Game Eleven: Texas A&M

Get ready for some MACtion
stevemaz
Senior

Re: Game Eleven: Texas A&M

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:39 am

My only pt about merryweather is that he shouldnt be used for screen passes.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:57 am

Need take a long look at the OC and the QB position in the off-season. Would this offense work with a capable QB? No idea... The fact that Casula took so long to change the offense just a little bit is concerning. A good OC would have looked at the QB room and then the RB's we had and come up with something different. You don't fit the players to the offense.. you scheme the offense to fit the players until you can get the right guys in.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:30 am

^^^
With the right coach, Olson has the tools to be a competent FBS QB. I don’t think his ceiling is higher than that but he’s got some talent. He has no chance with that play calling yesterday though. He’s got a big arm and is pretty good at carving up the middle of the field on slants, yet Casula hardly ever calls those plays. He also barely mixes in screens to help out the run game. It’s so frustrating to watch.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:35 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:39 am My only pt about merryweather is that he shouldnt be used for screen passes.
Agreed but they definitely need to mix in more screens to other guys. That’s a vital part of any good offense. It opens up the run game and keeps the defense from teeing off on the qb every down.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:59 am

There is no chance any of this years's QBs will be our starting QB next year. One good freshman recruit and i would expect one good transfer on the way..

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 am

Quann wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:30 am ^^^
With the right coach, Olson has the tools to be a competent FBS QB. I don’t think his ceiling is higher than that but he’s got some talent. He has no chance with that play calling yesterday though. He’s got a big arm and is pretty good at carving up the middle of the field on slants, yet Casula hardly ever calls those plays. He also barely mixes in screens to help out the run game. It’s so frustrating to watch.
I don't know.. he's like that kid in H.S. that throws 92 and can't hit the strike zone. Big arm doesn't always mean good QB

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:02 am

This offseason is a huge one for Brady. I like the kid but he really has to make a jump to separate himself or I think they will either bring in an older transfer or rotate things again. No idea if Haston is a kid that coukd start day 1, but he looks pretty talented
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:10 am

Floyd wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:02 am This offseason is a huge one for Brady. I like the kid but he really has to make a jump to separate himself or I think they will either bring in an older transfer or rotate things again. No idea if Haston is a kid that coukd start day 1, but he looks pretty talented
I am so ready to move on from our current QBs and start fresh, I think that's a no brainer if we want to compete at a higher level in the next season.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:00 pm

TheInsider wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:57 am The fact that Casula took so long to change the offense just a little bit is concerning. A good OC would have looked at the QB room and then the RB's we had and come up with something different. You don't fit the players to the offense.. you scheme the offense to fit the players until you can get the right guys in.

Yeah, I agree with this

One thing that seems odd to me is, why did Merriweather and the team run the ball so much better last year than this year when the OLine was supposed to be better this year? Aside from a reduced carry load for Ellis, we really didn't have many of those long runs that he had last year. There's talent at RB but it seems like we struggled more than we should have. Lack of a passing attack let teams key on the run I would assume
Time to Win

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:54 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:00 pm
TheInsider wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:57 am The fact that Casula took so long to change the offense just a little bit is concerning. A good OC would have looked at the QB room and then the RB's we had and come up with something different. You don't fit the players to the offense.. you scheme the offense to fit the players until you can get the right guys in.

Yeah, I agree with this

One thing that seems odd to me is, why did Merriweather and the team run the ball so much better last year than this year when the OLine was supposed to be better this year? Aside from a reduced carry load for Ellis, we really didn't have many of those long runs that he had last year. There's talent at RB but it seems like we struggled more than we should have. Lack of a passing attack let teams key on the run I would assume
Yes this...

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:05 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:35 am
stevemaz wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:39 am My only pt about merryweather is that he shouldnt be used for screen passes.
Agreed but they definitely need to mix in more screens to other guys. That’s a vital part of any good offense. It opens up the run game and keeps the defense from teeing off on the qb every down.
Every screen we’ve set up this year has been to a side with more defenders than blockers…..it doesn’t matter who catches the ball.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:07 pm

TheInsider wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 am
Quann wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:30 am ^^^
I don't know.. he's like that kid in H.S. that throws 92 and can't hit the strike zone. Big arm doesn't always mean good QB
He needs to be coached. Mechanics and decision making. Both improve with coaching.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:50 pm

^^^^^
Play calling matters too. You don't call long out patterns when it is cold and rainy. Casula just has zero feel for running an offense.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:10 pm

The Offense is beyond laughable, but they even managed to do the unthinkable, get a "late hit" call on an out of bounds play!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Totally agree Quann.. I have to believe RB at the end if the year has to ask Don.. "what are we doing about the offense?"..