Get ready for some MACtion
dennisdent
Senior

Re: Army and Thanksgiving week

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:39 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:44 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:10 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:17 pm

Never punted until this year and has gotten better. Why is he punting? AJ bolted. 74 punts is also the tops. Like I said the scheme to punt in many forms hasn’t been good for him. He is not good at the roll outs. Much better at the “standard” punting. He has been wildly inconsistent. Thought he was on track after the first three or so games then UConn happened.
He's worse then 80 D3 kickers. No excuse for an FBS team to have a punter this bad (especially the one that punts the most). AJ isn't even kicking this season in college. They could have found another punter with the new transfer rules. This is another failure for this season, which hopefully will get fixed. He's had a few good punts but 90% bad.

The Mass Maritime punter averaged 42 yards a kick...The MIT punter was better...

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/d3/ ... dual/17/p2
I wasn’t saying he was good. I was saying for a guy who never punted he was getting better. AJ would have been better. There is no other Pinter on our roster. CJ isn’t even listed as a punter. He’s listed as a kicker. I also was pointing out he gets good distance when not doing the roll out kick, which is about half the time if not more.
Where did I write that I said that you said he was good...He isn't good, he's really bad. How do we know AJ would be better if he can't even start at Ball State this season (the Ball State punter is ranked at 64 while the bottom, CJ is 82) . He got "good distance" on a few kicks, nowhere near enough for the number of times he punted this season. I blame the coaches, not him. What does how he is listed have to do with anything??? :roll: :roll: :roll: He has seven kicks over 50+ this season out of 74, 10%...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:33 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:10 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm Weather seems to be improving... it had been saying rain but now that seems to be changing, and it might hit 50. Still going to be a cold tailgate...
I may not make it to tailgate and may have extra tix. I’ll let you know.

Awesome, thanks!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am

It's trending towards a nice day... I think UMass wins this one.. I know Army just beat up UConn but I think UConn were smelling their own farts a little bit after the Liberty win.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 am

Army runs the wishbone/three back attack and DB knows how to prepare for this (assignment football he calls it). Maybe UConn isn't as well versed in defending it cuz Army had ZERO yards passing and still scored 34 points!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:01 pm

dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:39 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:10 pm

He's worse then 80 D3 kickers. No excuse for an FBS team to have a punter this bad (especially the one that punts the most). AJ isn't even kicking this season in college. They could have found another punter with the new transfer rules. This is another failure for this season, which hopefully will get fixed. He's had a few good punts but 90% bad.

The Mass Maritime punter averaged 42 yards a kick...The MIT punter was better...

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/d3/ ... dual/17/p2
I wasn’t saying he was good. I was saying for a guy who never punted he was getting better. AJ would have been better. There is no other Pinter on our roster. CJ isn’t even listed as a punter. He’s listed as a kicker. I also was pointing out he gets good distance when not doing the roll out kick, which is about half the time if not more.
Where did I write that I said that you said he was good...He isn't good, he's really bad. How do we know AJ would be better if he can't even start at Ball State this season (the Ball State punter is ranked at 64 while the bottom, CJ is 82) . He got "good distance" on a few kicks, nowhere near enough for the number of times he punted this season. I blame the coaches, not him. What does how he is listed have to do with anything??? :roll: :roll: :roll: He has seven kicks over 50+ this season out of 74, 10%...
You didn’t and I didn’t say you did. I said I wasn’t saying he was good to clarify my point. Not even listing him as a punter is a clear statement he isn’t a punter, no? I wasn’t blaming him either. My point was he stepped into and filled a spot the coaches left empty and has gotten better. And, for what it’s worth, I looked up the stats for the best punter in ncaa. When he was a first year guy he averaged 32 and had a long of 52. Now he is averaging 48 with a long of 74. I think they hoped AJ stayed and developed like that guy. He likely would have been better as a first year than that guy. We have had many great punters at UMass and Replacing George George was a big hole to fill.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:01 pm
dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:39 pm

You didn’t and I didn’t say you did. I said I wasn’t saying he was good to clarify my point. Not even listing him as a punter is a clear statement he isn’t a punter, no? I wasn’t blaming him either. My point was he stepped into and filled a spot the coaches left empty and has gotten better. And, for what it’s worth, I looked up the stats for the best punter in ncaa. When he was a first year guy he averaged 32 and had a long of 52. Now he is averaging 48 with a long of 74. I think they hoped AJ stayed and developed like that guy. He likely would have been better as a first year than that guy. We have had many great punters at UMass and Replacing George George was a big hole to fill.
You know we're football Sickos when we are discussing the worse punter on the worst team in FBS. :D I think we can agree on that! I miss the days when we could discuss playing Delaware and others for conference championships and the chance to play for a national championship. :( Not saying that UMass should drop down right now but ten years of being this bad has been really, really rough.

Not just the losing but the really bad quality of the football. That being said, Brown is an excellent head coach and he was able to take a Northeastern program without any support and turn it into a winner within a couple of seasons. I will be patient to watch this play out for the next couple of seasons.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am

Might need two tickets for Army Saturday. Anyone happen to have a pair for sale?..and if so, not even sure they'd be electronically transferrable. Will pay face value. thx. Happy Thanksgiving!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:02 pm

photoman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am Might need two tickets for Army Saturday. Anyone happen to have a pair for sale?..and if so, not even sure they'd be electronically transferrable. Will pay face value. thx. Happy Thanksgiving!
Is the game sold out?

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:34 pm

^ Highly doubt it…..not speaking for him, but just probably wants to help a brother UMHoopster who isn’t going (probably a high number) rather than pay UM….

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:32 pm

photoman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am Might need two tickets for Army Saturday. Anyone happen to have a pair for sale?..and if so, not even sure they'd be electronically transferrable. Will pay face value. thx. Happy Thanksgiving!
I likely have two tickets. I will know for sure tomorrow. I can transfer via text or email.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:04 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:32 pm
I likely have two tickets. I will know for sure tomorrow. I can transfer via text or email.
Thanks. lmk. PM or you can email andy at hellerphoto dot com

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:16 pm

photoman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:04 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:32 pm
Thanks. lmk. PM or you can email andy at hellerphoto dot com
Once I know I will let you know.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:13 pm

What a great first drive to open up this final game. They even scored despite Casula going with gimmick plays on 1st and 2nd goal.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:20 pm

Shout out to my wife, “ They can defend our country, but not UMASS😁

LouMass
Junior

Post by LouMass » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:21 pm

Ground and pound, not sure why Casula try’s these gimmicks. If simple is working, stick with it.