Game 8: New Mexico State

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: Game 8: New Mexico State

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:52 pm

see this is where Dumb User Name shines: historically bad UMass football program. His manta: go back down to FCS. Except that ship sailed 12 years ago. He neglects to see that FBS football is what USNWR top 75 universities do. He'll PM me saying I hate him or "stop getting personal".

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:04 pm

Bay Area UMie hit the nail on the head: structural issues and impossible situation. It's true: no matter what coach or coaching staff you bring in, the results will be the same: a horrendous product on the field any given Saturday. Where Umass football got its nads in a vice was becoming a half decent flagship university where it is a given you play FBS football. Only thing is for whatever reason we suck on the field on Saturdays and probably will barring a miracle. But this is where is one note Johnnies like Dumb User Name shine: horrendous hopeless situation where a harebrained solution seems like a great idea.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:34 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:16 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:02 am Can't drop back down to FCS too embarrassing and we're not Idaho (we're second richest state) so I guess 1-11 for the next 20 seasons.....
Because going 1-11 the next 20 seasons wouldn’t be embarrassing at all.
OK Dumb User Name, what's your suggestion (other than to PM me or just critique my posts)? You want to drop back down to FCS? I'd rather drop the sport altogether and have Mc Guirk as a lacrosse stadium.
“Just critique my posts” says the guy who gets all bent when I ask about the attendance. And, yes, I think PMs are better than your repeated display of public idiocy. But I guess you have some weird requirement for humiliation and prefer to keep any back and forth right here on the board. Your choice. Yes, I WOULD, in fact, rather drop down to 1AA, D3 or drop it altogether. That would be correct, although I confess to some doubt given the compelling arguments drawn from USNWR data on university rankings and state wealth. :lol:

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:34 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:16 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 am

Because going 1-11 the next 20 seasons wouldn’t be embarrassing at all.
OK Dumb User Name, what's your suggestion (other than to PM me or just critique my posts)? You want to drop back down to FCS? I'd rather drop the sport altogether and have Mc Guirk as a lacrosse stadium.
“Just critique my posts” says the guy who gets all bent when I ask about the attendance. And, yes, I think PMs are better than your repeated display of public idiocy. But I guess you have some weird requirement for humiliation and prefer to keep any back and forth right here on the board. Your choice. Yes, I WOULD, in fact, rather drop down to 1AA, D3 or drop it altogether. That would be correct, although I confess to some doubt given the compelling arguments drawn from USNWR data on university rankings and state wealth. :lol:
Finally Dumb User Name!!! "Drop it altogether"!!! FCS works only if you're Cornell or NDSU. It's easy to say drop to a lower level if you're Maine or some MEAC school. Not if you are a flagship university of a 7,000,000 population wealthy state. See Bay Area UMie analyses the situation but offers analysis where as you just offer this nonsense "drop back to FCS:.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm

Long-time posters know where I have stood for 11 years, FBS success was a WEIRD pipe dream. AND 11 years plus have yielded nothing but losses, and a non-involved student, alum, or casual fan.

The trends are clear - the BIG 5, or better Top 2 (Big 10 and SEC) will dominate FBS and sports funding, as will the remaining 3 Power 5.

FCS/low FBS schools will no longer get extravagant paydays for getting slaughtered as the extended size of their leagues will dictate minimal/no-pay games outside of their league.

IMO within 2 years, there will be minimal $$ differences between lower/unaffiliated FBS teams and their FCS brethren. And their subsequent 'paydays'. Minimal. So why not change soon?

This last decade+ shows that UMass will wander in the FB desert forever, if not rationalized.

By the way, please note that our posters represent a TINY minority of UMass fans, alums, etc. We DO NOT represent anyone unless the most rabid UMass followers.

UMass gets no branding nor 'street cred' from the FBS status. Re-establish regional rivalries, be competitive and attract fans.

