in a nutshell. Umass is not above ANYTHING.

When you run a fucking program like low-rent you will get low-rent results. In retrospect Whip did a fucking unbelievable job with what he had to work with here. They still play in a concrete barn, and in a geographic area that could give a flying fuck about college football in any meaningful numbers. They also do not have the resources around the program to compete in the NIL world which makes matter that much worse.

Umass could have a halfway decent existence in FBS - an occasional bowl game and 4-7 wins per year..... given the landmines all over the place, I would give my left nut for that much success. That said, my left nut is pretty safe at this point.

Every single other team who has entered the FBS division since Umass started has won more games than us. EVERY ONE OF THEM with one exception - James Madison who entered in 2022. Want to guess how many wins they had against FBS teams this year? 5

JMU in it's first year in FBS has 5 wins against FBS opponents - more than Umass has had in it's last 4 years combined!
Are you sure you're not the "other Dumb User Name"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally almost agree with you (especially about Whip) BUT: our "stadium" in on campus as opposed to 30 miles away like you know who; and we pay the coaches REAL DAMN GOOD, especially for all the "success". 800k for ONE win is niiiiiice dough. I'm sure all the assistants are making 100 to 200.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:02 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:58 am

Are you sure you're not the "other Dumb User Name"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally agree with you 99% (especially about Whip) BUT: our "stadium" in on campus as opposed to 30 miles away like you know who; and we pay the coaches REAL DAMN GOOD, especially for all the "success". 800k to DB for ONE win is niiiiiice dough. I'm sure all the assistants are making 100 to 200. give me a job for the fall at 200k. No way I can have WORSE results.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:36 am

Whip was without a doubt the best coach we've ever had. maybe the 1963 coach whose team went undefeated and allowed 12 points all year but Whip was an offensive genius. Very lucky to have had him and he's been OC at a lot of P5 programs. Guess I'm just an old UMie........hope springs eternal. Who knows maybe we'll beat Merrimack for our ONE win?!?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:30 am

Joleon picks up on (and points out) the hypocrisy and blindness of most posters here and many here are thin skinned - to be kind. I happen to appreciate the common sense that he brings. I wish there was more of it. And I can tell you all, he ain't Max Page. He is simply a realist who can see what is going on and call a spade a spade.

I love Umass but I am not a fan of Am-Herst (or it's little sister Northampton). It is overflowing with high-brow elitist educators who think their shit doesn't stink and they know everything. They lack a basic understanding of what is really needed to compete at the highest athletic level in college and don't believe they need to get their hands dirty to do it because they are above all that. I am broad bushing the area a little bit, but I am still batting about .750. Put you pinky's down when you sip your drinks and roll up your sleeves and get into the mud.

If Umass is really going to have success in FBS football they need a few things that may be unattainable. I have already mentioned 2 of them:

- Legit conference affiliation (get back into the MAC for now - but build a base and then do what it takes to get into the ACC or B1G)
- A Real Football Stadium is a must. Spend two years at some other location while you burry McGuirk and put up a real 40K seat Stadium in it's place That location is great and there is room there for the parking etc....
- They desperately need some real deep pocket financial backers for NIL. There are many college players now who are making more than the coaches, Umass does not have the resources (donors) to attract anyone who can change the direction of this program
- They need to blow away BC and UConn in the region and become the #1 college football option in the northeast. It is unlikely they can do that without the previous 3 in place or at least in the works.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:06 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:30 pm FCS is beneath us.
Marcel Shipp, Steve Baylark, and Kole Ayi, among MANY others, just said “drop fucking dead.”
Stop living in the past maaaannnnnnnnnn.