Game 8: New Mexico State

Get ready for some MACtion
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: Game 8: New Mexico State

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:02 am

Casula should be fired today. if not then get rid of everybody. 4th and 3 we're driving and moving the chains and only down by 3 late in the 4th. We punt (so we'll put it on our D to get the ball back said the radio announcers) and they go on to score anyway big bomb over the top.
SCARED MONEY DONT MAKE MONEY. totally reminded me of blackjack: you dont double big card came or you split then lose the hand and then the rest of the shoe goes the dealers way.
GIVE YOURSELF A CHANCE. DB or Casula are scared......of what? losing yet another game? To 2-5 NMSU on Homecoming??? please stop this debacle. its sad.
Can't drop back down to FCS too embarrassing and we're not Idaho (we're second richest state) so I guess 1-11 for the next 20 seasons.....

NDR18
Freshman

Post by NDR18 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:39 am

This team has absolutely nothing to lose, nothing! Why not let whoever is the quarterback currently, practice passing the ball. You have one win against a D1aa team and nothing else to show for the season. To run the ball 98% of the time is not doing anything for this team, especially when you’re consistently showing negative yardage most of the time.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:01 am

Wow, glad I missed watching this one. Sounds like not much positive to take from this game
Time to Win

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:15 am

If I were the ultimate decision maker in all this I would do the following:
1) press release after the Army game that we are dropping football as an intercollegiate sport. maybe keep it as a club sport
2) payoff Don Brown the rest of his contract, everybody else is year to year we owe them nothing
3) turn McGuirk into a palace of a lacrosse stadium. Do like Johns Hopkins and apply for immediate admission into the ACC or Big Ten lacrosse member only. Dick Garber would be proud and we can win national championships in Men's and Women's lacrosse.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:40 am

^Come on Zoo, head up. Have you googled 'UMass crosses the rubicon'?

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:47 am

If we somehow pull off the unthinkable and beat UConn on Friday night, this season won’t be a total loss. Should be a pretty good crowd and atmosphere given how well the Huskies are playing. Well for East Hartford standards at least. The season has been worse than I thought but I was expecting a pretty ugly season. If we still look like this next season I’ll be upset but I wasn’t expecting a turnaround like UConn has had this season. I’m done criticizing this team until the offseason. Casula is going to be gone and hopefully we can figure out the QB position for 2023.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:02 am Can't drop back down to FCS too embarrassing and we're not Idaho (we're second richest state) so I guess 1-11 for the next 20 seasons.....
Because going 1-11 the next 20 seasons wouldn’t be embarrassing at all.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:54 am

Everybody talks about firing Casals. Who runs this team. Him or Brown. Is he responsible for the penalties we get, and the late breakdown on defense,?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:56 am

I said I wasn't going to post about football until we won another game but that's not going to happen so I'll do it now. I went to my first game this year yesterday. I follow football, but not as closely as BB or hockey so many of you know more than I do. Here is what I saw:

. Playcalling was way too predictable. Do we ever use play action or a reverse?
. If we are going to "ground and pound", you need a vastly superior O line when the other team knows what's coming. Ours is OK, not good or great.
. Olsen has a good arm but doesn't see the field. Several times he threw into triple coverage in the middle of the field when he had single coverage on
the outside.
. The D was generally OK but horrible breakdowns in the secondary led to a few wide open (by 10 yards) long completions, one for a TD.
. NMSU made some adjustments at the half. Did we?

There's a lot more but my brain can only take so much abuse. NMSU tried to give us the game with dumb penalties but we refused to accept the gift.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:08 pm

kd68 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:54 am Everybody talks about firing Casals. Who runs this team. Him or Brown. Is he responsible for the penalties we get, and the late breakdown on defense,?
Yes, DB is the the head coach and is ultimately responsible for the whole operation. But DB + a good offensive coordinator gives us the best chance to be successful.
#maction 🚩#flagship

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:34 pm

Will DB fire him? If not, suggestions.

