Game 9: @ UConn

Get ready for some MACtion
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 9: @ UConn

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:47 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:37 am
eldonabe wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:02 pm
Yes and thank you for the correction. I was massacring the spelling when I looked that up and did not get a good reference .

No worries, I got the reference but thought the spelling looked off... wanted to make sure it wasn't actually meaning something else as to not confuse others.
I am surprised you got that reference. You are pretty young for that.

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:56 pm

I understand your frustrations as a UConn fan. One suggestion I might make: play two FCS games every year until you get to the point where you are winning 4-5 games a year and then drop one. Army does it. Yes, you would need 7 wins to get bowl eligible but I don't think that is happening in the next few years. It would also increase your chances of getting six true home games every year. I get that two FCS home games isn't a fun sell but if they are local opponents (URI, UNH, Maine, Holy Cross, etc.), I think you can get a decent crowd.

You have to build the program up. Start by scheduling winnable games more frequently. Grow from there.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:00 pm

shizzle787 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:56 pm I understand your frustrations as a UConn fan. One suggestion I might make: play two FCS games every year until you get to the point where you are winning 4-5 games a year and then drop one. Army does it. Yes, you would need 7 wins to get bowl eligible but I don't think that is happening in the next few years. It would also increase your chances of getting six true home games every year. I get that two FCS home games isn't a fun sell but if they are local opponents (URI, UNH, Maine, Holy Cross, etc.), I think you can get a decent crowd.

You have to build the program up. Start by scheduling winnable games more frequently. Grow from there.
let's just stop that UMass is going to get "decent crowds" if we play regional games. We drew 12k at HOME against BC. 12k, (if there were social distancing please chime in, but I do not think there was). We have played URI , Maine, UNH, since moving up to big-boy football, and guess what, it does not move the needle.

We have a schedule with winnable games this year, but we lost those games. Don't worry Jack and other astute football minds on this board will tell you it's okay because we are improving.

UMass' best (only) chance of success is success in the transfer portal, strong NIL deals and an offense the kids want to play in. A new ad would not hurt either.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:25 pm

shizzle787 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:56 pm I understand your frustrations as a UConn fan. One suggestion I might make: play two FCS games every year until you get to the point where you are winning 4-5 games a year and then drop one. Army does it. Yes, you would need 7 wins to get bowl eligible but I don't think that is happening in the next few years. It would also increase your chances of getting six true home games every year. I get that two FCS home games isn't a fun sell but if they are local opponents (URI, UNH, Maine, Holy Cross, etc.), I think you can get a decent crowd.

Not sure if you've watched more then one UMass game but this team plays low quality, boring football. It doesn't matter who is on the home schedule when the the home team product is unwatchable. Playing two home FCS games in front of 9k doesn't pay the bills when you have to pay them to come here as their money game.

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:36 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:25 pm

Not sure if you've watched more then one UMass game but this team plays low quality, boring football. It doesn't matter who is on the home schedule when the the home team product is unwatchable. Playing two home FCS games in front of 9k doesn't pay the bills when you have to pay them to come here as their money game.
You can counter that with two pay day games against SEC, B1G, or ACC schools. The other eight games are home and homes (UConn, Army, 6 G5). Financially, that works out better.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm

shizzle787 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:36 pm

You can counter that with two pay day games against SEC, B1G, or ACC schools. The other eight games are home and homes (UConn, Army, 6 G5). Financially, that works out better.
UMass has been doing this already for years since leaving the MAC: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/umass/ No reason to schedule more then on FCS team right now. Its funny how UConn thinks their all that now, when they were outgained by UMass overall and take away the 75 yard td run, had about 270 total yards. As soon as Mora leaves UConn, they will be back to crap again...Bet he takes another job at the end of this season or next...

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:51 pm

shizzle787 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:36 pm

Shizzle, do you realize what you are suggesting is what UMass has basically done since they became conference less? Do us all a favor and go back to your pukeconn world and go talk about your amazing 5 win season!!!! You are a total CP!!!

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:04 pm

This from a fan of a team that just one season ago was even worse that UMass. Gee, thanks for the advice.... :roll:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 pm

Sage advice - go piss up a rope.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:04 pm

nothing unites this board quick than UConn fans and Jack

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:16 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:04 pm nothing unites this board quick than UConn fans and Jack

I'll take the UConn fans any day, and that's saying a lot!!!!

Bay Area UMie
Sophomore

Post by Bay Area UMie » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:37 pm

Bay Area UMie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:05 pm Mora has done a terrific job at UConn. Five wins, including wins over BC and Fresno State, with a true freshman quarterback who was #4 on the depth chart at the beginning of the year but was elevated after 2 games to #1 status due to injuries. The kid Turner only threw for 60 yards tonight- 6 for 13. No arm strength at all, he is limited to quick slants, screens and 10 yard out patterns. This was a winnable game given UConn’s very limited offensive unit.If Mora beats Liberty or Army and qualifies for a bowl the guy is worthy of some “Coach of The Year” votes-although Lincoln Riley’s quick turnaround at The University of Spoiled Children is my current vote for best coaching performance at this point. We have another opportunity against a very bad, 2-7 Arkansas State team next week. Lose next week and it’s looking like another 1-11 season.
Mora with another huge surprise victory over ranked Liberty-#19 in latest AP poll. He is accomplishing this with a freshman QB who has a very weak arm who can’t throw the ball with accuracy beyond 10-yards (Turner only threw for 100 yards against Liberty.) Mora’s name is starting to surface around currently open and potentially open PAC 12 jobs (soon to be the PAC 10). The Colorado job is a possibility, but David Shaw is sitting on a very hot seat after 12 years at Stanford- the Cardinal hasn’t had a winning season in 4 years. If Stanford loses to Cal next week, look for cash-rich Stanford-$40b general endowment, $750m athletic endowment- to buy out Shaw for $20m and begin a new search (Shaw is making about $9m per.) Mora with his Bay Area/ PAC-12 ties and strong job at lowly UConn will be an attractive option. Mora is currently only making $1.5m at UConn and his buyout is $8m before 1/1/23 after which it drops to $5m. Gotta believe he will be a strong candidate at both places. I would love to see him at Cal but Cal is saddled with too much athletic debt to buyout current coach Justin Wilcox. Another name you will hear around the Colorado and Stanford jobs is a guy named Troy Taylor, a former NFL backup QB from Cal, who has been the HC at Sacramento State the last 4 years where he has gone 35-7. Sac State has a good shot at winning the FCS national championship. Will UConn move to substantially increase Mora’s salary to keep him away from the PAC-10/12? If he beats Army then wins a bowl game, I think he is heading back to the left coast.