Game Seven: Buffalo

Get ready for some MACtion
Camby4Life
Senior

Re: Game Seven: Buffalo

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:48 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:50 am
Quann wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:19 pm Casula has to be gone or demoted out of the OC role after this year. I know we don’t have a whole lot of talent at QB but jesus at least try to throw the ball and mix it up a bit.
The pass plays that were attempted yesterday looked like good designs. No execution. Dzuro almost got Johnson killed by throwing him into coverage. The 50/50 balls UMass caught were all the receivers. Wise didn’t throw anywhere near the receivers. And, Dzuro was high on most of his throws.
The best pass plays all season have been the 50/50 jump balls down the sidelines. They have a better chance to move the ball trying that 3 times than whatever offense they are running. It can’t get any worse.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:51 pm

Camby4Life wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:48 pm
The best pass plays all season have been the 50/50 jump balls down the sidelines. They have a better chance to move the ball trying that 3 times than whatever offense they are running. It can’t get any worse.

That would require an adjustment... and I don't think our OC is capable of doing such a thing.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Even just basic pass plays - a swing pass or a pass to the RB in the flat, or simple screen passes - have been completely absent from the play calling.

I get it that maybe you don't have a QB with the arm strength or accuracy to go downfield. But even just basic, simple passes would help to keep the defense honest.

If I were an opposing team, I would play run all game long and dare/wait for UMass to do something different. Even if they beat the defense on one explosive pass play, that wouldn't be enough for me to stop loading the box. UMass hasn't demonstrated anything that proves that they could do it again...

Either Casula knows something fundamentally that we don't about the ability of the QB's to throw the ball or, the guy is incompetent. It's mind boggling to watch this offense.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:05 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:18 pm Even just basic pass plays - a swing pass or a pass to the RB in the flat, or simple screen passes - have been completely absent from the play calling.

I get it that maybe you don't have a QB with the arm strength or accuracy to go downfield. But even just basic, simple passes would help to keep the defense honest.

If I were an opposing team, I would play run all game long and dare/wait for UMass to do something different. Even if they beat the defense on one explosive pass play, that wouldn't be enough for me to stop loading the box. UMass hasn't demonstrated anything that proves that they could do it again...

Either Casula knows something fundamentally that we don't about the ability of the QB's to throw the ball or, the guy is incompetent. It's mind boggling to watch this offense.
They have tried some swing passes and screens. All failed. Some the ball have been overthrown, some under thrown, some way too hot to handle. The one that took the cake though was the screen in this game where there were no blockers out in front. The pass was caught, too. would’ve been better to drop it.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:18 am

I remember the old saying, the best offense is a good defense. We give up a lot of points, get a lot of penalties. Lots to work on.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:59 am

kd68 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:18 am I remember the old saying, the best offense is a good defense. We give up a lot of points, get a lot of penalties. Lots to work on.
our defense is actually not that bad; its the supposed offense that sucks. Only Iowa has a similar points scored but their defense is absolute lights out. Our pass defense is pretty good but we have to be able to throw a forward pass.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:03 pm

we're second to last in offense only better than Iowa but Iowa's defense is absolutely awesome. Can't believe one of our 4 QB's is incapable of throwing a ball 5 or 10 yards to somebody (preferably wearing the same color uniform as us).

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:06 pm

^

We have 1, if not 2, that can do such a thing. We don't have an OC that will allow that to occur.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:37 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:06 pm ^

We have 1, if not 2, that can do such a thing. We don't have an OC that will allow that to occur.
then we have to get rid of the OC. statistically we are identical to NMSU in team offense and defense. We will be coming off a bye and they will be banged up from San Jose State and then a long flight for them. I'm sorry, NMSU is our super bowl for getting another win. Really glad we got Stony Brook this year and not Merrimack. We'd be looking at 0-12.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:49 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:06 pm ^

I think Dzuro is the guy for the rest of the season. I hope so, too. Put Gino in the slot. Run some wildcat with Wise. And get Olson to a a shrink, he’s been worked over a lot.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:10 am

i suspect with the bye they will be working on a few new things on offense. At least that is what a good head coach would do when he see's it isnt working. I would put the QB under center 50% of the time or more and use a power running attack with play action passes and traditional screens.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:37 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:49 pm I think Dzuro is the guy for the rest of the season. I hope so, too. Put Gino in the slot. Run some wildcat with Wise. And get Olson to a a shrink, he’s been worked over a lot.

This would all require creativity, and I'm not sure our OC has that capability. I sure as hell hope I'm wrong.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:41 am

Surprised that he hasn't adjusted to some of the more traditional concepts that Michigan ran while he was there.. would make much more sense for this roster.

LouMass
Junior

Post by LouMass » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:47 am

TheInsider wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:41 am Surprised that he hasn't adjusted to some of the more traditional concepts that Michigan ran while he was there.. would make much more sense for this roster.
Pride goeth before the fall…I’m guessing it’s a pride thing with Casula.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:37 am

LouMass wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:47 am
TheInsider wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:41 am Surprised that he hasn't adjusted to some of the more traditional concepts that Michigan ran while he was there.. would make much more sense for this roster.
Pride goeth before the fall…I’m guessing it’s a pride thing with Casula.
Honest question here... what exactly is Casula's offensive philosophy or approach? What is it he trying to implement or hold onto to be "proud" of? If he isn't adopting more "traditional" concepts, what is doing that's "nontraditional?"

To me, it doesn't appear to be an issue of approach as much as it is that the playbook is extremely limited and completely vanilla. I would think this has a lot to do with the talent (or lack thereof) he has to work with, to which he's reacted with an exceptionally conservative approach. If he's being stubborn about opening it up a little, that's one thing, but if he's shooting for something specific, I'd like to better understand what it is.