RagingCager
Freshman

Post by RagingCager » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:45 pm

If those responsible for overseeing and making hard decisions to right this sinking (already sunken) ship don’t see or comprehend what many are expressing here, perhaps all the empty seats screaming out in the morgue known as McGuirk Stadium will get their attention? ( especially on Homecoming)…. Or perhaps they’re content making their $$ every season using the kids like sacrificial lambs to get a big payday on the road for a game they have no chance to win? Here we are in week 8 after 11 years of this crap, and people are still complaining about the OC and the pathetic play calling, the careless over abundance of foolish penalties, and the atrocious pass defense getting exposed over and over at critical times of the game. At this point of the season, this is all on the Head Coach and those responsible for overseeing the program…. if Casula is not up to the job, why is he still calling plays? Who’s idea was it to punt in the Liberty game from the Liberty 35, down 2 scores on 4th and 4? Why do they still have a job??? Who called for a punt on 4th and 3 in NMS territory after running the ball on 3rd Down? If you are of the mind set to punt in that situation, then shouldn’t you pass the ball on 3rd down to try to pick up the 1st down?

You actually have a guy that is very capable of throwing the ball at this level, if properly coached and developed. Olson threw for over 1100 yards last year with 8 TDs ( 7 int) and had a passer rating of 98.9; people are critical of some of the throws this season, but how much opportunity has he and his receivers had to get in a rhythm? The kid is 6’4” and as far as I can see has a pretty good arm. Perhaps it’s time to hold the head coach and the guy that oversees him, as well as the guy that oversees that guy responsible, instead of blaming the OC, players, and/ or previous coaches. With a new chancellor coming in, maybe they can put their heads together and try to resurrect this sunken ship in a manner similar to what is transpiring with the Men’s Basketball program.

We actually beat UConn last year, but the teams seem to be moving in opposite directions since the recent coaching changes…they brought in a proven Div 1A and NFL coach in Jim Mora, and UMass brought in a well respected Div 1A defensive coordinator and former Div 1 AA head coach in Don Brown…. perhaps the best case scenario to gain success with this struggling program would be an OC like Mark Whipple, and a DC like Don Brown to compliment a head coach capable of overseeing, pulling it all together, and attracting the players needed to get it done. I apologize if I sound like a hater…. I’ve been a dedicated, passionate supporter and fan since the 80s and I’d like nothing more than for Coach Brown to shock us all with a great performance at UConn next week🏈

Bay Area UMie
Sophomore

Post by Bay Area UMie » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:13 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:47 am If we somehow pull off the unthinkable and beat UConn on Friday night, this season won’t be a total loss. Should be a pretty good crowd and atmosphere given how well the Huskies are playing. Well for East Hartford standards at least. The season has been worse than I thought but I was expecting a pretty ugly season. If we still look like this next season I’ll be upset but I wasn’t expecting a turnaround like UConn has had this season. I’m done criticizing this team until the offseason. Casula is going to be gone and hopefully we can figure out the QB position for 2023.
Yes, UConn beat an injury plagued Power 5 BC yesterday, but according to Connecticut press sources the huskies have suffered an inordinate amount of season ending injuries-one source claimed 14 key players are out including the top 3 qbs and top 2 running backs on the depth chart. The starting qb is a true freshman who has difficulty making throws beyond 10-12 yards. If we can somehow generate a balanced offensive attack and score +17 pts I think we can walk away with a win- yes, I know this is a big “if” given that we are averaging an FBS low 12 pts a game (UConn is only averaging 15 per) but this one should at least be very competitive with a decent shot at a win if we get some breaks.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:36 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:47 am If we somehow pull off the unthinkable and beat UConn on Friday night, this season won’t be a total loss. Should be a pretty good crowd and atmosphere given how well the Huskies are playing. Well for East Hartford standards at least. The season has been worse than I thought but I was expecting a pretty ugly season. If we still look like this next season I’ll be upset but I wasn’t expecting a turnaround like UConn has had this season. I’m done criticizing this team until the offseason. Casula is going to be gone and hopefully we can figure out the QB position for 2023.
The good news is puke-on is showing it can be done.

My ideal scenario is that the next HC at Nebraska brings in a new staff, paving the way for a return to Amherst by Whipple…and QB verbal commit Will Watson III decides to come too, rejoining his high school coach at UMass.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:16 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:02 am Can't drop back down to FCS too embarrassing and we're not Idaho (we're second richest state) so I guess 1-11 for the next 20 seasons.....
Because going 1-11 the next 20 seasons wouldn’t be embarrassing at all.
OK Dumb User Name, what's your suggestion (other than to PM me or just critique my posts)? You want to drop back down to FCS? I'd rather drop the sport altogether and have Mc Guirk as a lacrosse stadium.