There is no magic solution, just accept the realities of FBS football. Mass is a pro sports state, just ask BC.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:36 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:03 pm Finally Dumb User Name!!! "Drop it altogether"!!! FCS works only if you're Cornell or NDSU. It's easy to say drop to a lower level if you're Maine or some MEAC school. Not if you are a flagship university of a 7,000,000 population wealthy state. See Bay Area UMie analyses the situation but offers analysis where as you just offer this nonsense "drop back to FCS:.
Man, the flagships of UNH, Montana, URI, South Dakota, and Vermont AND especially the flagships in wealthy states of Delaware, Alaska, and North Dakota better get cracking on that upgrade! And, btw, Maine or “some MEAC school” would have to move up before dropping down. But you knew that (I think). Yes, Bay Area Umie rightly identified “structural issues.” I completely agree with him. That is, significant structural issues that always made big time football a losing proposition in Amherst. I’ve offered “analysis” in previous posts but you don’t like what you read, so you just pretend otherwise, have little tantrums, and make inane observations about user names or how Universities should consult USNWR pop rankings for major institutional decisions.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:50 am

To punt on consecutive 4th and 3s down 3 late in the game showed no balls. Worst team in the country and they're making decisions and calling plays like they're a winning crunch time football team.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:53 am

I don't know why there is such a panic. We are now only 2 years away from a 7-0 start and top 25 ranked program in 2024. Can't you all see the forest through the trees?

Right SteveMaz? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:13 am

Has Casula been fired yet? There's obviously numerous problems, but Saturday showed, once again, what the biggest problem is... I'm shocked that DB has allowed this to continue.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:10 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:53 am I don't know why there is such a panic. We are now only 2 years away from a 7-0 start and top 25 ranked program in 2024. Can't you all see the forest through the trees?

Right SteveMaz? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yes indeed. Look at it this way. we have a representative Defense and under Whipple had a representative Offense so it is possible to field a representative and i dare say good football team at the G5 level.

That said, Casula should have been fired this morning. 8th game vs a lousy team and there has been no improvement. I am pretty sure I could scheme our way to 3 td drives vs the likes of NMS.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:25 am

I've never thought it made sense to go back to FCS but this program has been the among the worst 3 teams in the country for about a half decade now. If they can't find a conference or start getting some wins in the next 1-2 years I'd probably start leaning FCS. Not looking for a debate, just how I am feeling right now.

The one silver lining of this season is the defense getting competitive, which I guess is the bare minimum you'd expect with Brown taking over. If the O could make a similar leap next year they'd at least get a couple wins. With a competent QB coming in they could make that leap. EMU, Temple, and NMSU are all probably wins this year with a decent QB.

Really hard to stay positive as a fan and you gotta wonder how the players can do it. I think there's a path to competitiveness, but I'm not a believer that UMass will be taking it.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:57 am

The fact that UConn is succeeding while we continue to flounder is puzzling! I thought if anybody could turn this around it was DB due to his New England and National Rep but I was wrong! We never knew how inept a DB offense would be because Liam Coen hid ALL those deficiencies! The fact that he picked Casula and then they couldn't find a decent QB this year shb a telltale sign! I'm over it!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:15 pm

DB will take the blame for hiring Casula, but I don't blame DB for the offense unless he doesn't correct it. I didn't blame Whip early for the defense, I blame him for never correcting it.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:00 pm

I'll give DB a few recruiting classes to improve the talent level and get his staff figured out before I bail on this program. If the hoops program can go from worst to first, there's no reason this football program can't be respectable and competitive. Can't even begin to imagine no football at the University of Massachusetts
Time to Win

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:17 pm

Floyd wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:00 pm I'll give DB a few recruiting classes to improve the talent level and get his staff figured out before I bail on this program. If the hoops program can go from worst to first, there's no reason this football program can't be respectable and competitive. Can't even begin to imagine no football at the University of Massachusetts
Don't want to see that happen, but pretty easy to imagine. BU, Northeastern and Hofstra seem to be doing just fine, and once it's gone no one misses it or even thinks about it. That said, I think many on this board have had it up to here with the excuses over the last 10 years. I remember when they first made the move in 2012 the word was that it would be a 3-5 year window before this thing takes off... We're at "wash, rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat..."