2023 Season

Get ready for some MACtion
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: 2023 Season

Post by Quann » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 am

We beat Merrimack and that's it. 1 FBS win in year 2 and Don's hot seat is on fire. Not acceptable.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:08 am

Quann wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 am We beat Merrimack and that's it. 1 FBS win in year 2 and Don's hot seat is on fire. Not acceptable.

I still think we have a chance at a win vs UConn, even if we end up home dogs by a few in that one. Which, crazy enough, getting to 3 wins would end up meeting the preseason expectations of many.

The start and then favorable early season schedule will always be what we look back on, though... and next year's schedule isn't any easier.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:07 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:08 am
Quann wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 am We beat Merrimack and that's it. 1 FBS win in year 2 and Don's hot seat is on fire. Not acceptable.

I still think we have a chance at a win vs UConn, even if we end up home dogs by a few in that one. Which, crazy enough, getting to 3 wins would end up meeting the preseason expectations of many.

The start and then favorable early season schedule will always be what we look back on, though... and next year's schedule isn't any easier.
I can't count FCS wins as legit wins, if we lose those at home then we are really a mess. I was hoping for a minimum of 3 FBS wins this year and after the first game, I thought that was a given. Even if we beat UConn, 2 FBS wins is still very disappointing.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:12 am

Quann wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:07 am I can't count FCS wins as legit wins, if we lose those at home then we are really a mess. I was hoping for a minimum of 3 FBS wins this year and after the first game, I thought that was a given. Even if we beat UConn, 2 FBS wins is still very disappointing.

That's fair, I get what you mean. I guess I was just simply commenting on your specific point of 1 FBS win. I think 2 is more likely than not, with 3 overall with Merrimack.

Sadly, though, we have lost FCS games in the last bunch of years so who the hell knows what to expect on 11/4.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:27 am

Year 3 will be the make or break year once again for a UMass football coach. IV, I'll take the 3 total wins at this point but I'm definitely disappointed with the expectations going into this year.

Looking ahead to the 2024 schedule, Don needs to win 4 FBS games on that schedule at minimum (Wagner at home needs to be a win so 5 total wins minimum). Anything less and we might have to start looking again at a new direction for the program along with a new AD.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:31 am

Quann wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:07 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:08 am

I can't count FCS wins as legit wins, if we lose those at home then we are really a mess. I was hoping for a minimum of 3 FBS wins this year and after the first game, I thought that was a given. Even if we beat UConn, 2 FBS wins is still very disappointing.
I count FCS, D2, D3, NAIA as legit wins. Since the end of 2018 season, I'll take a win over Hampshire College flag football as a huge victory.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:39 am

Steve81 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:47 am The team is connected. View Army as a close one that we win. Think UConn will be a battle and think a win is possible.
Hoping for 4-8 with the schedule of 2 P5 teams, 2 Top MAC teams. The season will probably be 3-9, which is progress from last season.
We're not beating UConn...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:46 am

Coming out of the Bye Week and with the 4 remaining games, the things I'm looking for are as follows:

-Cleaning up the mistakes/penalties - and if they still exist, the staff holding the players accountable.
-Continued better play calling on O, and better scheming on D
-Overall continued fight from the team... I just do not want to see the team (players and coaching staff) give up. This season might be over from a bowl-chance perspective, but there's still plenty to fight for to improve recruiting chances and general attitude towards next season

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:05 pm

Quann wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:27 am Year 3 will be the make or break year once again for a UMass football coach. IV, I'll take the 3 total wins at this point but I'm definitely disappointed with the expectations going into this year.

Looking ahead to the 2024 schedule, Don needs to win 4 FBS games on that schedule at minimum (Wagner at home needs to be a win so 5 total wins minimum). Anything less and we might have to start looking again at a new direction for the program along with a new AD.
Unless this school gets into a FB conference, Nick-fucking-Saban isn't winning here.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:35 pm

Getting national pub with a reference in a USA Today article on Coach Prime……

One thing that irks Sanders in particular is penalties. The Buffs have committed the most penalties in the nation (69), tied with UMass and New Mexico.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:47 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:05 pm
Quann wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:27 am Year 3 will be the make or break year once again for a UMass football coach. IV, I'll take the 3 total wins at this point but I'm definitely disappointed with the expectations going into this year.

Unless this school gets into a FB conference, Nick-fucking-Saban isn't winning here.
Partly true, but no G5 conference is going to take just football. They are not in the charity business. Definitely agree we need to change conferences ASAP. Believe Don Brown needs time to develop the team. A conference is not a magic bullet, as the A10 has not been magic for the basketball program. But give a good coach a few years and the conference helps. Hoping for Frank to show his stuff. It will take the football program a few years in the conference to build respect and filling future recruitment needs. This absolutely needs to be done with Don Brown as our chances of a good new coach tank and we will continue the independent misery.
Go UMass!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:42 am

Steve81 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:47 am
eldonabe wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:05 pm

Partly true, but no G5 conference is going to take just football. They are not in the charity business. Definitely agree we need to change conferences ASAP. Believe Don Brown needs time to develop the team. A conference is not a magic bullet, as the A10 has not been magic for the basketball program. But give a good coach a few years and the conference helps. Hoping for Frank to show his stuff. It will take the football program a few years in the conference to build respect and filling future recruitment needs. This absolutely needs to be done with Don Brown as our chances of a good new coach tank and we will continue the independent misery.

Partially true? Steve, college athletics is about exposure - look at me!!!

Any player with even remotely average to above average skills will be recruited by schools that gives exposure over Umass. This leaves Umass with under-skilled scraps to stitch together a roster. This is exposed even further on the basketball team as any kid who is decent just transfers out for more exposure (and $$$). IMO Frank is on the back 9, but he still went to a FF and has some street cred... and he can't keep good players either (RJ Luis would have been a stud here).

UMass is outclassed in so many ways in the athletic landscape now - we all know Umass needs a conference - WE ALL KNOW. You can debate and sell it and skys-cream all you want but you are wasting key strokes on this board - nobody here has any control of it, nor does their opinion carry any weight to stay or go. If the Admin says we are moving, everyone here will be on board within a month even if they disagree with the move initially.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 am

Don't think Bamford knows or is in denial. He's loyal to the A10. Perhaps the changing dynamics are changing his views, but as recently as Sept 13, had a communication from the Athletic Department that included football "Affiliation". G5 conferences want full members invested in the conference.
Go UMass!!

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:27 pm

Steve81 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 am Don't think Bamford knows or is in denial. He's loyal to the A10. Perhaps the changing dynamics are changing his views, but as recently as Sept 13, had a communication from the Athletic Department that included football "Affiliation". G5 conferences want full members invested in the conference.
Why does he have this loyalty? There are now rumors floating around that VCU is exploring an exit. The A10 is not immune to all this realignment business.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:15 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:27 pm
Steve81 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 am Don't think Bamford knows or is in denial. He's loyal to the A10. Perhaps the changing dynamics are changing his views, but as recently as Sept 13, had a communication from the Athletic Department that included football "Affiliation". G5 conferences want full members invested in the conference.
Why does he have this loyalty? There are now rumors floating around that VCU is exploring an exit. The A10 is not immune to all this realignment business.
I heard about VCU to the AAC also. Maybe the big people in the ADs office or above "wanted" this to happen. Not good days for UMass football or UMass sports in general. We're going to have a real problem with our football schedule in 2025 and beyond.